Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top Ten Favourite Action Figures by the Spawn Unreal Board Members.

Inactive Member The Mighty Wolf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

This thread is solely dedicated on every Unreal Board member?s favourite top ten figures.
    Post your favourite Top Ten Figures from your collection and if you want write a short review on them.

This is to help this community to understand what its members collect, and make us spot some toys we?ve never heard off. I never knew about the new Microman stuff until I started venturing here. Many times I come across some ones thread about his or her favourite piece which I?ve never heard of, and go ?Damn, I want those?.

It's also a nice intro to newbie?s, and looks great that when someone enters the board, he or she can have a read about someone else?s top ten lists and bring on more toy talk and strengthen our brotherhood. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And please, let?s keep it clean, post only your Top Ten. Comments and opinions build them on other threads.

Well here's mine.

1. Eva-02 Unit from the Evangelion Movie by Kaiyodo
    In quality finish, paint application, articulation, accessories, play value, possibility value and from what it?s based on, this is the best figure money can buy.
    Released in 2003, this figure was a follow on to the successful original Kaiyodo Evangelion line from 1999 to 2000. Based off the art work from ?The End of Evangelion? movie, this figure is accurately captured and features 22 points of seamless articulation that allows the figure to rein act just about every pose from the memorable battle finale in the movie. Besides with multiple interchangeable hands, it comes with a clear base, sniper rifle, missile launcher, charging cable extension, standard knife, knife with broken blade and an axe. But it?s the quality finish and brilliant paint application that defines this figure as near perfect. Example, the axe itself has 4 different colour applications including the fine red line within the blades seam line! The sniper rifle is the neatest accessory available for any 7 to 8 inch figure, 7 different paint applications from airbrush to regular brush applications on the scope?s lens to the single dual on top of it.
    Even in packaging this figure looks fantastic displayed on the wall. It also allows for it to be posed alongside the bad mass production Eva units (the other figures of this series) which comes with interchangeable damaged limbs to recreate the scenes of the Eva-02 destroying them.
    Without a doubt this is the best Evangelion figure out there.
    -Released in 2003.

2. Hikaru Valkyrie VF-01J 1/48 by Yamato
    This is a must have for any Macross fan, or as it is licensed in the Western market, Robotech. Finally after 20 years, a company has finally been able to produce a toy that transforms in each mode and looks accurate in each of them. The quality finish is above standards, and the overall detail is simply amazing. Even though it still remains tricky to transform, this is for any Macross/Robotech fan the true Masterpiece of all Valkyries. Only downside is the price and the very lightness in plastic of such a large toy.
    -Released in 2003.

3. Danger Girl Fishtank set by McFarlane Toys
    Probably the hardest reference to sculpt from is animation or comic books. Usually what is drawn in 2D is all a different matter when it comes to interpreting it into 3D. Although here, the difficult and yet beautiful art of Scott Campbell of his smash hit ?Danger Girl? comic book series was beautiful rendered into plastic by the genius boys at McFarlane Toys. Initially the three girls were sold separately on traditional blister cards, but here it?s all three of them packed in this lovely display case which is finished off with the deco of Campbell?s original artwork. The articulation is standard, but with the gorgeous and accurate sculpts, the fine detail and the presentation of the whole set, this is by far one of McFarlane Toy?s finest pieces.
    -Released in 1999.

4. Eva-01 Unit Box Set by Kaiyodo
    The classic of all the Evangelion figures! Its ultra dynamic pose with ultra articulation, this figure made the Western markets notice the next standards of action figures being set in Japan. Besides the great paint application, amazing sculpting, articulation galore, this figure comes in a box set that contains 5 pairs of different interchangeable hands, knife, sword, heavy artillery rifle, machine gun, hand gun, charging cable extension, ammo clip and a second interchangeable head with open mouth. This action figure is still one of the ultimate brilliances in fun, sculpt and possibility combined since 2000.
    -Released in 2000.

