Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Coka-Cola has been around a long time. Which means Samantha, Kit and Molly would have been familiar with it. Would Samantha have tasted coca-cola at the soda shoppe or was it considered an adult beverage?

Today I just bought a new soda, Snow, from Target. I'm not a soda drinker and only like some gingerales and Jones' Green Apple soda but Snow is perfect for me because it's all natural, clear and pepperminty.

Now that I'm thinking of sodas, what soft drinks would have been popular with Kit and Molly?

Julia

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Coke would have been an adult drink because it had a drug in it. They proboly had cherry, grape, and lime soda but who knows.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 11, 2006 08:23 PM: Message edited by: puppychurro ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think root beer would have been popular with Kit and Molly.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I thought Coca-Cola would have been for kids too, but I'm wrong. It used to be advertised as a drink that could cure an upset stomach. During Kit's time I assume Orange and Grape sodas would have been very popular, along with Coca-Cola.
    Edit: I say I'm wrong because I just read on a website that Coca-Cola contained cocaine extracts until 1905.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 11, 2006 08:49 PM: Message edited by: AGfanatic ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I found a website with some good information, it has the history of soft drinks. Apparently Ginger Ale was created in Ireland in 1851. Root Beer was mass-produced in 1876. Dr. Pepper was invented by Charles Aderton in Waco, Texas in 1885. Coca-Cola was invented by Dr. John S. Pemberton in Atlanta, Georgia in 1886. Pepsi-Cola was invented in 1898 by Caleb Bradham. Bib-Label Lithiated Lemon-Lime Sodas (name was later changed to 7-Up) was invented in 1929 by Charles Leiper Grigg. Mello Yello, a competitor of Mountain Dew was invented in 1979 by the Coca-Cola company. Here is the website. Hope that helps! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Grape Nee-Hi and Coke was a cure all - coke syrup still settles upset stomachs. Pepsi. most would have gone to a Soda Fountain (Shop) and got flavored sodas (Seltzer mixed with flavors) Creme, Rootbeer, Grape, Oragne and Cherry. My Great-Uncle still had a soda shop when I was a kid and we had Flaots, Egg Creams and flavored sodas

mement0mori

Originally posted by puppychurro:
    Coke would have been an adult drink because it had a drug in it. They proboly had cherry, grape, and lime soda but who knows.

<font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ October 11, 2006 08:23 PM: Message edited by: puppychurro ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, the amount of cocaine in Coca-Cola in Samantha's time was miniscule according to snopes.com, "by 1902 it was as little as 1/400 of a grain of cocaine per ounce of syrup." And that's just the syrup, which was further diluted before becoming the soda.

On the other hand, 7-Up (originally called Bib-Label Lithiated Lemon-Lime Soda and introduced in 1929) contained lithium, which is a powerful antidepressant and was marketed to mothers with young children.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Around the end of the depression/1937 carbonated beverages began to become big business. The popular ones included Coca Cola, 7 Up, Kist, Bubble Up, Cleo Cola, Cheer Up, Orange Crush, Red Rock Cola, Nesbitt's, Sunspot, Double Cola, Canada Dry, Nu-Grape, Mission Orange and Vernor's.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

wow! Snow?? I would like to try that. So its peppermint? mmmmm...... seems like my mom would like that one.