Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just wondering if the lack of activity over the past couple days might, in addition to the blackout, also have something to do with that horrid W32.blaster.worm virus that's been going about?

If you (like me, and my dad, and at least half the people with internet connections I know) caught the virus and have been having as much trouble as I did getting rid of it, you might check this page:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ster.worm.html

It's got a free cleaning tool AND a link to a Microsoft hotfix that will eliminate the security vulnerability so that you don't get it again. Make sure you run BOTH of these before connecting to the internet again. Removing the worm alone without repairing security will not help since you're likely to get the thing when you start your internet connection (that's what happened to my dad -- it took us two hours to finally get everything downloaded, run the fixes, and then do the manual clean-up to make sure everything went right).

Then again, if you've got the worm, you most likely can't stay connected to the internet for more than a couple of minutes, so I'm not even sure why I'm typing this. Ah well...

take care

---jones()

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I guess my firewall is good. I haven't experienced the virus. I heard some guys talking about it at Staples. Any idea how this worm is transmitted?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Blaster scans for machines that have the vunerablity and downloads and installs itself. It does not travel through email. If you have a firewall (hardware or software), you're protected (unless you have the firewall set to allow EVERYTHING in).

Microsoft released that fix a month ago, before the virus was created. It's a good reminder that people should run the Windows Updates once a week. The important updates to do are the ones under the Critical Updates category. Ones marked Security Update or Critical Update are safe to download and install. Service Packs and other major changes (like a new version of Internet Explorer) should only be done after they've been out awhile.

This is a good and free firewall software program.

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-....html?tag=list

I've had several customers' get it on their home computers. Luckily, we knew about the vunerbility last month, so our customers' work computers were protected.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I noticed more than usual port scan attacks on my firewall log last Friday and Saturday.

Here's a spiffy little device to monitor your computers activity in case you're worried that it's been hacked.

SiMeter

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Apparently this worm doesn't go after old operating systems, so my windows 98 is immune.

I have to say, I am liking 98, having experienced newer systems that require you to register them, Microsoft is truly trying to take over the world!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, but I hate 98's instability, especially after any real length of time (though if one takes care of their computer, it does well for a long time). Windows 2000 doesn't require any special activation, which is good. That is the one thing about XP I don't like.

It is lucky that Blaster didn't go after Win98. I imagine the infections would have been a lot worse.

The new problem this week has been the SoBig.F virus. Has caused a lot of infections, probably most in virus history. If people have questions on it, let me know.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Read a bit about that one Bran, theory is that it is softening up the net for SPAM. The evil that almost rivals Microsoft for Evil King!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I used to have XP Corporate Edition -- awful, AWFUL operating system. Highly unstable (on my machine at least), and if you make a change to your hardware, you have to call Microsoft for a brand new license key (or, in my case, run the license crack process over again [img]wink.gif[/img] ).

I went back to a dual-boot with Win2k (which is the only Microsoft OS since DOS 5 that I have any faith in) and 98 (which is how I was able to get an internet connection when the blaster worm infected Win2k). But my ultimate aspiration is to add Linux and gradually ween myself off Microsoft entirely (which, admittedly, will be difficult, but only because I'm addicted to hacked & cracked software, and there's a special thrill in using a hack or crack on a Microsoft product).

take care

---jones()

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Blackout and bad-ass virus...

We all know that Microsoft releases fixes a month ago, in the virus. This is a good reminder that people should run Windows Update once a week. Make important updates, critical updates, under the category. Mark security updates or critical updates are safe to download and install.Black pastor in October sent hundreds of uniformed black Southern California students, encouraging blacks to vote Proposition 8. Events from the school, smiling children had been dismissed. Read "for the children for the family and our future."
    [url=http://smallbusiness.norton.com?om_ext_cid=soho_ext_blurbpoint_forum]Norton Antivirus for small business[/url]

Junior Hostboard Member miholot105's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Blackout and bad-ass virus...

Make this Valentine's Day one to remember with the Ovo Valentine Varsity Jacket. Whether you're gifting it to yourself or someone special, this jacket is sure to be a hit with anyone who loves fashion and romance