5. Scarlet Edge Mandarin Spawn Series 14 by McFarlane Toys
    1999 was another big and successful year for McFarlane Toys, and probably one of the most unique and most wonderful independent figure designs from any toy company is this baby, the highly celebrated Mandarin Spawn.
    It?s aggressive, sleek, captivating and impressively powerful from which angle you look at it. It?s so popular that its exclusives and variants can fork up big Dollars on any on-line auction, so popular that it even got a bigger 12 inch brother of it, and so popular that McFarlane Toys had to release again 5 years later to meet the huge demand of its growing fans.
    Today it?s risky for toy companies to base a figure from no popular media entertainment. All this Mandarin Spawn had was the label of Spawn. Although I?m certain that even if it wasn?t based on the ongoing Spawn series, this figure would have still been as popular as it is now. It may have a na?ve paint finish, standard and sub-limited articulation, but it will always be thee Mandarin Spawn. Proving that a brilliant design and detail sculpt always be the primary base for any successful Action Figure.
    -Released in 1999, Exclusives 2000, 2001 and repaint 2004.

6. Deunan Knute from the Appleseed Movie by Yamato
    From the Japanese Anime gigantic Block Buster movie of 2004, this is the main character Deanan Knute from the remade ?Appleseed? movie. Why this figure is on this list is simply because it is the overall best balanced action figure. Clean and solid paint application, fantastic articulation, excellent detailed accessories, solid quality and a nicely meticulous sculpt. It?s very hard today to find standard 7 inch figures that overall score well on all the finished fields, but unfortunately because it is an imported figure (From Japan) from a movie that hasn?t been dubbed for the western market yet (Anime movies are usually released dubbed after a year or two after it?s original issue.), again the price is high. Nevertheless, for me, a futuristic military hot babe with a big gun will always be a personal favourite. And this one is tops for me.
    -Released in 2004.

7. T-850 Terminator without damage and with sunglasses by McFarlane Toys
    For many years fans of Arnold Schwarzenegger have waited for a figure of the popular actor that didn?t look like John Travolta, didn?t have 90% of its face decorated with battle damaged for licensing issues, nor a 12inch vinyl doll that had baby feet. At last with the release of the ?Terminator 3, Rise of the Machines? movie, fans finally cheered at a Arnie figure. But only this Arnie with shades and no battle damage as like the other variants from the same line. Its articulation is limited, the shotgun is a bit too soft, but this is Arnold with his famous leather jacket, shades and the ice cold assassin face! The attention of detail on this figure is simply awesome, the paint application is clean and precise as per its source, and it?s Arnie! Congrats to the boys of McFarlane Toys for probably the first correct Arnold Schwarzenegger figure.
    -Released in 2003.

8. VF-01J GBP from the Macross SDF series 02 by Kaiyodo and Movic
    Any figure that is just under 3 inches tall and has 27 seamless points of articulation has got to be in everyone?s top ten lists. But let?s not stop here, 9 different colour applications, 3 different airbrushing shades, nice dynamic sculpting, a base to pose it in hovering mode and even stamped insignias. Best part about this, it?s a traditional Japanese trading figure, so you will only be paying less than $3.50US! Sure trading figure means you?ll have to buy the little sealed boxes until you?ll find him, but the others from this series will also not disappoint any collector. Or you can always buy a complete sorted set from various on-line sites. From this figure it?s evident a company?s pride in whatever they produce, and it?s important regardless the size or the market of any figure.
    -Released in 2003.

9. Jin-Roh Fuse from the Jin-Roh Movie by Kaiyodo
    Jin-Roh is another Japanese Anime Block buster movie based on a physiological thriller about a soldier?s moral values. Set in a fictional theme of the 1950?s where the axis forces actually won the Second World War and fear breaths everywhere.
    The figure is based on the lead soldier Fuse, and is without a doubt the best looking retro styled soldier of its kind. Massive seamless articulation, it comes with every weapon seen with these soldiers in the movie, interchangeable heads and hands, and the numerous tone paint applications capture that cold and dark presence of the uniform. The detail is untouchable, the quality of materials used is of the finest and the sculpt is perfect, so why then isn?t not further up the list? Sadly it?s only around 5 inches tall, and the original release price tag was around the $20.00US mark! However it is being released again in speciality stores and will retail at a more reasonable price. Don?t be allured away by its size, it?s bigger out of the packaging and is one of the best designed figures from the Anime market.
    -Released in 2001.

