Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Oz, I think maybe you are a bit hard on Terry there...(this coming from one of the people who very vocally did not like #33)

I mean, hey, if you didn't like it, that's cool, can't win'em all, but to call the issue filler is a little off the mark I think. To be honest, the 'Summer Fun' issues are more 'filler' than this one. The status quo of the story is definitely affected in #39, even tho it is affected by a supporting character...I think this definitley means we will see more of Freddie, and if I know Terry(which I don't, except for his work and his words) maybe even a little redemption?

Oz, I'm not telling you you have like it. If you didn't, you didn't, that's all well and good. Heck, I liked this issue better then #16, cause I like Calvin and Hobbes more than I do Xena! biggrin

Darth

------------------
    If you're really a Goth
    Where were you when we sacked Rome?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

Well, I didn't think it was a filler issue. While the focus on SIP is K/F/D, they are not the only major characters in the SIP world. We've had other issues where a lot of time is spent giving us the past/history on one character. I, for one, thought it was long overdue on Freddie (but, geez, Terry, don't make me like the guy). Just because K/F/D aren't in an issue, doesn't mean the story hasn't moved forward. We're seeing the other things that are happening with everyone else in the SIP world. Would we consider an issue focusing on Tambi a filler???? I guess it just depends on how you look at the SIP world.

I also thought the style was a beautiful tribute to some of the great cartoonists out there. Breathtaking and charming.

------------------
    The original ninja lesbian milk getter.
    Please click on that banner.
    The one called "brain" and "brandiflakes" and....
    I'm tired of the silent majority. Silence equals death.
    Life is what you make it.
    Become beautiful on the inside and it will show on the outside.
    "Treat everyone the same until you find out they're an idiot." -Lucy Lawless
    You're going to have to deal with my ego at some point.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, here's my two cents...

I loved this issue. LOVED it. Why? Because it really is an excellent example of what Terry does best, making little ink people actually come alive for us.

I've always thought Freddie was a run-of-the-mill jack@$$ with almost no redeeming qualities. Sure, he's shown hints of humanity once in a while, but not often. I didn't like the guy. Period. But after getting a chance to see not what but WHY his clock ticks the way it does, the little jerk has finally wormed his way into my heart...

If I had just skipped to the last two pages, I probably would have read them and thought something along the lines of, "That's what you GET you little schmuck!!!" but after reading this issue, I actually got a little glossy eyed. I can't believe I'm actually feeling sorry for FREDDIE, good grief! And THAT is why I think this issue rocks.

Sure, I missed the girls and David this issue (going three months without seeing some of your favorite people absolutely STINKS!) but to have a book with writing this touching was worth it.

Thank you Terry, I've got another issue to add to my list of favorites. I'm think Freddy would thank you too, if he only knew...

P.S. Anyone think 'Fran the teacher' was just too gorgeous for words??? eek

And 'Hobo Terry' was weird. WEIRD! (Dee dee dee...) Too cute for words though, although that last panel where he was picking up his drawings was heartbreaking. Really got to me for some reason...

(Anxiously awaiting number forty, the big 4-0! Oh no, SIP is over the hill!!! wink )

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

see darth, that is exactly my point. filler issue. i mean, we already get one summer fun issue per year. and when SiP only comes out every six weeks, i dont really like to have another one just kinda put in... i know that terry will make me eat my words (or at least i hope i do), just look at the last part of my post... but this issue, right now, until i see next issue and see if he works on any developments with this issue, i just didnt care for...

i agree with the calvin and hobbes part though. that was cool. i hope other people in here have seen the movie "harvey". they might not have gotten the joke if not...

KarmaPolice

I really liked this issue. I actually like it more than the last 4 or 5.. It may be a "filler" in that it sidetracks from the main story, but imo it goes back to what Terry does best -- character study.

I can't say that I *like* Freddy any more, but after this issue I am interested in seeing what happens to him. Like with Casey, Terry has managed to turn a plot device into a person. More character depth is a good thing, even for secondary characters. IMO, after our action/intrigue storylines of late, our three main characters could use a little more of that as well.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I enjoyed it. It's about time we had a chance to see a different side of Freddie. No one can be a jerk all of the time. I wouldn't call it a filler issue. Maybe a change of pace issue. After all of the emotional turmoil of the child of rage storyline it was kind of nice to enjoy an issue with a little more comedy in it. The cameo by Terry was hilarious. (If things ever get that bad for you Terry I can offer you a room. As long as you paint a giant Francine mural on one of the walls for me smile

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

maybe I'm being a grump, but why do I have a subscription if SIP hits the stands before it hits my mailbox? granted, the issues I've received are in beautiful condition, but still....eh. I'll let you know what I think of the issue once I get it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Of course, this issue could be important to the way the story's going to go next. We might see the relevence of focusing on Freddie like that. And in a way that really includes D/K/F. We'll see. I like a focus on one character once in a while. Sam Kieth did that well, especially after the initial 20-issue story arc. Adds depth. Of course, I'm prejudiced on this one since I love Freddie as a character(if not as a person), as well as Calvin, Peanuts, and.....WHO IS THIS PAIGE?... it looked like Archie comics style to me. BTW, I love the movie Harvey. Definately got that one. One more thing...there is a thing storytellers do sometimes where they take an unsympathetic character and give them a sense of depth that shows them as not so unrepetantly evil. Terry did that with Tambi.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pokey Girl:
    maybe I'm being a grump, but why do I have a subscription if SIP hits the stands before it hits my mailbox? granted, the issues I've received are in beautiful condition, but still....eh. I'll let you know what I think of the issue once I get it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe, I would suggest that the main reason for getting a subscription is that it guarantees you a copy wheras if you went to a comic store it may already have sold out. Certainly the case at my local store, dunno about anyone else

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

Ok, here's what I thought (weather you want to hear it or not :P). It made me laugh hard, the whole calvin and hobbes thing and Terry's unforgetable camio (which I had been eagerly awaiting to see ever since I read it on the message board a while back)were very funny. I also thought the whole comic parody thing was a cool way to get across what was going on in Freddie's head at the time. I admit I am getting a little anxious, wanting to see what's going to happen between F/K/D, but I feel that showing how Freddie was doing during this whole situation made the whole SIP world seem more real. It showed that the actions of the three main characters effected more than just them, but everyone else around them too, which not shown very much in comic books. So to sum it up, Terry Moore does it again! smile

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast