Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So...

This topic might get some of you riled up or some will agree or whatever, but here goes.
    Last edited by Yazimariel; April 27th, 2013 at 12:33 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Have you ever seen A Day Without a Mexican?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

**resists pouncing Yaz**

Well, Yazimariel, I... um...

**pounce!**

[img]smile.gif[/img] Ahhh, why resist the inevitable?

However, the key here is "illegal". My ancestors were asked to move from Germany to Russia (Ukrain) in the 1840s because they were tough, peaceful & hard workers. They were asked to move from Ukrain to Canada in the late 1890s because they were tough, peaceful & hard workers. Also, things were getting bad in the Czar's Russia and many were afraid. Little did they know what would happen in 1917... they'd have really been afraid!

The point is, LEGAL imigration is a good thing. Illegal is just that, against the law. If you don't like the law, change it. But to not enforce it, for ONE group, is just stupid.

Every country has a border and the RIGHT to say who crosses it & who doesn't.
    Allowing millions of Illegal latinos to stay is a slap in the face of the millions more who've come to the USA properly.
    Allowing certian big businesses to make obscene profits by ruthlessly exploiting illegal aliens is just wrong!
    Furthermore, if 10s of millions of Latinos are let in willy-nilly, criminals, drug lords & other scum (as well as some good folks) then 10s of millions of Africans, then 100s of millions of Asians... you get the idea? No more USA! You-all will become a 3rd world country, just like Canada [img]frown.gif[/img]

But feel free to exercise your rights and freedoms, just keep in mind that NOT ONE SINGLE country on earth has "open borders" which is what you're advocating.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My two cents: nothing pressures people to breach the law as need (and, uhm, women...but that's another topic).

A sign of disagreement towards immigration laws will help changing them.

And there is such need to change laws on immigration after globalization!

One of my best friend is Lebanese and she can't come visit me because my country assumes she's a terrorist as she comes from an Arab country and her father (university professor) is Palestinian.

Martina (Chaos Butterfly) can't come to look for a job in Italy because she needs to have one BEFORE she even starts travelling.

The point?

Most "democratic countries" have legislations that simply have as assumption that foreigners are a threat. Trying to change the assumption into "foreigners are an opportunity" might help. And public opinion can do lots on this.

And being illegal doesn't always mean being WRONG.

A law can be unfair and it's right to breach it (it was a concept even Roman philosophers knew and they actually created Western Countries law systems).
    And then there is life: I would overrule any law on the planet if I was in danger or in such need or if I just knew I could have the possibility to change my life from starvation to dignity.

And we have a moral duty to recognize any immigrant's dignity.

If breaching law was always wrong, then my best friend would have spent three years in jail, after she was seen kissing a girl, as in her country homosexuality is illegal. Now the girl she kissed is an activist and fights to change the law.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

AMEN Cats!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

No! Not the brush! Aaaa!
    **screeches to a halt**
    Oh wait! I love being brushed [img]smile.gif[/img]

I totally agree that it's not just Latinos, but that seems to be the singular message of the pro-illegal-aliens camp. Also, many illegal Latinos are concentrated in a few places, making them far more visible than, say, illegal Canadians [img]smile.gif[/img] (of which there are about 300,000 I've heard)

Wall across the Canadian border? Lmao! I drove along that border in the fall, the 49th paralel & there isn't even a fence! There are some stone markers from 1812 though. The Canadian/US border isn't the problem. The problem is Americans hiring illegals on the cheap.

I fully support the idea of allowing (several million) more working visas & such (in the US, not much demand for it in Canada) BUT you gotta clear out the ill-legals first, or another 10 million will be over the border by Tuesday...

Yes the USA has interferred with Central & South America a lot, but that happens the world over, not just by the USA but by every country that thinks it can.
    Right now, Sudan is messing around politically in Chad!! Okay, this is really *&%^$-up right here. You know? About a million Sudanese refugees in Chad, the poorest country on the planet? Oy!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

And so the appointed day has come and gone.
    Not one little thing changed in the USA. This has demonstrated beyond all reasonable doubt that the illegal aliens provide little or zero into the US economy, and in fact drain a considerable amount out of it.
    This is really the story of greedy "industrialists" who are more than willing to exploit anyone to make a buck.
    Take careful note how many of these exploiters are members of the Democratic party, hense no mention whatsoever in the MSM. Remeber Bill Clinton? He tried to appoint 2 women to the post of Attorney General only to have it discovered that each had knowingly hired illegal aliens to do yardwork! (psst: it's a crime, and the attorney general isn't supposed to be a criminal, eh??)
    The first one said 'oh whatever, everyone does it!' (ie I am above the law, make me in charge of the law!)
    The second one said 'oh, I let my husband run domestic affairs' (ie 'I'm just a girl tee hee! Put me in charge of the law!')
    So he got Madeline Albright (shudder) since no males in the USA were qualified, apparently.

But disregardless of history, I think Jay Leno put it well:

"Ok a question, if we don't meet the illegal immigrants' demands, what are they going to do? Leave?"

I believe this is the funniest thing Jay Leno has ever said [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

One day of protest that didn't "hurt" the American ecomnomy doesn't prove that illegal immigrants don't contribute to our economy. Especially since we don't know the real percentage that went to work that day in fear of losing their job. Hopefully, the protest sent a message and Congress can figure out something to help alleviate the problem in a way that doesn't crimmalize 11 million people.

The only long-term solution to illegal immigration is for people to have healthy and safe (aka freedom/rights) home countries. Global equality for most countries is the best way toward peace, human rights, and less illegal immigration. People come here because where they come from has such a poor economy, they feel America is the only place to have a future for themselves and their family. Put it on a small scale. I wouldn't live in my birth-city of New Orleans (pre-Katrina even) because it doesn't have the jobs, money, standard of living that Houston offers. I live where I live because I can have a real life here.

There should be a real effort to legalize those illegals who want to become a US citizen. And, yes, the focus needs to be on all immigrants, not only Latinos, who get talked about and treated like they are some draining disease on our country because they "snuck" in.

We are all immigrants (though I am part American Indian). It's what made America what it is. We need to remember that and find a way to make today's immigrants a part of our country, too.

Besides, I wonder how many of our ancestors came here illegally to escape their troubled country or persecution?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Must respectfully disagree with you Bran.
    Being NA Indian (in my opinion only) doesn't make one any more "native" than I am, 3rd generation North American. (Not that you said that! I understand, eh? Just pointing out that even the Aborigionals came here from elsewhere)
    And while it's true that this one day proves nothing (Again agreeing) about economic contribution, it was forcast by the pro-illegal side that it'd be devistating, which it weren't.
    Unfortunatly those 11 million (give or take eh?) are already criminals! They broke the laws of the USA and why for goodness sake should they be excused? Hey lets excuse other lawbreakers too! Heck, empty the jails! (ok i'm being rude, sorry, but it's pretty obvious to me that you can't just "excuse" certain lawbreakers because it makes big $$ for some big businesses) Every single country in the world guards their borders better than the USA, what's up wit dat?
    And finally, my great-great grandpa came to Canada by specific invitiation of the Canadian government, and to flee the increasing tyrrany and oppression of Czarist Russia. Very few people, before WW1, came to North America illegally, but lately it's into the millions. Why? Because the rest of the world sucks! And people would rather run than change. Not that I blame them, BUT we don't want them! No one said that North America was the dumping grounds for 4 BILLION suffering people.
    Okie?