Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face

I jsut discovered i had an annoying virus replicating it's little heart out on my computer. by the time i found it there were over 500 files corrupted by it. so, though it is not spread by e-mail to my knowledge, it may have ended up on my home-page embedded in one or more of the files (i just re-uploaded everything with a fresh copy, safe now for certain)... so if you have been to my homepage and downloaded anything from there, i apolagize, you may have the funlove virus. it's not destructive or anything, but it's annoying all the same. if you do not have a virus scanner go here for a free virus scan of your system to make sure http://housecall.antivirus.com/ i mean, i am the daughter of a computer expert, i NEVER accept files form anyone in e-mail and always double check my downloads and yet i still managed to get it.... [img]frown.gif[/img] I used a DOS program to get rid of it, but i checked again with the virus scanner above and it still found one file infected after that, so make sure you check and clean your system twice!

<font color="#2c557f" size="1">[ June 01, 2002 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Nocturne ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Peace all,
    Yup the Internet can be a big scary place and if you don't protect yourself you can land in a world of hurt. I should know being the manager of the techsupport group for a regional ISP. Symantec has an online scan as well just click:

Scan

Online scans can help but don't offer any protection. If you have not done it ever run your critical windows updates now. If you need a nice FREE AV program with timely free updates (and it is not a memory hog like the big boys [img]wink.gif[/img] ) go to:

AVG antivirus

Click the free download link. There is a short questionnaire but it is free.

BamfKat,
    "Let's be careful out there..." [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yeah, the funny thing is, i had a virus scanner, but for years i never picked up even the most minor of viruses, so when my system got rebuilt a couple years ago, we left a virus checker off. stupid, yes, but i assumes i was computer savvy enough to avoid the problem. i found out where it came from tho. the virus kept resurfacing, wiht a couple new files infected over a few hours. i'd clean them, then a few hours later... but i noticed the files were always first infected in one directory. the directory for address.com free internet which i used for a couple months until i got a real ISP her in Ontario. deleted the address.com directory and havnet seen a peep form the virus since. a professional company download intended to help people gave me the virus. not some lame e-mail attachment or shady download off KaZaA.. nooo... professional software. beware address.com

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Same here... the only viruses I have ever caught are from file transfer (antiexe and a w97 trojan I can't recall which one.... [img]frown.gif[/img] ) both from file transfers and neither detectible by housecall or norton's online scans. [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]

AVG has you create a rescue disk so you can clean the boot sectors. One would need a windows boot disk as well for that operation.

BamfKat

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: viruses suck

Ya, it is true thing because some times virus may affect the systems and we lost our important data .The Internet is a big scary place, if you do not protect yourself, you can damage the land in the world. I should be aware of a regional ISP.Online scan 010 group managers can help, but does not provide any protection. If you have not done it to run critical Windows updates.
    [url=http://smallbusiness.norton.com?om_ext_cid=soho_ext_blurbpoint_forum/]Norton Antivirus for small business[/url]