Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Molly Lane, SiP 46, and Spoilers!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Hmmmmm. Well, what to say about this issue. I liked it. It was cool and fun. Thanks Terry for showing us another side to yer writing.

Buuuuuuuut.

What was the point? I'm not gonna say it was pointless, cuz I've been caught with my foot in my mouth before, here on these very boards (thanks a lot Terry! tongue wink) and I acted like an ass...

But seriously... I got finished with this book, and I kept thinking that there would be another page or something, tying it in to something that we know about.

So...why did you give this to us? I guess we'll just have to wait another six weeks to find out, huh?

My mom says she and I like "stories that unfold peice by peice." Me? I just think I'm a glutton for punishment. wink biggrin

------------------
    will you fogive me when i'm gone?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

For this, I paid $2.95?

Color me unimpressed.

All it managed to accomplish was demystifying Molly. I had always felt that Molly had been caught up in her writing, mezmerized by the characters she was creating to exorcise her inner demons. But, nope, she's just a whack job with a daddy thing, opps, my bad...
    This just dulls the edge of the original story. 18 pages an 5 full page dramatic pauses. Bleah. At least you cut the lettes page to make some room for the blanks....

Now, as it stands by itself, it wasn't bad, just a poor sequal. But I have to assume the only reason this issue is showing up is because Molly is going to figure into the story of our '2 girls from Houston' and well, that's stretching things a bit to thin. Terry, I lova ya man, but adding Molly 'I'll never re-print that dark corner of my career' Lane is going to some how be inserted into the girls life, is gonna make me wonder how many time you can twist the plot before it's head pops off. If not, well, it's too late to try to tun SiP into an ensemble cast.
    I guess this would have been better(not much, but better) as Molly and Poo special #2....

In light of this issue, I'm kinda worried about the All Casey issue. Terry, I don't want to believe these are all elaborate ruses to draw out the story of SiP. So, please, don't give me any more reason than you already have, eh?

(BTW-In case you didn;t see me mention it on another thread, I just saw the promo art for UTM with your Black Widow-and WoW! It looks great!)

Darth

------------------
    'A long life eating mush is best.'
    Kawatabuke Sanjuro, ronin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmm...

I really liked the 2-pager with the kids in school. I wish the issue had more room to focus a few more scenes on that time period, even if it would be mostly about Molly and possibly her relationship with Benjamin.

I'm not sure what I think about the rest of it yet. Need to read it over once more. I enjoyed it, but I think I expected a little more from it. I guess I shouldn't step outside my TPB-only SIP reading zone. It was too tempting though. I knew this wouldn't spoil any of the current Katchoo/Francine/David storyline for me, and based on how much I enjoyed your other recent one-character-study issue (Freddy), I thought it'd be of the same entertaining quality.

Congrats Terry on once again pulling off "creepy & disturbing" though, especially with Molly's story involving the swan and the very last line in the issue tying into that tale.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It definitely demistify (sp?) Molly. And I'd have to check the Molly and Poo issue (which is a masterpiece imho) but I thought Molly's hair was long when she killed 'Daddy'. Making it all a daddy thing. Well. I don't know if I liked it or not. It's Molly and her life and how she came to be, so, I'll accept it and move on. I liked the whole corpses and God deal and of course I enjoyed Katchoo's little butt slapping self. HEEE. I will interject here that I wouldn't mind hearing more about Kat and Francie's junior high/high school years. Unfortunately, with the high school years issue you made it impossible to intercept it with some 'fun time between Kat and Fran before Kat is raped'.
    I saw the issue as a one shot, that might or might not be introduced in the mainstream story, but that it was colorful and dark and weird enough that it might get people's attention to SiP and gather more readership. Don't get me wrong,I loved the issue. Molly's changes, how the 'jungle' was taking over her side of the psychiatrist room, the whole stardust deal, I liked that. A man whose friends call him Daddy sounded weird to me, but hey, weirder nicknames are out there. All in all, a good stand alone. I'll admit, not as satisfying as Molly and Poo, but well, that one was more prose than anything else, so it's hard to achieve all that in such lil space.
    Now please,PLEASE, can we move on with the story? Can we just see what happens with Kat and Fran?

------------------
    "I'm telling you stories. Trust me." Jeanette Winterson

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

It seemed to me as though there was a connection made between Miss Noel from issue #45 and Molly Lane. Here we have two women who have been taken advantage of and wounded by a man. Each, however, has chosen a different path in dealing with the hurt. Miss Noel refuses to let her anger consume her. In her eyes, to do so would admit defeat and allow her attacker to take away everything. Molly has allowed her emotions to consume her. I doubt there is anything left of the girl we once saw in school.

In conversation Freddy mentions that he hopes that the next girl fights back with a handgun. Molly's violent act wasn't far off the mark.

BTW, what is the story with Francine's brother? Other than a couple of brief mentions I don't remember ever seeing him interact with Francine. Does he live nearby? Does he have a family? I checked out the character list at this site, but didn't find any additional information about him.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

hes away at college in high school and now, i dont really know if we have any info on him...

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeaceB2U:
    It seemed to me as though there was a connection made between Miss Noel from issue #45 and Molly Lane.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The similarities between Molly and Katchoo are much closer. Both are creative, both were sexually abused by a father figure, and both are violent.

------------------
    Peregrinator in paradiso.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

It's interesting how similar they are actually...Molly had much less shitty things happen to her during her life, yet she turned out so badly...I think it's a testament to Katchoo's strength that she's been through so much yet she didn't fall so far as Molly did.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darth Fett:
    For this, I paid $2.95?

Color me unimpressed.

All it managed to accomplish was demystifying Molly. I had always felt that Molly had been caught up in her writing, mezmerized by the characters she was creating to exorcise her inner demons. But, nope, she's just a whack job with a daddy thing, opps, my bad...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    --As such is often the case in real life... which is how Terry, I assume, is trying to present these characters. People spend so much time building up mythos about various stars/icons/politicians/what have you, and in the end, they're just people. And then you have people getting dissapointed that they weren't something more. Natural Born Killers dealt with essentially the same subject; if you haven't seen it, I'd suggest doing so.
    I have to wonder what exactly people expected going into this issue; 24 pages of Molly waxing poetically about why she turned her husband into lunchmeat? Ugh. Then I would have been dissapointed. Molly and Poo story? Already been covered, obviously. Personally, I think it's great as a stand alone issue; between Molly and Miss Noel, we have seen both sides of a psychogical spectrum into which lil' miss Katchoo falls somewhere in the middle. I doubt Molly is destined to become any sort of recurring character in the main storyline, but still appreciate "seperate" issues that explore lesser-known characters.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darth Fett:

Terry, I lova ya man, but adding Molly 'I'll never re-print that dark corner of my career' Lane is going to some how be inserted into the girls life, is gonna make me wonder how many time you can twist the plot before it's head pops off.

In light of this issue, I'm kinda worried about the All Casey issue. Terry, I don't want to believe these are all elaborate ruses to draw out the story of SiP.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-OK, the "head pops off" analogy has officially been beaten to death... tongue I have to wonder, though, are you rushing to condemn this issue in your desire to see the series come to a conclusion? I can name an awful lot of series' that deserve a LOT less time in print than what it sounds like SIP is going to end up with...

Just my 2 3/4 cents...
    Janine

------------------
    "Listen to the chair leg of truth! It does not lie! What does it say?"

[This message has been edited by Janine773 (edited January 11, 2002).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

its not that we want to see the story END. its that we want to see the story CONTINUE. and at this point, before seeing the next issue, i dont see what this issue had to do with anything like that...

------------------

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast