Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

since the book collections encompass story lines (no monthly cliffhangers) AND feature art and other stuff i can't get anyplace else, why bother buying the loose issues?

i had the same question for "preacher."

anyone want to convince me one way or the other?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I buy issue and I buy the HC's. I buy the HC's because I like the format, and like having them on a shelf where I can just grab them, instead of filed into my collection. I buy the issues quite simply because I'm a comic fan and collector, and I'm going to be in the shop every week anyway, and I know there is no point in waiting. Sure, I spend a bit more, but I only do it with EXTREMELY good books, like SiP, Preacher, Powers, and I'll likely buy the Red Star TPB. I like to take part in the comics hobby at large, locally with friends and co-workers, and on-line in places like here. It would be impossible to do if I didn't keep up.
    The answer to the question is different for each individual. To me, the differece between buying the HC and the issues or just the HC's is less than the price of a cup of instant cappucino a week, so I buy them. All depends on how tight your money is, and, ultimately what your goal is.

Darth

------------------
    'If you could be God's worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?'
    -Tyler Durden

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

And for me money IS tight.
    But I will be attempting to gather the HC versions of the TPBs that I own (the first 3) as well as the TPBs that I will get to catch me up to issue 30.

BTW, thanks for the info DF!!

- Chris

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i buy the single issues, cuz they sometimes have stuff that the collections dont have. AND becuase they ALWAYS have ONE thing that they collections dont: letter colums. i love to see terry give us info straight in the book, and i also had a letter printed once. also, it allows me immerse myself more fully into the story, with the cliffhangers like terry writes them to be.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I buy single issues for the monthly following of the story, keep it going on a regular basis. I then buy the tpb to have an affordable collection of lots of story in one place. I can't possibly afford the more expensive HC; the softcover is easier that way. But I do miss out on the extras (which are prolly the least Terry can do for those who pony up all the dough for the story all over again) in the HC. Once the HC story is over, or at a certain point, it'd be nice to see the extras collected for those of us that can't buy EVERYTHING. Only prob is it might be unfair to those who pony up.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I always prefer sngle issues to tpb's. I'm just a big comic geek and I prefer to read them that way. I just started reading SiP, and I could have gotten the tpb's, but instead I wnet to my comic shop and e-bay, and picked up all the singles. I think it's a matter of of personal preferance.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

i do prefer the loose issues.
    i like the anticipation, going into the store, seeing them there, it's exciting.

however, i feel gypped that i don't get the "extras," even though they ARE extras. but i seriously can NOT afford to shell out the extra bucks, and i think it's wasteful to buy duplicates, a waste of paper and ink.

i just wondered what everyone preferred.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well there aren't too many 'extras', maybe 10-15 pages total through the 4 volumes to date, and none of it is a big deal. Really nothing germaine to the story, mostly stuff lying around in Terry's notebooks. Wouldn't motivate me to buy the hc's if I didn't already want them. Now if only DC would put Preacher in HC.......

Darth

------------------
    'If you could be God's worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?'
    -Tyler Durden

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

I buy the single issues because I'm a comic book collector. It is the format Terry writes these stories in. I look at the tpb's (which I have a bunch of) and HC's as a way of seeing the story I love in a nice, neat collection with some extras thrown in sometimes. I just like getting the story in it's original release. Those cliffhangers work really well when you read them that way. They lose some punch in the collections, imho.

------------------
    The original ninja lesbian milk getter.
    Provider of BranMilk (STP exclusive).
    The one called "brain" and "brandiflakes" and....
    I'm tired of the silent majority. Silence equals death.
    Life is what you make it.
    Become beautiful on the inside and it will show on the outside.
    "When I am in the presence of this person, I really like who I am."--definition of being in love, unknown philosopher.
    You're going to have to deal with my ego at some point.