I am a Director of Photography in the Tampa Bay region with film over 40 years of documentary film and TV experience and would like to hear more about others in this field.

The "difficult" part would fall mostly under "producers I have known." The "dangerous" part is more fun, albeit in hindsight.

On assignment for Granada-TV's swashbuckling "World in Action" series in the late 1960s, I found myself headed for the backward hills of Kentucky. Producer, soundman and myself flew commercial to Louisville, then hired the pilot of a small twin-engine plane to fly us into Pikeville airport.

Upon landing, the pilot zipped right past the terminal area and continued to taxi at a fair clip all the way to the far end of the runway. Then, with his engines still running at a very fast idle, he insisted we get out right then and there. "Lissen. Last week, one of you East-coast film directors came out here, trespassed on a farmer's field, and got shot dead on the spot. If anyone sees me deliver the likes of you longhairs they might shoot me, too!" The poor guy was shaking with fear. So we grabbed our gear and hoofed it back to the terminal, while the pilot spun his plane around on a dime, firewalled his throttles and took off like a shot -- downwind! -- which is dangerous, not exactly legal, and something you do only if the Devil himself is on your tail.

Greetings,

Coleen Friedman