Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. military deaths in the Iraq campaign passed the 1,000 milestone Tuesday.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OH, I'm sorry, you're right, they should be able to snatch people at any time for any reason, yet not have to tell any one, not the employer, family, or even the lawyer of an individual - I never said I didn't like living here. Open your mouth about how things 'could' be better and you've got a freakin' murder on your hands. Think that's okay? Well guess what, Saddam did the same fucking thing to HIS people. But yea, things are getting better...

Inactive Member Slytherin Snape's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Originally posted by BENSIN:
    OH, I'm sorry, you're right, they should be able to snatch people at any time for any reason, yet not have to tell any one, not the employer, family, or even the lawyer of an individual - I never said I didn't like living here. Open your mouth about how things 'could' be better and you've got a freakin' murder on your hands. Think that's okay? Well guess what, Saddam did the same fucking thing to HIS people. But yea, things are getting better...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Intelligently discussing how things could be "better" is a far cry from running around like Chicken Little claiming the general public's "rights" are being taken away. No offense, but unless you've actually read the case law on the matter you don't understand what the situation really is with regard to the holding of enemy combatants.

Your alarmist statement that people can be snatched "at any time for any reason" and then held without informing anyone is far, far from accurate. It is not the case that the average person who is suspected of a "regular" criminal act (such as assault or robbery) can be snatched up off the street and held indefinitely without charge.

The legal decision that deals with the situation you are trying to describe is <u>Hamdi v. Rumsfeld</u> (decided by the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit), and that case dealt with a very specific set of circumstances. In <u>Hamdi</u>, the individual in question was:

</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Captured in a foreign theater (country)</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">During a period of active hostilities, and</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Was deemed an "enemy combatant".</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That ruling did not in any way address "run of the mill" crimes/criminals. And it <u>in no way</u> gave the green light for the police/government to snatch random people off the street ("at any time for any reason") and hold them indefinitely without charge. To state/claim otherwise is simply uninformed and inaccurate.

<font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ September 08, 2004 11:32 AM: Message edited by: ?SNAPE? ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by *PORTHOS*:
    The net?
    I think my post was respectfull.
    You don't have to be part of the war commity to be inform. Beeing outside of the States gives you the opportunity to be inform by more than just american newschannel.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm sure you are more than amply 'informed' by the Canandian, and French &lt;this is actually funny&gt;, news channels. You also must know, I'm sure you do, that unless you are part of the decison-makers of our country, all your information is second or third hand or even outright wishful thinking.

But I'm tired and need some sleep. Your post is actually one of many anti-American bash-a-thon, however you deny it. Of course it's your 'opinion'. Of course it's respectful. You don't want to piss the US of A now, dontcha?

So long now, and GOD BLESS AMERICA!

There.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Wow, my post is Anti-US?

You're showing just how little you know about the world around you.
    Beeing french Canadian is as close as beeing from France as beeing American is to beeing from England. There is 500 years between the two and not a lot in common except from the language.

If i was Anti-american, I wouldn't visit this board. I wouldn't feel like chaser, sculpey, Andyman, SNB, macabee and a lot of others are my friends. I would probably hate KISS and Bon Jovi and would probably feel that American cinema produces the the worst movies in the world.(They actually can but they also make masterpiece).

I have issues with the way the country is lead (not just right now cause thoses issues are there whether the Dem or Rep are leading) but I can agree to disagree without bashing or sounding like a joeblo. Wich isn't the case with a lot of people. I like discussing politics but doing it with people who just can't discuss or who feels that beeing from elsewhere makes you illegitimate to talk about the other person's country is just impossible.

EndQuest

Well, so much for non-political.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Originally posted by EndQuest:
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm sorry Eq, didn't wanted it to slip. I always assume this board is totally different than the white board.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks George W., you ass turd!

Inactive Member Slytherin Snape's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Originally posted by *PORTHOS*:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by EndQuest:
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm sorry Eq, didn't wanted it to slip. I always assume this board is totally different than the white board.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, in and of itself "political" isn't necessarily bad - it's all about how it's done. And for the most part Porthos, this board is different. I don't always agree with your posts, but I appreciate the perspective from someone who is "outside" the fray so to speak since you don't live here.
    [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

*continues to lurk while remaining politically ambiguous...* [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Originally posted by madadman:
    *continues to lurk while remaining politically ambiguous...* [img]wink.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]biggrin.gif[/img]