Thread: Paint remover that's safe for figures?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

I think this was mentioned before, but I may be wrong. What's a good brand to use?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

put your fig in a ziploc freezer bag, and then hose it down with easy-off oven cleaner. it contains sodium hydroxide which is a common paint stripper. leave it overnight and then scrub it off with an old toothbrush. Make sure you wear gloves and eye protection! You may need a second application to get all the paint off.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Plastic Addict:
    put your fig in a ziploc freezer bag, and then hose it down with easy-off oven cleaner. it contains sodium hydroxide which is a common paint stripper. leave it overnight and then scrub it off with an old toothbrush. Make sure you wear gloves and eye protection! You may need a second application to get all the paint off.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks PA. The thing is I only need to strip the paint from a head and not the whole body. Would something less industrial work, like nail polish remover?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nail polish remover that contains Acetone may work. Straight 100% Acetone WILL work, BUT, can be very hard on some plastics. If you try 100% Acetone, I would do it on a scrap piece that is the same type of plastic as a test. Also, after you use Acetone, be sure and wash the item VERY thoroughly. ALSO, DO NOT soak your item in Acetone, as it also shrinks some plastics.

In other words, Acetone is great for removing paint, but use EXTREME caution.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by TCM Hitchhiker:
    Nail polish remover that contains Acetone may work. Straight 100% Acetone WILL work, BUT, can be very hard on some plastics. If you try 100% Acetone, I would do it on a scrap piece that is the same type of plastic as a test. Also, after you use Acetone, be sure and wash the item VERY thoroughly. ALSO, DO NOT soak your item in Acetone, as it also shrinks some plastics.

In other words, Acetone is great for removing paint, but use EXTREME caution.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Roger that! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
    Have you ever accidentally shrunk a figure before? If so, does in shrink in relative proportion or does it look all crazy? I'm kinda interested in trying that on a scrap fig just to make something bizarre.