Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Another tangent... (Sorry all, I'm sticking to my guns on the "future in doubt" speculations I've made. I can't recall Terry ever 100% guaranteeing that the "future" we've seen was assured...)
    'sides, if Terry is so true to his word regarding direction with the series, why is the next issue going to be about Molly Lane when he's "sworn" that he'd never touch the Molly & Poo characters again?

Anyway, what I'm thinking is that the recently split Brad and Francine will NOT be getting back together; Brad, from what little we've seen of him, seems to me to be too strong/resilient a character to come back should Francine change her mind (which personally I hope/don't think she will.) I think he'd maintain a connection because of the child, but not a whole lot more than that.

It's good to see David stand up for himself, once and for all, but I don't think this issue is his character's swan song, not by a long shot. He will likely be back eventually, but when he does come back into the fold, it's going to be a very different dynamic than before...

#%!$%@ --Freddie shows a glimpse of human compassion! Then follows it up in a not-so-stellar fashion! Guess I shouldn't have expected any less, but it would be nice to see Freddie grow up and become something of an actual human being before the end of the series...

There's my 2 cents; anyone else got anything?

------------------
    "Listen to the chair leg of truth! It does not lie! What does it say?"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I enjoyed this one. It really felt like the plot was moving forward.
    But then I remembered that this has happened before. And then I asked myself 'How many times can you twist the plot before it's head pops off?"

Really, I'm going to have to see the next few issues to say whether or not this issue actually meant anything. Sorry to be so cynical folks, but if Kat flies to Tokyo looking for David, it'll just me more of the same(hence my twist/head comment)

However, all that aside, I respected David for the first time since, well, ever. Then on the other hand, the 'good-bye' letter seems to have been in that passive-aggressive guilt inducing vein that made the words 'As long as it's your fist that's hitting me..' come out of his mouth, so that kinda takes away from the overall effect. At least he seemed genuinely miserable on the plane....I'm not saing that out of meanness, cause you've just got to belly up and face it when things get that bad, and it was nice to see thru the patient 'meek shall inherit the earth' facade.

As to his comment about Mary Beth, I winced at that one too-why? Kat has just gotten to spend a small amount of time getting to know her estranged sister, and the first thing out of his mouth is 'I'm glad she's gone' D'OH! That doesn't play in Peoria, let me tell you.......being afraid of her is no reason to say somehting that insensitive to Kat, because I really don't she was happy to see Mary Beth go, that was just stupid.

And I'm going to assume the 10 year flash forward is concrete fact. Why? Because if it's not, it means that Terry has written himself into a corner, and the only way out is a doofy ret-con that severly damages the integrity of the book. For it to be a dream sequence or fantasy what-if all this time with no hint or explanation would not speak well of Terry's ability as a writer(especially because he would have then repeated himself in pretty much the same way recently) and personally I think he has much more talent and originality than all that.

Darth

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AsIs:
    Wow! I almost liked Freddy for minutes there... wink
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As did I. Too bad he went right back to being Freddie again. What an idiot.

As for David leaving. Good for him. It's damn well about time. I was so sick of how Katchoo treats him. She deserves what happened.

I am new to these posts but not to the series and I have to say that this is one of the few books that continuously makes me think. Or always provokes a reaction, both good and bad. Or forces me to pick it back up and re-read it again to be sure I didn't miss anything the first or fifth time I re-read it.

A.

------------------

Jaxom 27

And so the story goes...who said the end is nothing more than a new beginning...?

------------------
    Before allowing drunken friend to cheat on his girl, you must attempt one
    intervention. If he is able to get on his feet, look you in the eye, and deliver
    a "F...OFF!" You are absolved of your of responsibility.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Welcome to the boards Archipelago, glad to have you here! smile

I agree that the end part of David's exchange with Katchoo was honest and not emotional blackmail. But I do think the we will talk when we get home is uncool. Sort of like when you know you are in trouble with your parents and they put off the discussion til later letting you dread it over time.

Has Katchoo been unapproachable? Yeah, I'll agree with that. But that doesn't make David's approach right.

And Darth, gotta disagree with you a little bit. Francine has never stood on her own two feet before. She has never left the comfort zone of having someone else who takes care of her. This is a HUGE step for Francine, even if it only lasts a week. Since she was able to do it at all is a big BIG thing.

David's leaving Katchoo after the emotional stuff that happened...well, I have mixed feelings. I think David was right to leave Katchoo, but again, the way he did it, in my opinion is emotional blackmail. I think David is very good at this game.

I also think Katchoo is in serious need of therapy and a good kick in the butt. I don't agree with her treatment of David or Francine for that matter.

But as I have said before, all three of these people are broken and in need of repair. But I think Francine is the only one on her way at this point in the story.

What didn't see do? She didn't call Katchoo as soon as she moved and run to her. She's taking the time to take care of herself.

------------------
    Selah

The bridge between life and death is love.

Inactive Member christinethebean's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i don't see david's actions as emotional blackmail, because he might have seen it as being honest about his feelings. keep in mind that she didn't want to deal with him no matter what he was saying. as one who's been accused of exactly the same thing he's doing, i can assure you that repeated phrasing of what he was saying is NOT blackmail, only over-honesty.

------------------
    those who hear not the music think the dancers mad
    she is like a symphony to me

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I hope it's good for David that he's leaving, though I'm not sure going back "home" will be a good thing.

Neither David or Kat have treated each other very well recently. David should have caught a clue a long long time ago. Katchoo has been especially harsh recently, but it seems to be the thing that made David finally take some action.

I'm proud of Fran and Casey this issue. Casey's comment to Kat was the best thing. She seems to have her head on better than anyone right now. And, heh heh, I loved that bonquet of flowers dumped on Freddie's head. He so deserved it. Kudos to Fran for finally making up her mind and giving herself some space. And for dumping on Freddie, of course. Good to see Chuck again, though he continues to betray Fran's trust (first her bikini and pictures, now telling Freddie where she lives, can the boy keep any secrets?).

As for the 10 years ahead: I hope it's the real deal, and I think it is for pretty much the same reasons Darth mentioned. Part of the greatness of Terry is that he can take this seemly unreachable future and make it happen. Besides, there's, what, 7-8 years to go before we hit that future point.

------------------
    The ninja lesbian milk getter. aka dorkflakes.
    Take the time to look up at the moon and stars.
    I'm tired of the silent majority. Silence equals death.
    Help Hostboard by clicking on a banner today.
    ChatterBox
    Bran's Place

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AsIs:
    Welcome to the boards Archipelago, glad to have you here! smile
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you! I should have been here a very long time ago. I guess I forgot about the SiP site. My bad. smile

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
    But as I have said before, all three of these people are broken and in need of repair. But I think Francine is the only one on her way at this point in the story.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I must say that the one thread that always drove me nuts about this wonderful book is that it never seemed like any of them grew from their experiences. Or if they did, then they fell right back into bad habits.

I am hoping that Francine's independence is a permanent thing. It was a strong step forward to take control of her life and NOT settle into a marriage that she didn't want quite yet.

David's decision to leave for Tokyo may not have been his best decision, nor is the way he did it entirely fair to Katchoo, but then again, when is life fair all of the time? I think Katchoo deserved the slap in the face, as childish as it was of David to do so. Maybe they will both grow from here?

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Yeah, Kat did earn the slap in the face.

And many people in life take a hell of a long time to learn from their mistakes. (If they ever really do).

------------------
    Selah

The bridge between life and death is love.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Veronica Pace has it right(NOT the comic book Veronica!!! ) about David. I dance NO 'Happy Dance' here.
    Yes, he did the right thing.
    Yes, F & K are each others' destiny"

Heh, Veronica is what attraced me to the SIP line. The cover of issue 31 is STILL one of my favourites, along with issue 37 and 45...beautiful art Terry...Veronica was interesting to me because she made all three pull together. As an adversary, she was cunning, throughly evil but at the same time she had enough quirks and pettiness to make her seem quite real...

ANYWAY...............

I'm not so sure K&F are each other's dsetinies...it SEEMS that way to be sure, but I do not think either of them will be able to maintain a relationship until they sort things out...

I would laugh SO hard if:

Katchoo and Freddie fall for each other
    Francine and David hook up.

Ooooooh man just thinking of Katchoo and Freddie together brings back images of the Honeymooners, among others smile

Go Terry, don't stop!

Hugs
    Veronica

------------------

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast