Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need some explaining on the look of DV v. film.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the suggestion about photo-flood lights Mikey B, that will make an excellent new topic post! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow...thanks for all the feedback. So much to learn! I'll have to look into a filter or just to play around with. For now, to the hardware store!

ChrisA

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you take a good look a daytime soap operas you will get a good idea of what 'pro' video looks like. Even though the image is perfectly exposed, crisp and overall has a pro production treatment: It still looks like it was just shot with a really good camcorder. Which it was. It looks very flat and looks nothing like film. To me the better a video camera you use the more it looks like video. 24p video is somewhere in between film and regular interlaced video

For film watch a sitcom like Friends. Shot on 16mm film. This show should stand out like night and day from a soap opera.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Friends is shot on 16mm????? I would have thought that they would use 35mm. What about other series that are filmed, like Will and Grace, Cheers, etc....?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MikeyB:
    Friends is shot on 16mm????? I would have thought that they would use 35mm. What about other series that are filmed, like Will and Grace, Cheers, etc....?</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well it would be Super 16mm. I would say that sitcoms which use film nowadays are Super 16. Cheers started back in 1982(?) . I don't know, did they have Super 16 back then? All I can be positive of is that Cheers is defintiely film.

TA 152

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 28, 2003 05:36 AM: Message edited by: S8 Booster ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know for sure, but I would guess it's 35mm simply because each of the "friends" now makes around 1 million dollars an episode!

The show is going to be big in syndication, (or perhaps I should say already is) so it would make sense to do 35mm only.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I guess they would use 35mm now due to the amount of money put into the show these days. However a 'friend' has Friends season 1+2 on DVD and from the shows I saw if they are 35mm then its really bad looking 35mm! [img]graemlins/film.gif[/img]

TA 152

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 28, 2003 05:37 AM: Message edited by: S8 Booster ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sometimes the local stations would cut up the classics from the 70's and 80's, such as Cheers and Hill Street Blues, the result was hideously ultra contrasty shows where the background looked like it was either pitch black or a glob of light.

If they go back to the original transfer, and stay in digital betacam, these two shows, Hill Street Blues and Cheers, (although not the clothing or hair styles) should look quite modern.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12