Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Death Of A Friend? (MAJOR SPOILERS)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

All true... except, you don't have to be a virgin. I don't know if the vow of chastity is taken at the beginning or the end of training, I'm guessing the beginning, but virginity doesn't matter.

Although, I guess it would be easier if ya didn't know what you were missing.

Kahlana

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree with you 100% Knighty.I definately think something major must have happened for Kurt to become a priest.Im thinking maybe something to do with his family?.When/if they decide to chuck the whole priest thing I hope they show us what made him decide to go that road in the first place.Kahlana is right,you dont have to be a virgin to become a priest,you just cant have sex afterwards.

------------------
    `~`~`Dragonlady`~`~`

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry, BAMF! but what I'm feeling is not something that I can get used to. I think the priest thing is grossly out of character. There's a world of difference between being religious and choosing to become a priest. And as KC has said, it just isn't plausible for NC to get accepted in semenary. I don't even see that preist-wanabee as the same character, and since he's so flat, its hard to care whether he's "happy" or not. If and when he gives up the student priest act, his integrity will be diminished. It would be a failure, and the character would be weakened. I think what is more likely is that they'll keep him a "student-priest" indefinately, and all of his light-hearted, swashbuckling traits will be forgotten. That's why I would rather that they just kill him, and start fresh in some alternate universe. I know that sounds really harsh, but I did my mourning several months back when I realized how completely fucked up NC was. There's just no plausible way to fix him.

I'm really angry at claremont. At first I thought he had something really interesting in store for the elf, but since he has not followed up on that in the 9 or 10 months he's been writing, I now see that it was all for the shock value. I really had an "Emperor has no clothes" experience last year concerning claremont. It dawned on me that he is a rotten writer. The greatness of that legendary first run must have been due to the editors and artists. I have learned that many of the major plot turns in the Pheonix Saga were either Jim Shooter's or John Byrne's doing. I can't believe anymore that claremont had much to do with it, but he got all the credit and it went to his head. I remember last summer reading an interview. He was asked if he reads the boards and newsgroups, and he said something like, "Oh who has the time?" He's just full of himself and doesn't give a damn about the fans. I don't think the replacing writers do either. Morrison basks in the glow of fan idolation too much for my tastes. I'm never going to trust a writer like that again. I'm banking on Millar's Ultimate NC because Millar listens to readers, and the Evo Kurt, cuz he's too young and precocious to even think about religion.

------------------
    It's all you need in souperheroes and haute cuisine:
    Culinary_X

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<font size=+3>DAMN STRAIGHT, SPATCH!!</font>

And as for Evo-NC being too young and precocious to even think about religion, I think that that may not be completely true, but I DO think that they've captured the TRUE essence of his character over there...A demon-looking freak with a heart of Fool's Gold.

------------------
    ~~I'll be standing in the rain with my pants on fire when it all goes wrong again~~

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Millar seems like a terrific guy. AND he's a good writer. I just read Ultimate X-Men #2 yesterday -- my God, but it was nice to actually ENJOY an X-book for a change. The dialogue was funny and engaging instead of just getting us from point A to point B or making some inflated point about "the world that hates and fears us blah blah blah"; the characters had individual personalities that weren't based on stereotypes like "the charming devil-may-care thief" or "the hard-boiled soldier". LET'S HEAR IT FOR GOOD WRITING!

Morrison does have a big head, but he's also a pretty good writer. I have a feeling that I may not like where he takes the X-Men, but that it will be competently executed and interesting if nothing else. His rock star status may give him a bit of freedom from editorial interference. Also, he's interested in questions of reality and the imagination and things of that nature, and I think the X-Men could use a bit of a change from the social allegory angle to something a little more metaphysical. He does know what he's doing, unlike Claremont, who has probably the single worst prose style in comics. Scott Lobdell's captions actually sounded MUSICAL to me in #390 after that steady diet of Claremont, and that's just sad.

Casey I don't know much about. The few things by him I've read were good, and he doesn't have that rock star thing going that Morrison has -- at least I don't think he does.

Whether or not we like what the X-Men become, I think they will at least stop being MEDIOCRE with Morrison and Casey on board. It won't be a drag, like (IMHO) it's been for the last several years. As for now, I'm very happy with Ultimate X-Men, and I'm starting to lean toward Spat's position: if NC gets into the Ultimate title, which he very may well, I'll be happy, and bugger the regular continuity smile

-Rex

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Some brilliant points, and counter-points being made everyone! It all boils down to one thing...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rex Luscus:
    LET'S HEAR IT FOR GOOD WRITING!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel like that is the main thing that's going to bring readers back to the X-universe in general and the Marvel Universe Nightcrawler in particular. Here's hoping Casey and Morrison will deliver... smile

BAMF!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123