Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have 3 cameras I want a polarizing filter for...my Bell and Howell super 8 (62mm), my Pentax P3 35mm (50mm), and my Sony trv-900 mini-dv camcorder (52mm)...Is there a way to buy one polarizing filter in a size that can be used by all three devices, or is the size too different? If I can use just one, should it be a 62mm? I know there are threaded rings that allow you to put a different size filter on cameras...also....I don't want to spend a great deal of money on the filter...i just need a circular polarizing filter that's reasonably priced...would a local camera store be good, or am I better off buying off the net, and is there a decent brand at a good price I should be looking at? thanks, mike

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mike,

Ive been looking at filters too and reading up on them. What you need is a 62mm filter because its the largest thread size out of your 3 cameras. To fit this filter to your other cameras you need to use a step down ring which will screw onto the 62mm filter so that it can be attached to the small lens threads. A 62mm - 52mm step down ring is not available to the best of my knowlage, but it can be made up by using a 62 - 58, and then attach that to a 58 - 52.

Im not so sure about the 50mm, i think thats a rather unusual thread size. I cant really help you with the prices as Im in England, but i hope this helps.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by technicolour:
    Mike,

To fit this filter to your other cameras you need to use a step down ring which will screw onto the 62mm filter so that it can be attached to the small lens threads.

</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

Acutally he needs a step up ring. A 62 to 52 step down is for a 62mm lens to use a 52mm filter.

50mm is definitely odd. Thats not a regular filter size. It might be an old "series" size or the 50mm is just refering to the focal length and is not the filter size.

For buying you can always check ebay as I often buy nice "old stock" new never used filters for way less than current new ones.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree with camera guy your best bet is to look on the net for used filters in good condition. They normally are cheaper than buying them new in the camera shop. Cokin and Hoya are two good brands that come to mind. You can probably find a polarizing filter and the step down ring(s) you need for $20-30 max if you look around.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I had this problem several years ago and when up to a series 9 filter size.

Using adapters for all my camera's still and film.Last year I got a Matt box from CA Vision..not a bad prices compared to Hollywood. But still a little pricey.

I got a two stage that works with 3x3 or 3x4 filters, that rotate. I've even been able to stick one of my series 9 rounder filters in one of the slots.

You can by the fixed focus model that works with DV cameras or the one with rods, for lenses that rotate. Check it out first it will not work with all brands of cameras. I own a Sony VX-1000 and a Nikon still system, that both share the same filter set and Matt box.. The 3x3 and 3x4 filters will work in my Arri 35 2-A a ventage camera from 1936.

I just got a Nizo 8001 and I think I'm going to have problems with the Matt box, and I will probably go back to the series 9 and taping it on to the lens barrel
    ...I'm not sure.

CA VISION http://www.cavision.com

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You're right about the 50mm size..it is the focal length...duh!!!! The inside of the camera lens cap says 51mm...is that a more standard and believable size?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

errrm not so sure about 51mm either!

52mm is a standard size, that will probably fit

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good catch Technicolor.

The sizes I am familar with are 46mm, 49mm, 52mm, 55mm, 58mm, 62mm, 67mm, 72mm, 77mm (somewhere around this size they call the filters series C) I'm not sure about the 46mm, but all the rest of the filter sizes I am sure.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I tried my 52mm nd filter...too big! Maybe it's some sort of odd size..it's a Pentax camera from 1985...with a pentax lens...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry Mike, I thought you were referring to the super-8 camera. The filter sizes I quoted as being "standard" apply to super-8mm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast