Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So what do you read in-between issues?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

On the contrary Anaka, I love anime and manga. I have been reading manga since Area 88, Kamui, and Mai the Psychic Girl came over in the mid 80's. There's Lone Wolf and Cub, Grey, Nausicca, Eagle, Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, and the list goes on and on.

Rumble Girls isn't manga, it's manga-influenced, and the blend just wasn't to my liking. The story felt like I had already read it, and the art has a bit to much a American cartoony look. For me, the $2.95 is better spent on the real thing.

'Pens in stead of Brushes?'
    Come now, petty insults are beneath us. I don't make fun of anyone for what they like (except people who read Rob Liefeld's books-them I mock openly... biggrin)
    You have always been so nice, so I will assume you didn't mean it. If you look at the works I have listed on this and other recent similar posts, you would see that it isn't true, anyway.

The beautiful things is that there is so much available, there is bound to be something you like. While there was a large range of tastes presented in this thread, none of the stuff mentioned is run of the mill Batman/X-Men stuff. Hope this helps you narrow your search pajkub!

Darth

------------------
    'Faith. What a dirty monosyllable. Jill, why didn't you mention that one when you were teaching me the short words that musn't be used in polite company?'
    -Valentine Michael Smith, aka the Man from Mars- Stranger in a Strange Land

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What other comics-type stuff do I read? Let's see...
    Promethea (right on, Darth!)
    Powerpuff Girls
    Catwoman (I *hate* the way she's drawn--spandex and silicone--but for the most part I like the character--though it's sucked recently and I'm thinking of dropping it)
    Love and Rockets (I only just started on this one, I can't believe it took me so long)
    I got the Zero Girl 5 issue arc, though I wasn't terribly impressed with the story.
    Xena (before Dark Horse dropped it--though it's just as well 'cause the art was getting a little too cheesecake-y for my taste.)

I easily get turned off by bodies-that-don't-occur-in-nature, especially female bodies, and I try to avoid that. That's one of the many reasons I love SiP, and follow Promethea and Love & Rockets. (I love Terry's article on drawing real women.)

Fabulous art isn't what draws me to a title; I'm more interested in character and relationships (and 'natural' bodies!)

I know I'm missing out on a world of cool stuff, but I'm easily sucked in and I have to watch my budget. Some of you might know about that budget thing..... :-)

Ramblingly yours,
    UMAW

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I did read The Maxx 'till it stopped =0(
    Jezebelle
    Mystic
    Meridian
    Midnight Nation
    Dollz
    Zandra
    I tried Darkchylde, but didn't like it.
    I read the first Vagabound but haven't been able to find any more of them... That's the problem with Image though, you find a title but then it just disappears, besides the billions of alternate covers for each issue.

[This message has been edited by AKgal12 (edited April 27, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

Comics-wise, I read X-men, Wolverine, Universe X, and Vampirella.

The biggest thing I read that compares to Terry's quality are books. Currently reading "The Well of Loneliness" (1926 lesbian novel), just finished "The Man In the High Castle" by Phillip Dick, and am starting on "The Color Purple" (had always wanted to read that).

------------------
    The original ninja lesbian milk getter.
    Please click on that banner.
    The one called "brain" and "brandiflakes" and....
    I'm tired of the silent majority. Silence equals death.
    Life is what you make it.
    "For there is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so."-Shakespeare, Hamlet
    ChatterBox

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well I usually read

Anything and Everything Batman
    Robin
    Young Justice
    Impulse
    Powers
    Rising Stars
    Ultimate Spider-Man
    Ultimate X-Men

and you know I can't do suggested reading without suggesting MY COMIC, Touched, which is a free read online at www.avcomics.com

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey there all!! I just started reading SIP, but, thanks to my EX, I've been reading comics for a few years. Other books I enjoy are: Lenore
    GloomCookie
    Squee
    FillerBunny and
    I feel Sick.
    I am going to pick up Willow and Tara tommorrow, weh I get my new SIP. <Dancing happily around the room>> I hope I enjoy it. Happy reading!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I used to read all X-men related comics which is how I got into the genre in the first place.
    Right now I'm working my way through the Kubuki series. I love David Mack's work.
    SiP, though mainly.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darth Fett:
    OOOOO, I like Universe X too Bran, right on! Love all those varied histories of the Marvel Universe all tied up in a nice neat package. What is your opinion on Paradise X, the sequel to the sequel?

Hey, if you havent already, when you finish the color Purple, try Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein. I just finished it(in unabridged audio book form-16 hours but worth every second of it....) Really great book. Don't know why it took me so long to just break down and read(listen to smile) it....
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, I can't remember if I've read that one or not. I do know I've read The Stranger, by Albert Camus (spelling?). Fascinating book. I've got a slew of books to read. After "Well of Loneliness", comes the new Stephen King book (this is th estuff I read at home). After The Color Purple, I'm not sure what I'll pick up (stuff I read at work). I also need to read all my gf's briefs and writings. I'll definitely check to see if I've read Stranger in a Strange land, though. Thanks. smile

And, I haven't picked up Paradise X yet, but I will when I go to the comic store tomorrow.

------------------
    The original ninja lesbian milk getter.
    Please click on that banner.
    The one called "brain" and "brandiflakes" and....
    I'm tired of the silent majority. Silence equals death.
    Life is what you make it.
    "For there is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so."-Shakespeare, Hamlet
    ChatterBox

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

(originally posted by Darth Fett) "'Pens in stead of Brushes?'
    Come now, petty insults are beneath us. "

I wasn't insulting pens or people who use them. I myself use pens in my comics(Micron pens by Sakura, waterproof, lightfast ink and sizes between .05 to .005!! Ooohhhhh )
    I was just saying that the look and style of brushwork vs. penwork is very different and some people prefer one over the other. I personally like both, but unfortunately don't have the time for brushwork. I do love it, it is very powerful and the subtlety of line thickness and flow are incredible. But so also is precise and crisp lines of pen, and the tiny detials you can render that a brush can't. I wasn't ragging on you, I was just suposing you liked pen since you didn't like Hernandez's very brushy style. But you seem to be holding her natinality against her. And I didn't know you liked Manga because you didn't list any in your fist posting. I was simply saying people like different things... and as you scan the lists of people's other reads, you can see that even people who like the same thing also like different things.

"Viva la differance!"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ahhh, y'see Anaka, I thought you were being metaphorical.....sorry, my bad(but I was right to assume you didn't mean it, neh? smile)

I like some of the hybrid manga stuff(Ramos and Joe Mad do a good job with it most of the time and the Dreamwave people do too(and they're CANADIAN! smile) just not all of it, and I'm sure you feel the same way.
    Yes, we all like different things, I'm just glad we do all like such a wide variety, cause that is what's going to keep this industry and this medium strong.
    Yep, you got it right Anaka, viva la differance!

Darth

------------------
    'Faith. What a dirty monosyllable. Jill, why didn't you mention that one when you were teaching me the short words that musn't be used in polite company?'
    -Valentine Michael Smith, aka the Man from Mars- Stranger in a Strange Land

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast