Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: my sig.......and those that complained.

-megalithanod

Talking

LV - my apologies on thinking he asked you to change it, an assumption that I shouldn't have made.

As for the reason that some may find the sig offensive is, especially the further south you go in the US, the term that can be derived from mispronouncing the country is a derogative term gear toward those of color. It was used a lot in the days of slavery and afterward to talk down to them. It may be viewed differently as far north as you are and in Canada, but to some it is still offensive to think of.

It may be a cross cultural non-understanding, as there are terms that are innocuous to North Americans that are rather rude to Europeans. Some I know having married a British national and slipped over them a few times.

Humor is a good thing, but not everyone meets eye to eye with what is funny. In anything, what one finds funny may be viewed as offensive to another. In this case, you found it funny, others had problems with it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

funny that sculpey's sig is based on humor regarding Hitler, and that about 80% of the males on this board have in some point or another made some inappropriate comment or pic towards the female gender. just pointing that out.

i'd still love to hear exactly what they thought.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The sig doesn't offend me, but there are many other things I see on the internet that I take offense to, yet most of the time I turn the other cheek in my ongoing and noble effort to "get along." Can't we all?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I find this extremely funny...people are offended by LV's sig??? you've got to be kidding me. I highly doubt LV was trying to offend people on purpose, i don't think she is that type of girl. But if you do have a problem with her sig, gee's PM the girl. She's not going to bite your head off. I really don't see how the sig is offensive, you hear the word NIGGER all the time on TV, you hear it on the streets, it's all over the internet but it can't be on a map? I think this just really took the cake for me. That's just being really immature. That's ridculous.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LV: I thought your sig was pretty funny. It's basically a play on the very common (among all groups) "nigga, please" saying. In the sense that the saying is used, I personally don't find it offensive at all.
    dion

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i was gonna make a comment about dumbing this board down, but now that Dion's here... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Inactive Member BrutalityReignsSupreme's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i take that as the way it is so. but a bit of thinking ahead wouldn't have armed, don't you think ?

the user with the funny name a few posts back ... put that in your signature (date in Istanbul she shows in Constantinople) ... than let's wait for the girls around here to complain about it ...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I found Robin in Idaho, but Hostboard won't let me show you.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jor, its been a while since I've heard the song. couldnt remember which way it was and since I dont study maps or anything, wasnt sure [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam. Why they changed it, I can't say. People just liked it better that way.