Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am very excited to go to my 1st MCM sale. I just had a question about the "X" that is on the items. Is it on everything? How big is it? Can you remove it? Do the items come with boxes? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There is some kind of mark on everything.

It is usually small and in a spot that is not immediately noticeable.

It is made with permanent marker and not removeable.

They usually do not come with boxes. The dolls come with a box bottom, but sometimes you can ask for a top, but you will have to take whatever kind of top that they give you.

They do not want people to sell things that they buy here, and they have you sign a receipt as you are paying, which includes a statement about re-selling, under the line where you put your signature. Look closely, the print is extremely tiny.

Joy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by americangirlnewbie:
    I am very excited to go to my 1st MCM sale. I just had a question about the "X" that is on the items. Is it on everything? How big is it? Can you remove it? Do the items come with boxes? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The "X" is on everything, yes. It is not big - usually about the size of an "x" from a typewriter I would say. On furniture and the like it is always on the bottom - hidden. On the dolls it is on their behind. I think that the tags on the clothing are all cut - like some outlet stores do. I would guess it might be possible to remove it from hard items like furniture and accessories (that Magic Eraser will take anything out) - I doubt it is possible to remove it from a doll's behind - but I never tried.

Some things come in boxes - but usually brown cardboard boxes. Our horse came in a box last year, the 3-in-1 bed came in a box, I know Kit's table & chairs came in a box. The dolls all come in boxes, but they have no lids. If you happen to have lids at home, they'll fit. Outfits have no box, some of the accessories have no boxes, the trunks are not boxed.

I hope this helps! I'm so excited to go and this is my 5th year - LOL!

Inactive Member americangirlnewbie's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for your quick response. I just don't know if I want a mark on my items. For those of you that have purchased from the sale, does this mark bug you? I am an adult collector and I keep all of my boxes. I am not sure if I want an item with a mark and no box, although the prices sound great. Any more responses would be helpful. Thanks!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Sometimes permanent marker can be removable using rubbing alcohol instead of water.
    It's "permanent" because the molecules in the ink they use are nonpolar... "like dissolves like," so water, which is a polar molecule, can't dissolve permanent marker... but alcohol is nonpolar, like the permanent marker, so sometimes it works (and, some inks are more "permanent" than others)
    There's still a good chance it wouldn't come out of fabric or something, but it's worth a shot to test, since it's been said that the x isn't in a very obvious spot... I was actually curious about this myself, since I didn't know what they used to put the X on.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by americangirlnewbie:
    Thanks for your quick response. I just don't know if I want a mark on my items. For those of you that have purchased from the sale, does this mark bug you? I am an adult collector and I keep all of my boxes. I am not sure if I want an item with a mark and no box, although the prices sound great. Any more responses would be helpful. Thanks!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, we have both a collector and a "player" in the house, we we're probably a bit less discriminating. Quite honestly, I couldn't even tell you where the mark IS on our furniture. I guess you would have to decide if you are collecting to resell, or if you are collecting just for yourself. If you ever want to resell your items, the lack of a box and the "x" would make a difference. If you collect to enjoy the merchandise, then personally I wouldn't think it would matter - as I said, the "x" is very inobtrusive. It is POSSIBLE that you might get something in a box, if it was a return. Things like the Hopscotch Hill Rainbow activity board were never shipped in a "decorated" box, and if they are returned to AG they are usually sold right in the box that was shipped back to AG - if that makes sense. I think that is the case with many of the larger items. HTH!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I had a Kit doll from the sale and didn't mind the x at all. But it depends on if you want your items perfect or not. These are seconds and returns and even if they fix them up some will still have minor flaws. My Kit doll had some small scrapes and her sweater was missing a button. I think others have mentioned minor scratches in furniture and things like that.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I used to think I could never own an 'X'ed' item, but I've completely changed my mind. I bought two items from eBay where the sellers did not disclose the items were from the sale. Josefina's table and chairs came with an X on the bottom of the table leg, and the top of one of the chairs reglued, but you know what? Up on the display shelf, you'd never know, and it's perfectly beautiful just the way it is. In a weird way, the imperfection makes it a little bit more special! My kit trunk is also X'ed, and has a tiny little chip in the back. A little touch up paint and it'll be good as new. The 'X' doesn't bother me anymore. My collecting has evolved as well, though. I used to collect more for resale value, but now I collect for the sheer enjoyment my girls bring me!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We love the sale... but it isn't for everyone. If you need "perfection" it isn't a good fit for you. In terms of the "x" marks... well.. it's "out of sight, out of mind" here.

The truth is that the sale is extremely crowded and not well lit. It is possible you will get an item home and notice a small imperfection. If that will cause you stress, you need to consider that before you go.

Mary Kate

Inactive Member americangirlnewbie's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am still on the fence. I am heading to the sale with my girlfriend who has a daughter. The "X" will not bother them at all. I only have boys, so my AG collection is just used by me. I look at it as an investment and a fun hobby. I cannot believe I am stressing about an "X" !! I really appreciate all of your responses!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast