Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

About three years back I was regarly hanging out at a comic/kite/rpg/ccg store, when a friend lent me his I dream of you tpb after I made some coments about his SiPshirt (the very first one I think with the heads of Francine and Katchoo) and telling him "I didn?t like the superherocomics and I?m not reading comics for that reason" on multiple occasions.

Anyways, I read it and that?s what got me into SiP and comics in general. First issue I bought was the first Image one. But I?ve got all the lose isues in the end. Not quite up to date with the tpbs though.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

While satisfying my weekly comic book fix,
    I saw SIP vol.3,#1 - two scantily clad female
    forms upon a rooftop - the blonde about to
    fall to her doom! Wondering if an adult comic
    had been misplaced among the general fare,
    I peeked between the covers, hoping to spy some lesbian erotica. To my dismay, it was
    just some weird dramedy mag with a very strange beginning, (dream sequence followed by story followed by flashback? What the?)
    Mildly intriqued and desperate for a cb fix,
    I bought it. I read it. I liked it. I ordered
    SIP TPB 1&2 - and loved them! I have since
    aquired every single issue and TPB I could get my greedy hands on! Who needs sex comics when you can have gripping plotlines, dialogue that makes you laugh, cry, or just sit and think, characters so real you swear you've met them or someone like them in your own life, and eye-gripping art that makes it that much more possible for us to live in their world, if only as a voyeour - if only for the amount of time it takes to read any given issue from cover to cover. (Well, okay... I still need erotica, but the rest still stands.)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

Hi....Im new,I wandered over here from the Nightcrawler forum.I hope you dont mind if I but in,Im a huge SiP fan.

Lets see the first issue of Strangers I picked up was #3 of the second series.I read a lot of good things about the comic in Wizard and I was looking for something different.To get away from the continuity nightmare that is X-Men.I flipped through the comic and was blown away!I thought,now THIS is a story!When I read it I found myself amediately caring for Katchoo,David,Francine and Emma.I still get tears in my eyes when I read the end scene between Katchoo and Emma.This is an issue thats close to my heart.Because having dealt with death on a few occasions I could really relate to this issue.I also have to say this is a perfect display of Terrys story telling ability.He is a master at body language and facial expressions.He doesnt forget the little things that add to the richness of a story.

------------------
    `~`~`Dragonlady`~`~`

"All I am is a man trying to live his life the best he knows how and be true to what he was taught." Nightcrawler-Excalibur Bookshelf Format#1

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow! these are like "comming out" stories. fun to read. A friend turned me on to sip years ago. she knew i was a batman freak, loved xena and i guess if you put them together...
    i started at the begining and then started getting the trades. like everyone else i was hooked.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Since 97, I'm reading comics and I buy them in their original version. (It makes me improve my english, what a good way isn't it ??)
    So in that little comic shop in France(hello Vampirella ! wink), I got several sip issues in my hand but I don't know why, I could'nt buy them.
    It's like a little voice in my head who told me, "you're not ready to read this yet". Every time I put them back.
    And one day in the beginning of 1999 I saw they had been translated in French. So I bought french tpb 1-2 and 3. Not because it was in french but I was ready.
    The day after, I began to collect issues in english, and its funny because until now there are no other french publication of sip (since 2 years now !!!). "Le temeraire", the french editor got serious problem and was obliged to close.
    Maybe one day...
    French people are not used to read comics in english, they prefer reading them in our language. So you can imagine the state of my french tpb now ! (ouch, I'm truely suffering for them frown .

------------------
    Sans amour, nous ne sommes que des ?trangers au paradis

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I feel as though we're all at our first twelve-step meeting or something... Hi, my name's CJ, and I'm a SiPaholic...

It all began in the tenth grade when I was on the prowl for a comic book that could really use the medium in a way to make me sit up and pay attention. I'd heard a little about SiP; had heard it was in some ways les/bi themed, and that it was smart. Bought the first TPB. Got home and read it. Twice. Within the next few weeks I'd conned (variously) a girlfriend and a parent into giving me the money I'd need to get the second, then the third TPBs. But reading these didn't ease my cravings; they only made me hunger for more. Fortunately this was right around the time "I Dream of You" came out. The dance I did upon learning there was a fourth book need not be repeated.

To make a long story a little bit shorter, I dropped out after the Sanctuary arc. #24 was the kicker for me. The arc began so beautifully and degenerated into a wannabe-Neil Simon sex comedy. I was disappointed. I was also going broke, and one of my vices had to go. Cigarettes stayed, caffeine stayed, SiP was out of there.

How I dropped back in... Well, to keep the AA analogy going, it was exactly like an addict taking "the first drink". I'd been having a cruddy day--got lost in the suburbs, went to visit a friend's grave and got kicked in the pants by grief again, ladida. I happened to be driving on a route that would pass a place where I knew there was a comic store. I figured, for a treat, I'd go in and pick up just an issue or two of my old friend SiP. Uh huh. Just one or two. I spent almost all the money I had on me and walked out of there with the story to that date (this was the week #34 came out). And from there it's history...

------------------
    CJ
    Homicidal Lesbian
    Terrorist

"Say...
    you know what I'd like
    to do right now?"
    "What?"
    "Dance."
    "But... there's no
    music."
    "Yes there is.
    Lissen"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

i was working in a comic shop in NJ and the first issue came in, my then-girlfriend bought it for me because she said it looked like us on the cover biggrin

and ive been hooked ever since. it just keeps getting better and better.

------------------
    "dark clouds may hang over me sometimes, but i'll work it out"-DMB

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sometime last fall I was in the city for a doctor visit and stopped in a comic shop to look for some Batman Gotham Adventures back issues for my son (those are the comics based on the animated TV series). I was looking for some things for me to read, too, and noticed they had several SiP TPBs on the rack. I'd heard of it before and decided to check it out, ended up buying the "It's A Good Life!" TPB, then stayed up half the night reading it straight through. Next time I was in the city, I went back to the comic shop and bought the "High School" TPB. Well, after that I decided I had to read them all, if only to figure out what the heck was going on - so I called the shop and had them order all of the remaining TPBs for me to pick up on my next trip, then started a pull-list with them so they would hold me a copy of each new issue as it comes out - unfortunately I can only get to the shop every other month or so to pick them up (along with my pulled copies of Planetary, 100 Bullets, and Sam and Twitch, plus whatever I happen to pick off the shelves).

Baird

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

I actually found my first SIP at a alternative bookshop who also sold comics. I was looking for a lesbian comic, and I found "Sanctuary"... I read it all the way home... Ok, it's not a lesbian lovestory as I first thought, but it's the best story I've ever read...so who cares!!! I've got every SIP in my bookshelv and hands it out to all my friends.
    Love anne

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I had a boyfriend who was WAY more into comics than I was (I generally read a couple indies and a few of the more mainstream comics).

Anyway, he was trying to "introduce" me to a variety of books he thought I'd like, and one of them was "SIP." To be honest, I didn't get hooked on the first issue I read
    (which was the end of the "Immortal Enemies" storyarc), but sometime after that, I decided to check out the "high school" storyarc when it was in the stores.

And that did it. I immediately picked up ALL the TPBs and I have been a loyal fan ever since.

The boyfriend is long, long gone - but my love of SIP remains!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast