Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My AGPLA Dilemma and what came about!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well everyone,
    I finally arrived home this morning at about 6am. I must admit that I am pleased to be home after a month of travel.

After looking forward to visiting AGPLA for a couple of months now I got there and found myself completely overwhelmed!!

First of all we picked out a Jess for my daughter who had no trouble choosing the one that "was calling her".

Then we went upstairs and I hand picked out a perfect Josefina and Kit and some accessories and outfits and had them put them on hold for me. I had a hard time carrying them around and the boxes kept falling here and there. I found it very embarrassing - like I was being greedy.

I met Kim (Horsemom) there at the Cafe which was really nice and we chatted for a bit about this and that. I was thrilled to see her PM Josefina and beautiful white bodied Kirsten.

After the cafe I think I deliberated for about and hour!!! My poor husband and kids had had enough and I was almost in tears about it. I finally decided not to buy the dolls as it seemed like it was Elly's day and not mine. I talked myself into it and my husband suggested that I buy the Kirsten Winter outfit that I had chosen as it was really nice and so we bought that for my Matilda #20 with grey eyes who kinda looks like Kirsten anyway.

We left the store and went on to Anaheim for the rest of our trip (Disneyland). The next morning I woke up and I felt really down. I felt stupid for not buying a doll and kinda cross with hubby for being a bit of a teaser in the store and saying things like "I just don't get it" which made me feel even sillier.

After I talked to him about how I was feeling he said that it was more important to him that I was happy so he would take me back to the store on our way back to LA airport the next day. I instantly felt better but still unsure about what to do.

On our way to AGPLA for the second time I told hubby I was unsure again and he suggested I just buy one doll and think about getting another doll later on when I was sure about it. This made perfect sense and I knew I was going to get Kit because she was my first choice for an historical.

Can you believe I found the very same Kit this time round!! I know it was her because she looked quite different from the others there and her freckles are very light and small.

On arriving to Australia this morning, we went through customs, met my mum, dad and brother and said our hellos and as we were leaving I realised I didn't have my dolls!! I had left them at customs and wasn't allowed back in to retrieve them!

I sweet-talked my way back in and they were still there (thank goodness!) but the customs officer gave them the once over in case I was a crazy bomb lady or something.

Anyway, Kit is here and I love her. She doesn't have strings though which was a bit disappointing. But I love her.

Jess is divine and anyone not sure about whether or not to get her should really think about getting her. She is such an exotic beauty.

Pics to follow,
    Juliette

Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[img]graemlins/plane.gif[/img] Welcome home, Juliette! [img]graemlins/plane.gif[/img]

I'm SO glad you rescued your dolls from customs, especially after you went though all of that to get them!

What would they have done with them in customs, if you hadn't been able to retrieve them?

Joy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow! What a trip! It does sound like everything turned out fine, though. I'm glad you and Elly got the dolls you've been desiring. And hey! Maybe you'll find your PM Josefina later.

I'm definitely looking forward to your pictures. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

prasnlrd

I am so glad your story had such a happy ending! I was on "pins and needles" the whole times I was reading your post! HA! I look forward to seeing your pictures!
    [img]graemlins/camera.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/camera.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/island.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/island.gif[/img]

BTW:
    Sounds like you have a great DH. That was really nice of him to take you back to get a dollie.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh, Juliette, I'm so happy for you! I worried a little that you'd regret not getting at least one doll after traveling all that way! Your Kit sounds very special and Kit's collection is so lovely. Seeing it in person made me decide I would try to complete it one day. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think AGPLA should have carts. Not only would it be more practical, but would save us from feeling embarrassed too. The little wire baskets only hold a few accessory or outfit sets, and I don't like to give everything to a cashier in case I change my mind and want to put one item back and get a different item. I like to be able to see what I'm deliberating about buying.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That story really was riveting, and I'm glad it ended happily! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] It's great that you got one doll, at least; if I traveled halfway around the world to get to an AGP I think there's a good chance I'd come back with a Kit myself. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Juliette, I understand how you felt! I can imagine it was even more intensified since you can't simply place an order from home and traveled all that distance!

When I went to Chicago the first time, I was going to get Nellie. She was brand new. When I saw her, I just didn't "click" with her. I don't know why except that it was destined that DH would get her for me later (I didn't know him then), and I love her SOOO much now.

Anyway... my mom went in, picked out a Josefina, got a bunch of her stuff, finished up some Kaya stuff she needed, pondered the Spider outfit for herself (because she had a Halloween party coming up) and then she just walked around and looked. Because she was waiting for me! I was so completely overwhelmed. The only thing I decided on right away was Kit's birthday dress & a mini Josefina for my friend. I sat in front of Molly's display case for over an hour, holding the birthday dress bag in my hands. I couldn't decide what to do!

I didn't buy a doll at all until the late evening of the second day we were there. I think my mom was just really stunned. She still mentions it. She thought I'd go in, blow my budget (I'd saved $50/paycheck for several months) and run up a credit card bill. She says she expceted me to leave with no fewer than two dolls.

That last evening, I got on my knees in front of all the Molly boxes and started opening them. I wanted the body stuffing to be just so and the eyes and the hair... When my mom came around the corner, she said, "What you are doing?" I said, "I have to find the right one!" She said, "Oh brother!" (She had taken the second Josefina she looked at-- and she is beautiful!) I actually only removed three from the boxes before I found my Molly. Then I opened a box of saddle shoes, removed those nasty black Mary Janes and put the saddle shoes on her. Then I gave both the boxes to Ingrid, my PS.

After that, I was much more relaxed and bought a whole bunch of stuff for Molly & Kit. They even picked out a dress to bring home to Ruthie. I don't regret the decision at all! (And I DIDN't blow my budget; I came home with over $200!)

Unfortunately, return trips don't get much easier. I had a hard time deciding between #26 & Nellie on my most recent trip, but not nearly so bad as my first trip. DH talked me into #26, because he had plans to a birthday Nellie. So, that all worked out quite well too!

You will love Kit so much more for all the worrying and heartache. Have a blast with her! She's the best!!!
    Heather

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Julliette - It's sounds like you had an amazing trip, despite your indecision. I am glad your DH took you back to the store and you got Kit. Kit is so cute, and I love her collection. I always feel very indecisive at AGPC. It is an overwhelming store!

What did you think of the store, overall? It was nice that you got to meet Horsemom.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm glad you had a good trip Juliette and that you arrived home safely - with all the dolls. What is it with custom guys and these dolls?

I fully agree, it's absolutely overwhelming when you go there the first time but also wonderful to see everything in person.

MapleLeaf

Welcome home Juliette!
    What a wonderful trip and I'm glad to hear that Kit is now safe at home with you.
    I really enjoyed reading your story and glad it came to a happy ending. [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Nia [img]smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast