Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darth Fett:

To all of you David fans who think it's sweet and romantic the way he chases Kat around, exactly how long would you really put up with somebody who did that, if you felt the same way about him that Kat does?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And how does Katina really feel about him? What does she say to him in the I.C.U.?
    "Anataka suki desu. Yousaka Takahashi. Itsumo. Itsumademo."

------------------
    Peregrinator in paradiso.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is the difference of reading a comic book in single issues,as opposed to TPB.

#43 #44 when seen together really do work.

I have been waiting for that hard talk in the meeting between,David and Katchoo,it`s been comming for a long time now.I think that is the truth of this book that in a love triangle there is always one loser.

The last panel of the book with Francine`s I`m a women tirade,bodes a good sign for the relationship that she really needs namely Katchoo.

I wait now for #45...... imu2 ..look still waiting... imu2

------------------
    It's simple tips like these
    That keep you safe from injuries
    The surgeon general should do his part:
    Warning, beware, be careful - Fragile Heart

Words By Jewel(EDA)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fallingstarre:

In version I Francine certainly got many of the details of Katchoo's future house right, down to housekeeper (or is none of that real either)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also in Version 1 they discuss Katchoo's visit to David in the hospital, of which Katchoo had no opportunity to tell Francine (except in the car ride back to Tennessee, and it didn't look as if anyone was in a mood to talk then), and of which David would be unlikely to tell her. It is unlikely that at the time she was in the bathroom Francine would know what had been whispered in the hospital. She would probably learn of it in the future.
    The more I think about this, the less certain I am that what I have been calling the Real Future (issues #17, #18, & #19) is really true. Maybe Francine is psychic. She saw Lilian (twice), and Katchoo's doppelganger. But I confess, I'm not sure anymore about what will happen.

------------------
    Peregrinator in paradiso.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I cringed when I realized what Terry was doing. "How dare he pull a Bobby-Ewing-in-the-shower on us!"

Of course, Terry pulled it out in the end and made #44 a great read. But I am a fanboy at heart and I hate to see continuity (I hate that word) suffer. He runs the risk of making the comic inaccessible for new readers. It already is hard to keep track of all the back history.

Los. Bros. Hernandez have been able to keep me interested the the Maggie and Hoppy and Luba, et al for years now. They haven't been afraid to stop and refresh for a while. Their stories jump from local to local and from character to character, yet it all ties together.

But even more than Love and Rockets, Strangers in Paradise reminds me of Omaha The Cat Dancer. I heard that late, lamented series described as a "rough road" soap opera and the same label applies to Strangers.

(Strange isn't it, that all three series feature lesbian protagonists. Hmmm ... )

------------------

Jenjen

i totally relate to darth's post. it has been four years since we've had a glimpse of the 10 years in the future and we still don't know what the big fight is, although we've had numerous teasers.

what about david's headaches, etc. caused by the accident?

how does katchoo go from issue #44 to being married to david and having it be the "happiest years of my life"?

and how do we go from tambi wanting to kill katchoo for god knows how many years and now they're sisters who visit each other on holidays?

and as for francine's decision- i really don't care who she chooses. i've seen it all too many times before.

------------------
    "it's the first time i stayed up all night/
    it's getting late, i hear the birds/
    i'm driving home through empty streets/
    i think i put my shirt on backwards..."
    -dar williams

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thrasymachos:
    And how does Katina really feel about him? What does she say to him in the I.C.U.?
    "Anataka suki desu. Yousaka Takahashi. Itsumo. Itsumademo."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, you mean when David was on his death bed, Kat was shaken up after the plane crash and was forced to break away from Francine?
    Oh, yes, the truest reflection of her deepest feelings I'm sure.

Besides, Haven't you ever told someone you love them and realized you were wrong? You are either very lucky or very sheltered if you haven't.
    People like to go back and quote that line in the hospital or the 'Why can't I have both' comment. Using these as 'evidencee' of how Kat feels now here in issue #44 is silly, because it supposes nothing has changed since, which of course is silly.

Darth

Cultural note-'suki desu' means 'I like you/it'. I can mean 'I love you/it' depending on context, but is more tentative than than the unmistakable 'daisuki desu'. 'Suki desu' is more of a feeling-out-the-situation phrase, whereas 'daisuki desu' is a shout-it-from-the-mountains sort of phrase...

------------------
    'If a man is willing to die, he can be killed'
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Jenjen,

Are you out there? Can you hear this? Jimmy Olsen, Johnny Memphis.

I was out there listening, all the time.

I agree.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Everybody,
    *Hugs and cookies* to all.

Okay, I know I've been absent for a looong time, but I have to comment on 43-44.

In a way I am lucky, because I've only been reading single issues since v.3 no.36 so I don't see these issues as a long wait--though after I finally realized that the comic started in 1993/4 I can sympathize with the fans who cry "get on with it."

Anyhoo, about 43-44... I was definitely shocked by 43 and for a split second I despaired..then I ran into the "its a vision/dream: theory and latched on in hope--I'm glad the "its a vision" people were right.

I liked the fact that Francine imagined all the particulars to reach her conclusion. Francine (or any human) making an incredibly hard decision this way makes sense (aka I do this ))

As for which she chooses I hazard a guess that she chooses Katchoo. Her Vision of the "Katchoo future" had no loose ends or 'what if's' about Brad in it--she even tried (through Ashley and the High School panel) to start all over with only Katchoo. Her "Brad Future" on the other hand has her crying and desperate for Kat--her Peter Pan and the ultimate what if--she is haunted by Kat even when she's been 'happy' with Brad for 20/30 years. This haunted-happiness leads me to conclude that Francine must be with Katchoo in someway, or part of her will 'die' as we saw in the v. 2 flash-forwards.

As for the nature of the issues being split up. I am glad they were. My friend Tyledras always talks about the NEED for the next issue and issue 43 was the first time I truly felt SiP desperation. I only feel more desperate now for #45.

Sorry for rambling so long, and thanks for reading.

Peace,
    mara

PS Terry, pleeeaaase answer my Faulkner question. Are Francine's Uncle Maury and Benjamin and allusion to "The Sound and the Fury"?

------------------
    P.S. Smile Jesus (a.k.a. God a Higher Benevolent Being) Loves You!

Converted by Telydras

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi again,

I forgot. I have a few comments about David.

There have been many moments where David has at least been given real hope that Kat loves him. Aside from her declaration of love in the hospital, Kat also has many cosy and deep honest loving moments with him.
    1) confession of her s-dads rape
    2)secrets- sharing on the beach in #33
    3)her kissing him on more than one ocasion
    4)When Francie asks "What are you doing with him?" Kat answers "What I should be doing with you" While this definitely points to her preference for Francie--It also* indicates that she is romantically toying with David. Unless, she only said this to make Fran jealous and never touched D-boy, but Kat usually means what she says and often means what she does.
    5)There is also the moment a few issues ago when Kat drags D-boy into the bedroom to do what? and Casey interrupts them with her strip-tease.

... and the list goes on... but I'd have to go through issues one page at a time to find them all.

I disagree with the people who claim that Katchoo has been totally up front with David about only liking women. Her behavior says otherwise. To those who say David should know anyway--While I agree that to we lucky readers who get to see almost everything, it is obvious that Kat has and *probably will always love Francine--she has also shown a spark for David.

He is not naive, hopeless or foolish...He loves her beyond his own life and he wants to 'rescue' her. That is why he stays.

I am not either a David fanatic or a David hater...all I can say is that he has been an incredible friend and support for both Fran and Kat and I don't think he is stupid or unnecessary to the story.

As for Francie--part of her loves Katchoo in all ways, but she has been straight for a long time. And though 'switching teams' may seem common its not always easy. I have fallen in love with both a woman (in my teens) and with a man (in my 20s) and love is very* complicated thing. It took me a long time (about 6 yrs) and many 'visions of the future' to figure out that I am more attracted to men than women...so Francie (and SiP) taking 6 yrs to decide and David hoping that Kat may change *both make sense.

thats my two bits...thanks for reading.

Peace,
    Mara

------------------
    P.S. Smile Jesus (a.k.a. God a Higher Benevolent Being) Loves You!

Converted by Telydras

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darth Fett:
    But if he can't see that she's using him as a crutch/back up for the fact that the love of her life is Francine well too bad.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So why is it acceptable when Katchoo does it to David, but not acceptable when Freddie did it to Casey? Because you just described the Freddie/Casey marriage perfectly (at least insofar as that if Freddie is capable of anybody being the love of his life, it's Francine.)

------------------

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast