Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm plenty of people saying its good but I don't think I'll go see it. I'm probably not in a very good mindset to see anything that possibly emotional. Hell I cried during the big rock production of Jesus Christ Superstar I went to.

Dismus cool! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] My Dad used to actually tell me to pray to him at times. [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img] Then again my Dad used to go to the pub while we were at church and we'd go pick him up after.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Jim Jones and David Koresh were ego maniacs who killed their followers when they were losing their grip on control.

Using "I talk to g-d" is a cheap excuse to gather people around.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

Exactly As Is, JJ and DK were loonie toons, but their followers thought them exaulted for whatever reason. No doubt the Romans thought the Christians were nuts too. Only time tells who's sacred and who's profain.
    (to be sure- JJ and Dk are NOT sacred!)

Mohamed lived in mud huts with his 10 wives, the most powerful and richest man in all of the middle east!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by 3peanuts:

Just thinking about [mel gibson's] personal idea about women, about homosexuality, and about anything human, well, I ask myself what else he could do with this mental structure.
    <font size="2" face="Comic sans ms, Helvetica, sans-serif">i'm unaware of his views on those subjects; what are they?

i haven't seen this movie, and i don't intend to see it, however i will say this: what if he's not trying to send a distinct message? what if he's just showing us what happened, plain and simple? trying not to take a particular point of view, and just show us, as objectively as possible, what happened? (then again, if it's coming directly from the bible, it's far from objective. but anyway.) as if to say, "watch. this is what happened. it's not all pretty and sugar-coated as you may think. this is the reality of these events. watch." perhaps it's an attempt to make us re-think things a bit, to make people fully understand the events as they occurred?

again, i haven't seen it. i'm just throwing out ideas, from what i've heard/seen of it in the media, as well as from those who've seen it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

jelymo, that seemed like what he's going after.

and don't expect us to try to explain the movie to you. it's one of those deals you have to see for yourself, the emotions were unexplainable. it's kind of like heavier than what I've felt when I first saw Saving Private Ryan.Driving home after I've seen Passion, I was just literally drained.

So go see it or not see it, but don't expect to get the idea from what other people tell you about the movie.

(and hey you sneaky quiet Jelymo, pm me and let me know how things are going in your life!)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

me? sneaky and quiet? nawww ... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

yeah, i ain't expecting an explanation from people. i figure it's just one of those things you have to see to understand. i had that drained feeling after watching Blackhawk Down ... however upon later reflection, i became irritated at how pro-american the movie was - and i realize that was the point - but i would have preferred that film be more objective, and at least better understand the other side. anything but picking off the somalis as coldly as skeet shooting ... but that's another story for another time and place.

i like films that just show us events, and leave us to interpret their meaning. if there is a meaning to interpret.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by jelymo:

i like films that just show us events, and leave us to interpret their meaning. if there is a meaning to interpret.
    <font size="2" face="Comic sans ms, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's basically what this film had done with the crucifixion event, and the meaning I've interpreted out of it is basically a message of forgiveness.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree, Dwim.

but basicly don't knock it till you have seen it. not a hit on anyone , just saying how can you know about somthing you have never seen or done?

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 03, 2004 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Ski ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Personally, I have no plans on knocking it. I also have no plans of seeing it.

Every person I've talked to has had wonderful things to say about it... how they better understand what the sacrifice was about, how difficult forgiveness is...

Not one person that I know has come away with any sort of anger directed at anybody.

Myself... I don't need to see a two hour presentation of horror to know that we, the human race, attack dignity and kindness whenever we find it. I already know that the real tragedy of the human race is that you only ever see the heights that we can achieve when we are confronted with the horror that we can sink to. I know who killed Christ... we did. Just like we killed Gandhi, and King... just like we kill anyone who steps forward and says that we can be better than we are.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Media talk about Mel Gibson as a short-sighted person who tries to see something that is too far from his reach. This is my personal interpretation. An ex-Cath. Italian personal interpretation.

Maybe it's just that I don't feel any attachment to Christ's passion anymore, moreover having read all the stuff I've read about Eastern mythology and religion I tend to put the whole "Christ-thing" in a different perspective. So my emotional participation is almost null, and this certainly does influence my opinion more than I can tell.

Remains what I think: if he was going to just describe what happened and he wasn't meaning to pass a message, than why he deliberately chose to create (because I'm not so naive to not understand that most of this noise is created on purpose) such a mediatic mess, about something that should be considered sacred and holy?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast