Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you bid against board members/ friends?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would not knowingly bid against another board member but i know it has happened to me. My ebay name is the same as here .

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't pay a lot of attention to who's bidding or what people's eBay ID's are. Even if I did, I doubt it would stop me from bidding if it was an item I was interested in.

Last time I checked, no one ever shriveled up and died from losing an eBay auction. I should know. I've lost plenty. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I never know who is bidding on an item that I am. And, I don't know anyone's ebay ID from either collector board. So, I may bid on it unknowingly. I wouldn't have a problem with another member/friend getting an item I was bidding on. I guess I would be happy it went to a collector!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

originally posted by mykidsloveag:
    Say- they bid $30, and I was willing to go $40, maybe someone had a snipe in at $35. If I hadn't bid the member wouldn't have gotten it and neither would have I. What fun is that?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is an excellent point. Just because you don't bid on the item is no guarantee the other board member would win, and then you're both out the item you really wanted. I don't know anyone's ebay ID here (unless it's exactly the same as their board ID) but even so, I don't usually look at who has bid on an item before I place a bid. If I saw that another board member had bid against me and won the item, I wouldn't mind. Somebody has to win it, and it's certainly not always going to be me. At least I'd know it was going to someone who really wanted it and would appreciate it.

I don't feel it should be taken as a personal affront if someone you "know" from a message board bids on the same item you do. We all love AG and many of us are looking for the same items. Who's to say that the person who bids first on an item "wants it more" or "deserves it more" and no one else should have the opportunity to bid, too? Putting in a maximum bid and letting the chips fall where they may is fair. Whoever is willing to pay the most should get the item, no matter who they are.

Donna Cotterman

Since I don't know many of the board members identity on e-bay, yahoo or auction flair.... I can't really tell you. When I know for certain that someone has their heart set on an item... I will not bid. I have on several auctions bid for friends and family because they were busy but when I won...it was for them.
    Please don't tell me your names... I will never win again. [img]tongue.gif[/img] ^j^ Mrs.C.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 28, 2006 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Mrs. C. ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I don't really know anyone's ebay IDs, but I'm also not a high bidder. I rarely bid above $30 for anything, so I don't really worry about who else might be bidding, I feel like outbidding me doesn't require anyone to be outrageous (just less miserly than I am, which isn't hard), so basically I'll bid against anyone, and I hope ya'll bid against me, that's how it's supposed to work.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't knowingly. I do know that a few have outbid me on auctions I really, really wanted... a lot...

Inactive Member katherinecusick's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is a very interesting question!

For me, the answer is easy--since my DH is in charge of all ebay stuff, I don't really bid on or buy much from ebay. Last year, we went on a bit of a wild Angelina Ballerina buying spree on ebay and the stress of winning/losing the auctions kind of got to me.

If I'm bidding on ebay, these days, it's because it is just a most special item. I wouldn't ever knowingly bid against anyone on HB. But it might accidentally happen, in which case I'd hope no offense would be taken.

[img]smile.gif[/img] Katie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wasn't there a thread started a few months ago where people could share their ebay id's if they wanted to? That way we wouldn't bid against each other?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123