Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We constantly go through this kind of thing with our family members...I just don't understand why our families just can't accept us for who we are....God made us all different, but sometimes it seems they just want clones of themselves (like they are so great to begin with ) Please just be yourself...I have been trying to please my in-laws for 25 years...and believe me, you will lose yourself in trying to please others...You are great just the way you are!

Kalisa

I don't know, but I am wondering if your step-mother crossed a boundary legally to take your stuff, assuming that you are over 18 years old. It just doesn't seem like she could do that legally, even if you do live with them? Have you checked to see if you have any legal rights to get your stuff back?

<font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ May 18, 2006 05:11 PM: Message edited by: DollysRMe ]</font></font>

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 18, 2006 05:12 PM: Message edited by: DollysRMe ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[/QUOTE]I totally agree. My oldest son is 20 and lives most of that time 4 hours away at his college. We are building a new house and went to the extra expense of still providing a room for him even though we know his time with us will be limited. I always want him to feel he can come home. Once he is totally on his own, the room can always find a use as a doll room, LOL!!!!!!!!

[/QB][/QUOTE]

Good for you Judiaci!! After all family is the most important thing in this world. If they always feel at home now, hopefully they will feel the same when they have their own families and bring over those PRESCIOUS GRANDCHILDREN! Those will be wonderful days indeed!

[img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
    ~Annie

Kalisa

Oh yeh, I forgot to add that I am married for 21 years now and have collected dolls since before I met my husband. I drug him to the toy store with me when we dated to buy a Cabbage Patch Kid when they were only on the shelves for about 2 minutes! He has stuck with me all these years and doesn't mind my dolls AND I might add....he is 13 months younger than me!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just wanted to add another tick on the chart for a married woman who loves AG, and my husband is fantastic about it! He likes to use them to make me laugh. Once we were watching a movie and I had Kit on my lap and without moving his head he just reached over and grabed Kit's hand. It made me giggle. I agree with what others gave said about a man not being worth your time if he can't accept your hobbies. My husband likes my dolls just because they make me happy and that's how it should be.

Shanna

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I think you might need to remind your stepmother that doll collecting is the second most common collecting hobby in the world, second only to stamps!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I totally didn't realize that!

Anyway, thank you all for your support. Yes, I did leave expecting my stuff to not be messed with, but at the same time it is their house, and I had a place to stay but never really my own room. After my mom died, they were the only family members who would give me a place to stay, and I didn't even meet them until last summer. So, I mean, they've been cool about that. It's just frustrating that they expect me to "be a part of this family" and to want to live out here and stuff when they can't even accept my personality and the things I like. I mean, forgeting the dolls- it would be nice to have some of my art supplies back. No one can tell me that cross-stitching is weird. Although, I do have my trumpet here, since I brought it with me from school. It may be band-geekish, but it's gained respect from the family out here since I got to show the family my picture in Vogue. Well, the photo as background for Kiera Knightley gained their respect, not any actual playing talent.

And, yeah, the boyfriend doesn't mind the dolls at all, as long as they're not sitting somewhere where they're going to be staring him down all the time like something reminiscent of Chucky. He kind of finds it amusing. He laughed at the idea of not liking me just because of dolls, and mentioned something about just not having the dolls dancing around riding unicorns... so I told him about the Grecian Unicorn costume, which he found pretty funny and insisted that I would so buy it if I had the chance.

I had stocked up on all the short stories in their short format because I liked the format but also because it would be cool to be able to read a "whole book" with my niece. I also got Samantha's Scenes and Settings to keep here for the kid to use while she's playing with her doll. They're at a friend's place back East, along with Jess and some clothes and books, and I wonder if it's even worth sharing them when I get enough money to have my friend ship them out here to me.

And how in the world do I get them to accept that I'm intent upon going back to PA? Aside from missing it there and wanting to finish my other major, I'm a history major whose main focus was the Colonial period and the American Revolution. I'm useless in California in anything but a traditional classroom setting, and why would I want to stay someplace where they don't even care about making me feel at home.

Yeah, sorry, I guess the dolls are the least of my issues, but at least having some of my collection around would help me feel at home.

Edit: Grammar mistake- I need to proofread better.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 19, 2006 02:41 AM: Message edited by: jerseycow6 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jersey - I am trying to understand. So, you were raised by a single Mom and didn't really know your biological Dad until after your Mom died? Now you are living with that Dad and step Mom? If so, I don't see why they need to accept you moving back to PA. You are an adult. They will get used to it. You can still be a loving daughter with phone calls and e-mail. Don't worry about other's approval. You will never get everyone's approval, so you might as well approve of yourself. [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

PS - Thanks, Annie!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234