0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

Both.

I started buying the single issues.

And then I started buying the trades and giving away the single issues to non-comic fans (I still believe the person who has my signed first prints of the Antartic run has no idea what some people would pay for those).

And then I started buying the hardcovers.

Right now, I stopped buying the trades. I buy the single issues, and then get the hard covers and then give away the single issues to non-comic fans.

It is a tough world. Spreading around SiP makes it better.

smile

-RT

------------------
    http://www.stickleyandjones.com - The Daily Online comic that is funnier than 'Mark Trail' and 'Steve Canyon' combined!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ACK! Give away my single issues? Never! I dunno... I like having all the sigles for a series that I'm interested in. Sometimes I buy the special issues (Image has a bad habit of printing multiple covers for the same issue) but it can get ridiculous. Trades are better for going back and rereading the series simply because its a b*tch to open all the bags of singles. And I don't really have the $$ to spend on Trades. I guess it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing I have all the singles to SiP. Plus it was fun trying to find all the missing issues of SiP (I now have a complete SiP library although some gold logos need their first print mates). Trades will come later when the series ends, which I hope is not soon.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Okay - deinitive answer.

ISSUE BY ISSUE.

WHY?

Beacause as a newbie fan of SIP - I bought eight TRADES AT ONCE - I find I cannot wait the three-four months between TPB'S. Partially, because I come to this board daily while working and I HATE BEING OUTTA THE LOOP!
    I even buy those (sorry TERRY) those pretty boring PARADISE TOO issues even though they are full of 'political cartoons' and stream of conciousness doodles I buy to keep TERRY in hock to make more SIP! I do read them TERRY, I do. BUT IT AIN'T TO YOUR LEVEL!

I KNOW you want to be a Cartoonist! BIG 'C' Like SCOTT ADAMS. I know you want to be the next Charles Shultz.

But for a moment Terry, stop a minute and see how much more you already ARE! REST HIS SOUL - but C.S. ain't YOU!

You Terry, make one of the VERY BEST TOTALLY Independent comic books in the world right now. WOMEN like me - snap up your comics like mad. YOU SHOW ME A DEMOGRAPHIC THAT DC, IMAGE OR MARVEL HAS ON THAT!

I didn't think so.

Terry, you are the best at what you do. I don't know if it is the DEVIL, GOD, or ROBYN MOORE (sorry ROBYN for placing you in there, but I was trying to make a point) that makes you SO good at making women as - WOMEN - whatever it is. It is a gift that NO SUNDAY cartoonist before or ever ever will have.

------------------
    You grew up in that house by the power lines, didn't you Tina?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GaMookie:
    And then I started buying the trades and giving away the single issues to non-comic fans (I still believe the person who has my signed first prints of the Antartic run has no idea what some people would pay for those).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    eek
    You do WHAT?

Not to sound like a spaz comic geek, but I never lend out comics worth more than cover price, because I don't what my friend to feel bad if they destroy them, and put them in a jam to replace them(which all of my friends would do...).
    I never let signed books outta my sight, 'cause they are usually irrepacable.
    For instance, I have a Punisher #1 signed by Garth Ennis, Steve Dillion, Tim Bradstreet, Jimmy Palmiotti, and Joe Quesada with sketches on the cover by Dillon and Palmiotti. Absolutly irreplacable(especailly cause Dillon rarely hops the pond), and if one of my friends ruined it, I'd be torn between understanding that my friend is only human and wanting to kick his @$$.
    I'd have to settle for some serious guilt payments, but who really wants to do that to a good friend, huh?

Anyhoo, I usually only lend people the 1st 2 trades, v1 and I Dream of You. If they want more I make'em buy their own...hey, Terry's gotta eat, doesn't he?

Darth

------------------
    'We both know what memories can bring,
    They bring diamonds and rust'
    -Judas Priest, Diamonds and Rust

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Being single, child-free, living rent-controlled, lucky to have a decent paying job... I buy at least 2 issues of SIP. One is MINE. The other gets passed around to whoever needs it. I buy the trades for my new converts. Sometimes I'll leave an issue on a train just for someone else to have a fateful encounter with the Girls. I gave a young girl I saw on a bus looking bored an issue of SIP I just read (I think it was Vol. 2 issue 1 - the color one) and maybe, just maybe gave her a few moments of pleasure.

I see as similar to leaving a big tip because the service is good. I show my appreciation with my wallet. When I'm back in debt and in need of a comic, I know dozens of people who will come through for me. Random Acts of Kindness repay themselves tenfold...

------------------
    Josh
    from Brooklyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sweet Christmas!!!
    I was at the San Diego Comic Con earlier this year, and I've always had a interest in SiP, but never picked it up, I just read Wizard's little summery (when they did it) but that all changed! When I met the lovely Robin Moore! She convinced me to buy the box set (1 - 3) which wasn't too hard because Terry was right next to her. So he signed my box set, and then She was talking to this other guy and pulled out all the TPB's to that point (#9) and so I bought those up. I buy all the TPB's and hopefully I can pick up the singles sometime in the future. But I do go crazy waitin' for the next TPB. I make do re-re-readin' the trades that I do have.

That's my story

------------------
    I got Volume 10 of SiP, when's the next one?
    I can't wait!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

For me, each has their own pros and cons. I started out only getting the TPBs (as I do with Rising Stars, Authority, all of Alan Moore's stuff, and Preacher before). However once, I went to the store because I thought the new trade (Sanctuary) was out, but discovered it wasn't due for another 2 weeks. I was so disappointed and my SiP craving so strong I bought all the back issues the store had! And I started getting it issue by issue since then. I still buy TPBs for my friends, though to convert them. :-)

TPBs, when it was the format in which I first read the earlier stories, helped me understand the overall story better. All the little details that connected between issues came together easily. Now, I sometimes forget certain points between issues because six weeks is a bit long and I read dozens of other comics too.

But what I love about single issues is exactly what some of you don't: the cliffhangers. When reading the trades, I never felt any suspense when Katchoo was shot or when Tambi dropped her from a balcony or when Katchoo was yelling to Fran over the phone that David was one of Darcy's people. Heck, I hardly knew the divisions between issues in the TPBs. And the fact that there were more pages kinda made me feel "Nah, something will happen to change this."

But when I started with the single issues, the cliffhangeres were amazingly effective! I was much more emotionally involved! When I thought David died in the plane crash, I was actually depressed for days! And of course, who can forget the last three issues? Also, when the story is left hanging, there is a lot to discuss and speculate about here online which makes it more fun. Terry knows how to make the most of the serial nature of comics.

So I think whether you collect in trades or single issues, there are definitely ways that SiP will shine as a fantastic story.

ntu-150

------------------
    Learn the secret to financial independence at
    http://www.theultimatenetmatrix.com/about.html

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i'm lucky enough to have the book bestowed upon me, so i'll take what i can get. i love the trades myself... but that's just my preference. it's how i read Akira, Alan Moore stuff, etc. the single issues really grip me and pick me up... then i'm left to try and sneak peeks at Terry's desk until the next issue is released. ::sigh::

------------------
    The official honorary son of Terry Moore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12