Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah--what QNPoohBear said!

You don't actually "tighten" the legs; you just replace the elastic and hardware (the brass sleeves), crimping the brass sleeves to hold the new elastic's tension. A clamp or hemostat is almost essential for holding the elastic tightly enough for it to be crimped at the proper tension.
    You should also get the proper type of elastic--cotton-covered, rather than nylon-covered. It's almost impossible to find the right kind locally, so it's best to order it from one of the doll-supply sites mentioned in the re-stringing link in QNPoohBear's post.

The brass sleeves and crimper can be found at the hardware store, and the clamp at hobby or craft stores--I found my clamp at Hobby Lobby.

But if it's all a bit more than you bargained for, you could send your Kirsten to me if you like, and I'll do her for you at a reasonable rate--PM me for details if you're interested!

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Good luck with her, whatever you decide! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would vote for sending her to Robin! Samtha came home absolutely gorgeous! I've already mailed another box to Robin's "surgery"!!!!

Polly Marie

I'm voting for Dr. Robin also. Sswihart's Kristin is in great shape after seeing Dr. Robin!

[img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] Polly Marie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thanks for offering but I looked at the instructions and they look pretty simple...I do have the elastic....and while I was poking in DH workshop I found some of those little electrical things....now I left her head somewhere...I need to find that and give her a downy dunk while she is being overhauled. Thanks again...this is something I need to know how to do with all of the dolls I have..

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, that all looks so complicated to me...my Josefina may need to take a trip to see Dr. Robin. But I don't know if her limbs really are loose, or if it's just me. I guess I'll have to wait until I have a brand new doll to compare her too!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kirstens were so loose she looked like she was crippled...one leg longer than the other...lopsided.....anything I could have done would have helped her....she really needed the overhaul.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MaryMax if you do the restringing please let me know how hard it was to do. I've got 3 or more girls that need it, especially our poor Molly who can hardly stand anymore. And where you find the elastic at I really hate to have to order it if I can help it. thanks

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm sure Dr. Robin does a wonderful job, but I've done it numerous times myself after reading Taffy's instructions and it's really quite simple. It may sound a little complicated because the description is very thorough, but when you actually look at the pieces, it's pretty obvious. The only complicated part for me was finding the right elastic. In just the past few weeks I've replaced the arm on a poor, amputee Felicity and tightened the stringing on a Berenguer Classmates. It's a great skill to have!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm glad this was posted, because I thought I was going to be the one to ask for that link! I'm in the process of Phase 2 on my eBay Molly's restoration. She came with ratty hair and was filthy, so I carefuly brushed it, and cleaned her up. But, she also had a "Harry Potter" lightning bolt scar on her forehead from a highlighter, and her poor legs are so loose the practically dangle out of their sockets. So, I finally tried the oxy method a couple days ago, and after two applications in a span of about 6 hours, her scar is now gone! I also removed her head and gave her a downy dunk and a good shampoo since her hair was a little dull from all the detangler used when I brushed it out the first time. Now I just need to do something about those limbs! I can't wait until she's all fixed. I can't belive how much I've bonded with this poor abused eBay fixer-upper. I love her so much, but I'm a little worried that my Lindsey's are starting to get jealous!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast