Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

I think there have been advances in rechargeable technology. I'm real close to purchasing 2300 milliamp nicads (they have a new name now, NIMH, nickle metalhydride???), and they are either 1.2 or 1.25 volts.

There are also alkaline rechargeables as well that claim to last 10 TIMES LONGER than regular alkalines???

I think the NIMH's can be recharged a thousand times and the alkalines can be recharged a hundred times.

Anyone have an experience with either rechargeable?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Well, 14 and 1/2 months later and I've purchased some rechargeable Energizer batteries rated at 2500 milliamps.

First test for me was comparing them to alkaline batteries.

I put the freshly charged NiMH's (not in my hood???) batteries in my super-8 camera. The six pack of freshly charged rechargeables metered 8.13 volts with no load. I tried the slow motion function on my Super-8 camera and it roared to life and was most definitely running at 45 frames per second.

I also tried fresh but used 6 alkaline batteries that metered 8.71 volts with no load. Although the slow motion function worked, in no way did it roar in the same manner as when using the rechargeables. This means the super-8 camera was running at a slow motion speed of less than the standard 45 FPS. If I were to guess probably the alkalines were running the slow motion function at between 36-40 FPS.

Six new alkalines with no current load on them would probably meter at around 9.5 volts. But by the time they have fallen to 9.0 volts, aka 1.5 volts per battery, the alkalines are dangerously close to no longer performing as well as a freshly charged rechargeable NiMH battery.

Other areas I will be exploring is how well the rechargeables do when I am shooting time-lapse.

2500 millamphour rated NiMH is a newer technology in 1.5 rechargeable batteries and it may be wise to consider them in our aging Super-8 cameras that perhaps require a more stable and powerful current than we realize.

What I don't know is does a 2500 milliamphour rated NiMH actually deliver more current than the previous generations of NiMH's that may have been rated at 2000 milliamphours.