Spectra Film and Video has limited supplies available of Kodak Ektachrome 100D.

I was able to shoot two cartridges of it for the film Dali,Dali,Dali. I like the stock. It definitely has less grain than 64T. In the mid day sun the Ektachrome 100D stock is slightly too sensitive for my liking.

I shot one cartridge on a boat. We had no lighting and I shot with the sun in the background, also known as backlighting. I exposed for the faces and the dark clothing, which I feel came out perfect.

However, the colorist at Spectra felt the film could have been underexposed a half stop more. However, that would have put my f-stop very close to F-16, which I don't like doing since the amount of light coming into the camera is so small the chance for inaccuracy in my opinion is higher.

Everything else was fine except for the water. The water on the left side of the frame was a spectacular blue, but on the right side of the boat, it turned a light green. Apparently exposing for the black clothing and hair in a backlit situation created just enough overexposure in other parts of the shot to cause the color of the water to not be as consistent as I remember it.

I can't show any frames from the film because it's not my movie. When it's done perhaps I can, but that might still two or three months down the road.

Would I have shot that scene any differently knowing what I now know? Perhaps I would have snaked the exposure down that 1/2 stop.

I just wanted to make sure that the blacks don't get so black that they have no detail in them, and on that level I succeeded, however at the price that the water did not stay a consistent blue.