Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Forget my 4 x 5 Sinar , for get by Blad and Nikon, I am getting Holga!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does your wife know? [img]graemlins/shhh.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

[img]cool.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ August 29, 2003 05:21 AM: Message edited by: cameraguy ]</font></font>

Original Message reinserted by the moderator to keep the topic thread intact.

Originally posted by Greg_C:
    Forget my 4 x 5 Sinar , for get by Blad and Nikon, I am getting Holga!
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">$25 for a medium format camera? Is that for real or am I unconscious again?

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 03, 2003 04:26 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

From Calumet Photographic, Chicago

Some of today's leading commercial and fine-art photographers use the Holga as their principal camera, not because it is a precision piece of equipment, but precisely because it is not. The Holga is used by successful photographers to create imaginative and innovative images for magazine ads, editorial assignments and for personal work seen on the walls of leading galleries and museums. It is the Holga's inherent problems ? its lack of sharp focus, lens distortion, light leaks, and aberrations ? that give it its unique qualities. Light leaks and accidental double exposures make the camera a fun tool, full of surprises. The Holga looks like (and is) a cheap carnival toy, but in the hands of a real artist, it becomes a creative tool.

After you have come to know your Holga with a few test rolls of film, you will understand your camera and be able to use it more creatively.
    Having Fun With The Holga

You will also find that people respond to you differently when using this unobtrusive looking camera. It will be easier to approach people, because no one will suspect you are a serious photographer with "that fancy" camera in your hands. You will be able to get into places where professional cameras are barred, and you will find that people respond more naturally when they are around a Holga. You will find photography becoming a whole lot more fun.

Since it is difficult to take this plastic camera seriously, you will wind up playing more, which will directly affect the way you see, the way you work and the images you make. The camera's ability to advance the film only partially into the next frame allows for an extended frame. Double exposures are not only possible, but often unavoidable.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 20, 2003 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Greg_C ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It might help if you guys add the necessary info so the rest of us know what's going on. Like, a link. [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

It's for real but the lens is a piece of plastic. Spring for a $50 Seagull.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ August 29, 2003 05:22 AM: Message edited by: cameraguy ]</font></font>

Original Message reinserted by the moderator to keep the topic thread intact.

So the Holga's a fad? Looks more like "The Bentley of medium format" to me [img]wink.gif[/img]

I've actually been shopping for a medium format camera to replace my recently deceased 35mm SLR. I'm likely gonna get a TLR, a perfect match for my Bolex's.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 03, 2003 04:27 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Greg_C:
    I am getting Holga!
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">i've shot some stuff with one of these, they're kinda nutty.

using one of these is sorta equivalent to shooting a movie with a fisher price pxl-2000.

there's a number of guys i know that have these things modified for controlling flashes and the whole deal. i thought the camera was mostly junk though.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Very interesting! I have a Kodak Brownie camera that uses that kind of film...it took "OK" pictures, but not as nice as my 35mm...must be the cheap lens Kodak put on it.