Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If anyone cares... Paradise Too is ending.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Especially when I win said debates...not that I did this time, I didn't really enter into the fray...but there wasn't anything wrong with what you said...like the others said above...it's talking...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

The thing I found with SiP, personally, is that Katchoo became less and less redeemable in my eyes. She went from a bitch with a mysterious past to a strong woman coping with her troubles to a woman who abused those closest to her for little reason...
    I now find Francine way more interesting, which is not something I ever thought I would say. I'd really rather read about David's past or Francine's past than slog around in Katchoo's past. Which makes the current arc so-so, in my eyes.
    But as for quality, I'm not complaining. It's just my interests have changed.

As far as the GLAAD thing goes, I have my issues with the lesbian portrayal in SiP. While Katchoo is a 3D character, she falls under the killer lesbian psycho stereotype a lot of the time. And Francine provides an interesting critique of the whitebread suburbia ideal, but never questions society's views, only her own. not that I think a thinly veiled lecture on minority rights and queer theory would fit into SiP - I just think when Terry gets tired he cashes in on some stereotypes I wouldn't utilise, personally.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good point there Jadian...it was all my babbling was trying to express, thanks.

I've always had the idea that a writer should feel free to tell his/her own story, so no ideological-queer issue here. But I often feel that when a writer falls into a stereotype, and he/she is too gifted to seem so easy to fall, well I wonder if she/he is losing part of the inspiration.
    And well, this could be a great issue for a debate: Katchoo was born as a stereotype, or she just slipped in it sometimes? You know, there are a lot of stereotypical situations about Katchoo's lesbianism in the story. My two cents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Katchoo has become a bit of a stereotype. I used to think Francine was, but she has been questioning a lot of things these days, not just her weight issues. She even talked to the family minister about her ideas once and showed far more courage about her feelings and thoughts than I seem to be able to muster whenever I am around anyone who feels differently than I do. I was proud of Francine for that. I've always considered her to be the weaker character, but she has been showing some real strength.

Plus, I think she dreamed about an ancestor who killed herself after not marrying the (black) man she loved. This is a sign that Francine is really questioning all the things she has been raised to believe.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123