Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: my sig.......and those that complained.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You go girl. [img]graemlins/snail.gif[/img]

Inactive Member Slytherin Snape's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

The thing I find amusing about the signature is that to "get it" necessitates a mispronunciation of the country's name - great, humor based not only on race, but ignorance. [img]graemlins/whatever.gif[/img] And though I'm not personally "offended" per se, I think it's more stupid than offensive, I do think it is in questionable taste in an open, public forum where one does not necessarily know how the members of the forum feel about such racially based "humor". I also disagree, strongly, that as a general principle "humor negates obscenity".

EDIT - And I'm not one of the people who talked to Sculpey, though if someone chose to handle it that way I see nothing wrong with that since he is a moderator of this board.

<font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ June 11, 2004 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Snape ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by CBMatt:
    It makes me tempted to use a picture of a minstrel saying "I loves me some fried chicken" in my signature.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Just post an old Denny's menu!

Remember when they were called "Old Black Sambo's" ???? You might be too young to remember that, but there were Sambo's resturaunts all over even up to 1980! the menus were so offensive..they had little black tribal guy as their mascot all over the menu...with a bone thru his nose yet! I don't know how they got away with that for so long...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I guess I'll be the uptight a$$ around here. Since I'm in an interracial marriage, I have very little tolerance for racist comments/slurs.

And for the record, I didn't bother sculpey with this.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

stuff like that deosn't bother me but i am sure it does other people... i prob wouldn't like it if it was the other way around though

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I haven't complained either cause I just thought I wasn't getting it.

I just don't get if it's suppose to be funny or making a point. Plastic Adict example of country humour is funny, but I don't see how Niger one can be funny.

But then again, I can ear people that reads me right now saying :"Sure he doesn't get it, he's one of those god damn stinking Quebecer"

Inactive Member Genetic Disposition's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Skull-n-Bones:
    Remember when they were called "Old Black Sambo's" ???? You might be too young to remember that, but there were Sambo's resturaunts all over even up to 1980! the menus were so offensive..they had little black tribal guy as their mascot all over the menu...with a bone thru his nose yet! I don't know how they got away with that for so long...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I remember that! Yeesh! Embarassing!

Anyway, I just felt like positng a pic of Snoop...

snoop drama php

-megalithanod

For the record.....

I had three people comment to me on the sig and bring it to my attention. They did it in a way that I see nothing wrong with. They were bringing an issue to a moderator's attention.

I brought this to sculpey's attention and asked him to handle it. Why? Well, you do have to consider that if someone had said something about it, there is always the knowledge and concern in knowing who the significant other is of the sig owner. Opinions can run hot at times (as we have already seen a couple of times) and imaginations can wander to what retaliations could occur. Sculpey was asked to handle it due to 1) he owed me for a couple of issues [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] and 2) it just cuts all the worry out. He is respected enough to understand why he is asking for the change and hopefully not drag it onto the board.

Which unfortunately has been done.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't think it's that offensive at all. It doesn't put down anybody in any way. Nothing derogitory whatsoever.

Now if it had been something rascist, then I too would be offended. It's just a simple play on words and if you don't get it, then maybe you should have your head examined. [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img]

Nigga please!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by -megalithanod:
    For the record.....

I had three people comment to me on the sig and bring it to my attention. They did it in a way that I see nothing wrong with. They were bringing an issue to a moderator's attention.

I brought this to sculpey's attention and asked him to handle it. Why? Well, you do have to consider that if someone had said something about it, there is always the knowledge and concern in knowing who the significant other is of the sig owner. Opinions can run hot at times (as we have already seen a couple of times) and imaginations can wander to what retaliations could occur. Sculpey was asked to handle it due to 1) he owed me for a couple of issues [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] and 2) it just cuts all the worry out. He is respected enough to understand why he is asking for the change and hopefully not drag it onto the board.

Which unfortunately has been done.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">For the record....sculpey did NOT ask me to change my sig. some people do realize that there are these things in life called "jokes". as i clearly mentioned in my first post, i said i would be doing so as to save him the headache from absurdity.

What bothers me, and the reason for this post is, that i would much rather have had someone pm and explain to me that it offended them in some way, tho i really am hoping they do, cuz i dont see how it could.

i really thought this place was more mature than the white board in the sense that people can speak to each other like adults. so unless those that felt the need to run to a mod than come to me directly first to try to resolve the issue are under the age of 12 then you probably are just being a big SUCK.