Thread: "A Night in the Ozarks", a super-8 live performance music video available on DVD.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

And I worked on it! A long time ago!

Dillards Press Release

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here is the actual article just in case the link ever goes bad.

Before singer/songwriter John McEuen helped found the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and became an internationally acclaimed figure in acoustic, country and Americana music circles, he heard as a teenager in Southern California the spectacular sounds of the Dillards, a magnificent ensemble. Many years later in 1991, McEuen assembled the Dillards and several outstanding sound technicians and camera operators over a six-day period. They joined forces to make A Night In the Ozarks, a 90-minute documentary that has previously been available only on VHS by mail order.

But that changes in November, with the formal DVD release of A Night In the Ozarks (Varese Sarabande). Nashville audiences will be the first to see this enhanced version Friday morning with the premiere screening of the film at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum?s Ford Theater at 10:30 a.m. McEuen along with Douglas and Rodney Dillard will be in attendance, with a Q&A and reception scheduled to follow the presentation.

?The Dillards are a combination of Flatt & Scruggs and the Smothers Brothers,? McEuen said. ?They?ve paid attention to both aspects. They?re great entertainers and they?re amazing musicians. They are also a wonderful ensemble, and they all interacted so well that making the film was just a great six-day event in my life.?

A Night in the Ozarks was shot with four super-8 film cameras and two video cameras. McEuen chose a deserted farmhouse in the Ozarks a few miles outside the Dillards? hometown and set things up as though they were preparing for a concert road trip. Mike Denecke, an Academy-Award winning sound technician who also engineered the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band?s ?Mr. Bojangles? placed multiple microphones together in key, hidden locations for optimum reproduction. McEuen also took full advantage of the extra time provided by the film?s shift to DVD.

?We were able to use add a lot of extra footage,? McEuen said. ?There are new photos, a 15-minute director?s segment, an expanded biography, and we also have menus where people can either just check out songs or find our more about the Dillards.

?The two great things about this film are the fact that the Dillards agreed to do it and that I had the type of friends in the business who could really help me capture the essence of their music,? McEuen added. ?What I wanted to do was capture the flavor and the spirit of the things that I heard after their sets, and show the conversations where they talked about the source of those songs. I?ve always said that if it weren?t for the Dillards there would never have been any Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Almost everything musically that I?ve done since first hearing them has been inspired by those sounds, and this film was the chance to really show them at their best.?

What: The premiere screening of A Night in the Ozarks

When: 10:30 a.m. Friday

Where: The Ford Theater, Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, 222 Fifth Ave. N.

Cost: Free and open to the public

Info: 416-2001

----------------------------------------------------

Notice the lack of a date and area code. Kind of gives the internet press release that hometown, Andy Griffith feeling, no?