10. Neo Chateau box set by McFarlane Toys
    Why does this action figure set, I mean this inaction plastic statue set make my top ten? Easy, I?m a Neo and Matrix fan, and out there no one has yet produced an accurate Matrix world Neo figure of the last two Matrix movies that has both feet on the ground and at least standard articulation. So I guess for now I have to be content with this one.
    Yes the set has discrepancies, in the chateau scene of ?The Matrix 2 Reloaded? movie, Neo punches one of the bad guys onto the staircase?s statue, here he kicks the bad guy and it?s the wrong bad guy! With it, the villain victim is missing the tattoos on his face as per the movie. However here McFarlane Toys cannot be blamed, they rely on the resource material given to them by the production house months before the movie release dates. And the movie?s producers approved it! Shocking!
    Yes the articulation is pointless and limited, neither of the two figures can stand on their own because of this. However it is an overall impressive set. Clean finishing, traditional top detail by McFarlane Toys and it does handsomely look good outside of the packaging. Finally, with its size, quality factor to price ratio makes this a fantastic overall piece. Even if I will forever label it as a plastic statue as it should be!
    -Released in 2003.

topten001

[

<font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ November 24, 2004 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Chosen One ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

man, only choosing 10 is gonna be REALLY hard...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Peter Peeker:
    man, only choosing 10 is gonna be REALLY hard...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, I know! [img]eek.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well, it's not REALLY a top 10, but they'd all be up there...I tried to get a variety of stuff, since my collection spans a few different "styles", I guess.

#1- Lothan the Wise. Shadowrun Duels, by WizKids
    #2- The Tooth Fairy. Movie Maniacs 5, by McFarlane
    #3- Skullsplitter (R3). Spawn, the Viking Age, by McFarlane
    #4- Electro. Spiderman Classics, by ToyBiz
    #5- AcroCleve. Microman, by Takara
    #6- Red Vane. Mutant Earth, by Stan Winston
    #7- Mork. Mork and Mindy, by PPC
    #8- Eclipse 5000. Spawn Nitro Riders, by McFarlane
    #9- Mummy Playset. McFarlane's Monsters, by NECA... [img]wink.gif[/img]
    #10- Cremator. Dark Alliance, by Art Asylum

mt179

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'll try, but I'm not really good with favorites......

1-Captain Action & Dr. Evil (my favorite action figures of all time)

2-Johnny West & Best Of the West
    (gotta be one of the coolest Western lines ever produced)

3-Sideshow's "Universal Monsters (8") Creature From the Black Lagoon (imo, the best interpretation of the Universal Monsters since the Aurora models of the '60s)

4-Dr. Caligari "The Deranged Hypnotist"
    Mezco's "Silent Screamers" (I've been a monster kid my whole life-it was very cool to get something other then the standard Universal Monsters for a change)

5-Spawn 1 from Spawn series 1 (the start of all the rest)

6-Moore's Lady Death (another start of all the rest as well as a favorite comic character)

7-14" Galactus (the first issue from the Fantastic Four line......w/lights & sound)

8-Sideshow Toy's Rat Fink (the perfect Rat Fink as an action figure-this guy's been with me since my wee years)

ratfink1 1

9-Captain Lazer (Mattel)

10-Popeye outta Mezco (just great representations of the vintage cartoon characters-there aren't enough figures like this out there)

<font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ November 23, 2004 01:08 AM: Message edited by: Street Worm ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Peeks, you don't have the opened-mouth Tooth Fairy?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

nope.
    I prefer the closed-mouth, by a long way.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

heres mine in no particular order

1. 18" leatherface - which i dont fricking have
    2. Lotus - spawn series 19
    3. Spawn 5 - spawn series 17
    4. Keldor - masters of the universe
    5. Yoda - star wars unleashed
    6. Freddy vs Jason neca box set
    7. The Crow - movie maniacs series 2
    8. Spawn on throne - spawn series 21
    9. Dorothy - twisted land of oz
    10. Urizen

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Peter Peeker:
    nope.
    I prefer the closed-mouth, by a long way.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Although I've got the open mouth, I can see why you like that version better.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just think the opened one is more "shock value" with the closed one looks more creepy/menacing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast