Thread: Are these lights that my photo teacher gave me any good???

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was talking to my photo teacher today about movie lighting and was trying to have her explain why different lights ie. indoor vs. sun bring out different colors. She was looking through her extremely messy cabinets and pulled out two cruddy looking boxes labeled Super Eight. She told me that she got them at someone's garage sale and would give them to me if i'd like them. I jumped at the chance because I don't have any means of lighting aside from some cheap flashlights [img]rolleyes.gif[/img] .

Does anyone know about these lights....any good? Did I score a rare deal? Are they better than my flashlights?

I believe they are Kenco Super Eight Movie Lights model 875 D. 650W, 120V, 5-6 Amps, AC 60 cycles. DWA Lamp. They are both about 6 inches in diameter and 4 inches deep.

This might not work but here is a picture.

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictur...c9486c2.jpg&ca ption=feb26%20001

or...

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/auburn_california/vwp?.dir=/Work&.dnm=New+L ights.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 26, 2003 06:25 PM: Message edited by: 4score ]</font>

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 26, 2003 06:29 PM: Message edited by: 4score ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi,
    The lamps are fine for super 8. They are extremely bright, and though they have a mounting braket for your camera, I don't reccomend using them in that fashion. (You wind up with that "deer in the headlights" look.)

Try bouncing them off of a white card or white ceiling, or shooting them through a diffusion material. But DO NOT touch the lights with any type of material, it will scorch and burn.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the tips. Yea....I think I will bounce if or through a stretched sheet in front of it. An yes....they are VERY hot and VERY bright.

Chris

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really
    Like the box. I love the box!!!!! [img]cool.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

if you like the box, you'd love my garage!! I have similar lights I got at a garage sale...plus my old Techicolor box for super 8 camera...I used my lights on a video movie I made some years back, and I kept one light on too long...it started smoking!!! We just laughed, let it cool down, and nicknamed it Smokey Joe..!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

OK, now about the lights. I don't like the fact that it isn't grounded. (it only has two leads, not three.) I'm concerned that the light is so narrowly focused that it will limit your ability to use it.

However, a good old fashioned bounce off of a not too high ceiling (10 feet or under), or bouncing against a wall, should give you a good soft light source, but remember, you probably won't be able to put it near either the wall or the ceiling because it could be a fire hazard and it won't soften sufficiently (meaning the light source has expanded in diameter as it leaves the light)

I hope the patterns I saw on the glass surface of the light dissipates over distance so that it doesn't appear as lines on someones face.

Make sure not to have it near anyone's face whenever you plug it in. And, don't get your finger oils on the glass, as that will make the glass smoke and possibly explode.

You might want to test how long the light can be left on before it either overheats or begins smoking before you shoot a scene with your actors.

It's extremely important that you have two sets of gloves that can withstand the high temperature the light will emit, and that you have a light stand that will properly hold the light, and give you the added flexibility of how how or low you need to put the light for optimal bounce lighting position.

Definitely don't point these lights directly at anyone, unless they are terrorizing you or they are burglars, and you should probably sandbag the light stand to help prevent it from falling over if bumped by someone.

And always assume the light may fall over wherever you put it, and make sure nothing flammable or human is in the area the light would land if it fell. [img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">Originally posted by MikeyB:
    if you like the box, you'd love my garage!! I have similar lights I got at a garage sale...plus my old Techicolor box for super 8 camera...I used my lights on a video movie I made some years back, and I kept one light on too long...it started smoking!!! We just laughed, let it cool down, and nicknamed it Smokey Joe..!</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

See, it was easier back in the day. Nowadays it's careful this, careful that!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hehe. These lights are weapons!

Thanks for the advice. I don't have a stand yet but my teachers says she'll keep me posted because she still has a lot of cleaning to do.

I'll let you know what I end up doing for my setup.

ChrisA