Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

I find that when the blues hit me in a hard way, my absolutely favorite things to do if I have the day to myself: Sleep in til at least 10 am. Fill up the bathtub with bubbles, of course it takes forever for the tub to fill, so grab some hot cider, put some old jazz (count basie, etta james, etc) in the cd player (yes, such a music freak I actually have a cd player in the d@mn bathroom), grab a SIP tpb and soak in the tub til either the water gets cool or I can't take shriveled skin. Unfortunately, this causes two problems. One, i pretend to have the blues at least two sundays of the month and two, accidentally water damaging the tbp and having to replace it!! I think I would be a little more embarrassed about it except my local comic shop is truly chick-run!! Anyone else have more ways to use SIP as anti-blues medication? Just trying to generate some conversation.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy

I just fell down the rabbit hole that is SIP (bought graphic novels 1, and 4-10 in the past week in addition to the ones I already had), and though I love the series dearly (dare I say obsessively?), I spent most of the time reading them crying, for one reason or another. (Though I do appreciate the glimpses into a happier future.)

Other graphic novels not to read when you're depressed include "The Crow" (the original) by J. O'Barr and Neil Gaiman's "Kindly Ones."

What to do to get out of deep dank depression? Hang out with friends. If you have no friends (I feel your pain) or they're not available, go see a movie. One with a happy ending, if possible, but sappy romances are definitely out. If you're broke and can't see a movie or do anything requiring having two nickles to rub together, do anything but just sit there, staring at the ceiling. Make a collage. Take a walk to the park and collect leaves. Make cookies or rice krispie bars. Clean your room/apartment/basement. Draw. Paint. Play music. (Poorly, if you don't know how. You're allowed.) Anything to stay active and get your mind focused on something else.

Of course, if you're exhausted and depressed, sleep works wonders, and your outlook on things is always more positive after getting some sleep, no matter how cliche that sounds. It's true.

That's my two bits for the moment. Anyone else not able to stop crying while reading SIP? It's made my whole week awfully blue...

- glory

------------------
    Golden gun for the chosen one

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, to be totally honest, if I am feeling down, I avoid my stack of SiP like the plague.

For me, it's not the kind of thing that can pick me up. I never found the story to be uplifting, just a damn good story.

When I am blue, a nice dose of schadenfreud from something like Preacher or Punisher is just the thing.

Darth

------------------
    'There can be sex without love, love without sex, and situations so intermixed that nobody can sort out which is which.'
    -Lazarus Long, 'Time Enough for Love'-Robert Heinlein

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wait, you mean there's a way to fight it?

------------------
    Most friendships, if they end at all, end not by earthquake, but by erosion- Box Office Poison

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

PIZZA!!!

Maybe not the healthiest way to fight depression, but it never fails to put a smile on my face. smile

------------------
    something witty.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thou hast hit upon it!! We need all of SIP so far, big oversize comfy SIP T-shirts, comfy jammie pants, lots of pizza, oreos, and milk, and have one big, overnight, SIP Fan Jamboree!!! Everyone bring their pillows and blankets!! Oh! and an art desk wtih lots of paper and pens and ink, 'cause naturally, we'll invite Terry and his family, and we will make the poor guy draw and tell funny stories about katchoo, francine, and david til the wee hours of the morning!! and then we will kindly unchain him and let him go...hehehhe just kidding. we would NEVER do that to Terry.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What a great idea, nicewitch! I'll bake a cake!

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

frosti--great idea!! with some creative artistry, we could even make the cake resemble katchoo or francine or david--oh, wait--with the guest list as large as it may get, we should probably make one of each. Francine i think would be white cake, david should be chocolate, katchoo would have to be something kind of exotic, casey cake would have to be some kind of strawberry swirl, freddi cake would be something with coconut, tambi i think would be a red velvet cake. hmmmm....the characters are suddenly becoming flavors...or maybe just because i'm hungy.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nicewitch:
    casey cake would have to be some kind of strawberry swirl<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheesecake?

heehee

Darth

------------------
    'If a man is willing to die, he can be killed'
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged