Thread: "Decoy For Terror" is a Finalist at the Rutgers Film Festival...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

A funny thing happened during our Action Film Club Reunion Last Fall. We showed our films that we had shot while Film Students. I was surprised and pleased at how Decoy For Terror was received.

So I decided to entere it in the Rutgers Film Festival and am once Again Surprised and Pleased to see it has made Finalist.

Here is a link to the Film Festival along with a description of the film. 2006 UNITED STATES SUPER 8mm FILM & DIGITAL VIDEO FESTIVAL

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Alex:
    So I decided to enter it in the Rutgers Film Festival and am once Again Surprised and Pleased to see it has made Finalist.
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">Congratulations Alex! Sounds interesting.

Pays to dig out those old films every once and awhile, I guess.

Well good luck!

Tim

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

So do you think I try and promote the fact that a super-8 film made in 1984, edited with a film splicer and a sound on sound projector, complete with sound dropouts over some of the splices, 22 years later is a finalist over 150 other entries??? In total there were 170 entries, 19 were finalists.

I mean is this something to promote about or to hide in the corner until the event has passed??? [img]eek.gif[/img]

<font color="#FFFF00" size="1">[ February 08, 2006 03:42 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

So do you think I try and promote the fact that a super-8 film made in 1984, edited with a film splicer and a sound on sound projector, complete with sound dropouts over some of the splices, 22 years later is a finalist over 150 other entries??? In total there were 170 entries, 19 were finalists.

I mean is this something to promote or to hide in the corner until the event has passed??? [img]eek.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I mean is this something to promote or to hide in the corner until the event has passed?
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">Its awesome! Definitely promote it. I mean, the film must have something interesting going on for it to be picked for the final screening. Just sit back, go with it, and enjoy th ride. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Tim

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Thanks for the encouragment!

I found an article about the festival...

Rutgers Film Fest Article

It's time for the Super 8 festival at Rutgers
    Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 02/16/06
    BY ELEANOR O'SULLIVAN
    MOVIE WRITER

It's here again, virtually all by itself: The 2006 U.S. Super 8 Film & Digital Video Festival at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, is running Friday through Sunday on campus.

In its 18th year, the festival is "the largest and longest running juried Super 8mm film and digital video festival in North America," said Al Nigrin, executive director, curator and founder of the university's Film Co-op, and of this festival. "The festival encourages any genre (animation, documentary, personal, narrative, experimental, etc.) made on Super 8 film . . . or digital video."

A panel of 19 judges has whittled 170 submitted works down to the 18 finalists, and the winning entries will be announced Sunday.

Among the finalists are John W. McKelvey of Metuchen's "Lunch Break," about a working mother dealing with out-of-town bosses and a documentary crew at her supermarket job; Jeff M. Giordano, Williamstown, for "Among Garbage & Flowers," a film about humans and the trash cycle; Stephen Dovidas of Piscataway's "Relations," a 12-minute work on an unnatural love affair; and Thomas Micchelli of Chatham's "In Brief," a six-minute short on a man's need for change.

Also, "Floccinoucinhilipilification," Jon Dugan of New Brunswick's surrealist dinner party drama; Bruce James and Karl Voskuil of Philadelphia's "Copernicus," about the intersection among strangers; and "The Legend of Black Tom," from Deron Albright of Narberth, Pa., about the 1810 boxing match between a former slave and a British fighter.

Prizes worth $4,000 will be distributed at the festival, and an Audience Choice award will be presented Sunday after the screenings.

Aside from its initial presentation at Rutgers, the Super 8 festival's award winning entries have been shown on tour for the past 12 years; they have been shown in New York, Utah, Brussels, Oregon, Seattle, Boston and West Virginia.

The Super 8 festival is part of Rutgers' New Jersey Film Festival Spring 2006, running through April 23. But Nigrin is the man who never sleeps much, so a call for entries is now out for the 2006 New Jersey International Film Festival, running June and July at Rutgers.

As for the Super 8 festival this weekend, tickets are $8, $7 and $6. Film showings are at 7 p.m. each day at Scott Hall No. 123, 43 College Ave., New Brunswick. More information is available from (732) 932-8482, or www.njfilmfest.com.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Congrats Alex!!

I don't know how to make a new post on this forum, so I'll post this as a reply.... Keep your eyes peeled for STUNTMAN at the festival too...

Stuntman was selected as one of 19 films out of over 170 for the festival. If you're in New Jersey, check it out, you'll have a laugh. Shot on about 50 rolls of k40 and 7 rolls of black and white. (most of the film was shot 36fps, so it ate up a lot of frames).

http://www.njfilmfest.com/

sample clips of stuntman
    www.justinlovell.com > stuntman

The 18th annual United States Super 8mm Film + Digital Video Festivalsm will be held on February 17-19, 2006 at Scott Hall #123 (beginning each evening at 7 PM) on the College Avenue Campus of Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey. The Festival will include a different program each evening.

btw, we just got 1st place at the Grand Marnier multimediashowcase last weekend! www.multimediashowcase.ca

cheers!

A funny thing happened during our Action Film Club Reunion Last Fall. We showed our films that we had shot while Film Students. I was surprised and pleased at how Decoy For Terror was received.

So I decided to entere it in the Rutgers Film Festival and am once Again Surprised and Pleased to see it has made Finalist.

Here is a link to the Film Festival along with a description of the film. 2006 UNITED STATES SUPER 8mm FILM & DIGITAL VIDEO FESTIVAL
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, I'm really impressed that you shot most of your film in slow-motion. Kodak must love you.

Kind makes me wish someone would put on an annual Slow motion film festival.

Justin also was a finalist/winner in the first annual schmalfilm film festival. You've officially created a juggernaut of momentum for your film.

How do you choose which film festivals to enter?