Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Welcome to the board! I love learning about fashion history, so thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!

- Becca

Inactive Member AG DRESS DESIGNER's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Welcome, and thanks for posting the links.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Welcome - I don't think your post is boring at all. In fact, I found everything you said to be most interesting, especially coming from someone who obviously knows her stuff. I look forward to hearing more of what you have to say in upcoming posts.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Welcome! i found your post VERY intreating too!
    thanks for all the info = )

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Welcome to the board! You'll love it here! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Dancin'4'AG

Forgot to say that my family and I visted Colonial Williamsburg several months ago-and was it neat!Its hard to explain until you see it for your self!I would highly recomend visting there!Of course I took Lissie along and I was so surprised at how many people working there knew who she was!They said the year Lissie was launched they saw 10,000 vistors that summer! [img]rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sorry from getting off the topic line. [img]redface.gif[/img]

Dancin'4'AG
    Can I ask anouther quetion?Why did ladies like bright pink so much back then?And how come people didi'nt wear underwear?I know these are stupid questions but I always have wondered. [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dancin'4'AG, people didn't wear underwear because it was inconvient. Cloth, especially for the poor could be expensive so every piece was used. Underwear would have been seen as a waste. There were bloomers of a sort that richer women sometimes wore while dancing or riding but that's it. Oh, and when it was that time of the month they wore something rather akin to a diaper. Cleanliness and hygiene in general was not very big on the priority list even for the very wealthy because even something so simple as a bath took hours of preparation. You had to lug in a huge tub, transport gallons of water by hand, heat it, and then move it all into the tub. Baths were maybe taken only once or twice a year with the whole family using the same tub and water starting with the oldest member and moving on down. As you can guess the perfume industry did a pretty brisk trade because to put it simply people reeked. That is why Felicity wears a shift which was the only undergarment of the time and was worn to protect the outer clothes from the rather filthy body that wore them.

People liked bright colors back then because they livened things up. If you think about it life in the 18th century, especially life in the colonies, could be pretty bleak at times. So bright colors such as yellow, pink, and purple were worn by women, children, and men to cheer themselves up. Fashion also changed very frequently so certain colors were in at certain times. Kind of like how turquoise is big right now. I hope that answered your questions.

And I totally agree with you about Colonial Williamsburg. My mother's family has been going there since at least the seventies and my grandparents now live there. My parents have lots of pictures of me and my siblings there in colonial dress and I actually did the special Felicity tour that they used to offer for my 11th birthday. I am even trying to get into The College of William & Mary so I can live there year round. Sorry if I ramble but I love it there and it feels like a second home.

<font color="#051E50"><font size="1">[ July 30, 2005 12:28 AM: Message edited by: zap_sea ]</font></font>

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ July 30, 2005 01:08 AM: Message edited by: zap_sea ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I enjoyed your very informative posts also. You have quite an extensive knowledge. It is nice to get the info.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Originally posted by zap_sea:
    Oops, I forgot to add that after seeing Felicity's new meet dress I have no choice but to say that the new one is more accurate. I still like the old one though because of familiarity. It's also interesting that it looks like they are replacing her coral necklace with a plain purple ribbon. Coral necklaces were mainly worn by very young children and infants because it was thought to protect them from evil forces. Ribbons were the most common neck adornment that we find in portraits, every one from serving maids to Marie Antoinette wore them.

<font color="#051E50"><font size="1">[ July 29, 2005 08:06 PM: Message edited by: zap_sea ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">First, Welcome to the board! You will really love it. Im a history nut too, although I dont know too much about fashion history. My ma has always said I should do the re-enacting thing, I think it would be a lot fun and hope you get a job in Williamsburg, its so amazing down there!

Second, I was really curious as to why the traveling gown is more accurate. I dont disbelieve you, you certainly seem to know what you are talking about, but I would really like to know what makes it more accurate. I also understand at this point that Elizabeth's pink dress is correct as well. Im very glad to hear this, although I still think its horrid! LOL I really hope that its not an indication that ALL of Lissie and Elizabeth's dresses from now on will be bright colored and made of taffeta or silk [img]eek.gif[/img] Accurate though they may be, I have always prefered the dolls in their everyday, simple clothing then the fancy dresses. You see the fancy gowns all the time in paintings and other historical information, the everyday, ordinary clothes are forgotton and thats what Im more interested in.

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ July 30, 2005 02:19 AM: Message edited by: shortie421 ]</font>

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast