Thread: Super 8 film in the fridge, is it necessary?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would agree with that sentiment. Probably no need to refrigerate when you first buy it. If you get to within 3 months of the expiration date, you may want to refrigerate it just in case you end up holding on to the film for another year or three before using it.

We had a previous discussion that Kodachrome 40 may "ripen" from when you first buy it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Uh-oh...I shot some footage in February, and I've been waiting to use up the last half of my film...expired in April...the shot I want to use will happen next month...I'm hoping I didn't wait too long! What about exposed film left in the camera such as what I have?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I have a confession to make.

I have film I shot over 4 years ago that I have not developed yet. [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]

Mikey B, you just made me realize that I dumbest thing I could do is to "batch develop" film of differing years. I should keep the all film that is about the same age together, and have each age range developed as one batch.

That way I can learn and share with others the ill effects of waiting to develop film, and I'll learn where the biggest drop off was.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool idea! What i'm saving my 25 leftover feet for is a long to medium shot of people walking...it's for the martial arts video I mentioned before...They want it shot on video, I'm also gonna (at my expense) shoot it on film, and get it transferred so they can see the superiority of the mighty super 8...I've dropped the idea of using the black and white film...it would have been at my expense, and with my aforementioned soap opera life going on, I'm so strapped for cash...but I already have the super 8 Kodachrome in the camera!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you are going to shoot the film within the expiration date wouldn't it be okay to not even put it in the fridge.

Corey

Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I almost learned an expensive lesson the other day. I had 5 rolls of K-40 in the little fridge out back (overflow from a big batch I bought last month) We've been having a damp past 6 months and there has been a lot of condensation inside this refrigerator.

Long story short is all of the boxes were damp and one was actually moldy. I stripped the boxes off and the mailers were damp to wet, but they dried out fine. The film of course was still in the pouch and untouched.

I guess the lesson is to put the film in plastic bags before putting in the refrigerator.