Thread: MCM Sale items for resale?

Ashley1972

I know that you're not supposed to resell items bought at the MCM sale and I also know that many people do it anyway because it is legal so my question is this: Is anyone here planning to sell the stuff on ebay or would they be willing to offer them to hostboard members first? I, for one would be willing to pay extra for the time and sweat that someone spent in that hot, stuffy warehouse. I don't have the nerve to ask anyone to pick up anything for me, however, because I know that it is a real chore just to get things for yourself and family members. But if someone happens to pick up an extra thing or two it would be nice to see them sold on HB first.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ June 03, 2006 10:08 PM: Message edited by: AGMom2 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My question is, does the problem arise from "reselling" for a profit?

Say, what if we bought some stuff at the sale, and then decided we didn't want to keep it once we returned home--would we be violating the "no reselling" rule if we let someone purchase it, say on HB, for the same price we paid? Or is that technically a big no-no also?

I know we have some HB members who volunteer at the sale--anyone know the answer?

Linda

Ashley1972

I remember something from last year in a thread saying that although they ask you not to resell anything, legally once it is your property, it is yours to do as you please and they cannot do anything about it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That would be nice. The only thing I really want is the Asian AGT. It might be available on Sunday and I've read I should watch ebay right after the sale. I'd love purchasing from a HB member. I know we've had some discussions before about the ethics of reselling stuff from the sale though. Many people feel strongly one way or another. I wish there was a good way to handle it but...

I do remember how much fun it was to read everyone's stories last year. I'm looking forward to that. Maybe someday I'll get there.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I feel it too. I want to be at the sale soo bad, but it's just not possible for me. When I found out there's likely to be Kaileys I only felt worse--I'm having a horrible time finding a nice one for a reasonable price. And I couldn't care less about an x!

Sigh. By the time I find a way to make it to the sale, in I don't even know how many years, there definitely won't be anymore.

Eventually I know I'll find one, but wow, I HATE waiting.

I hope everyone who does go has a wonderful time and manages to pick up everything they want though. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The last two years saw fewer than 10 Lindseys available to sale goers. If any Kaileys turn up this year... there will be very few. So don't feel bad about missing her this year.

Mary Kate

Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's not quite true that there's nothing that they can do.

If you volunteer for them and resell, they can fire you.

If you buy in huge volumes and they discover you reselling on ebay, they can watch out for you the next year and possibly not let you back into the sale.

I think that if they discover you coming in at several different times, and buying huge amounts each time, they might be able to disallow you from coming through again. Some have been known to do this.

I do know from experience that if a member of our message board sells to another member of our message board, they call this "selling on the internet", and they could fire you for that, if you volunteer for them.

I think that it may be more acceptable if someone going to the sale has already arranged to buy something for somebody and goes with the money from that person in hand---more acceptable than buying some things and then coming back here and listing them for people to choose from.

Joy

Ashley1972

Okay, Joy, I understand what you mean. There is supposed to be one person buying 1 item for me at the sale because I got her tickets for her. I don't feel comfortable asking her to buy more than one thing because it's a lot of work to look for something for yourself let alone another person. So that's why I brought the subject up.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello all!

I am pretty much just going to buy for my girls, no resale. If I had more money I prob would, but don't. It is only a 2.5 hr. drive for me, if it was anything more I prob wouldn't go.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, I agree that I would love to buy sale items from other HB members, but I don't want to feel like I am ripping off my favorite company. But if there are members that wouldn't mind selling to the board I wouldn't mind buying! [img]tongue.gif[/img]