Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OK...the thinkg is that I have know clue as to films and the cameras filmmakers use! I do know how to use my video camera and I know how to create certain effects BUT I would really like to know what teh differnce a *MM or a 16 MM or a 35MM film can make. I know film is WAY expensive and I don't want to waste any of it when I finally do start to shoot.

Thank you for the input!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Hello there Xtlo
    I reckon that the first thing that you have going for yourself is that you are confident around your own camera. Who cares whether it is video or not. You will be able to create a better film with equipment that you know than with expensive equipment that you don't.
    You have all that you need to get going right there. The basics such as continuity of direction, framing, contrast and coverage do not discriminate between what format you are shooting on. Indeed, it is probably better to have an "easy to experiment on " format that you can cheaply and effectively use.
    As for your other question. There is a world of complex camera gear out there that would take forever to learn. The main difference is that 16mm film is half the width of 35mm film. If you have a normal stills camera you will already know the size of 35mm film, half it and there you have the physical size of 16mm. 35mm, because it is bigger and has more surface area available to reproduce the image, is a lot clearer and has less grain on screen. This is very, very rough. For a better overview of the whole process may i suggest two books. One Steven Bernsteins "film Production" I think published by focal press and "The Guerilla filmakers handbook" just going into its second edition. This covers a lot of basic and is also (coincidentally) written by a fellow Brit.

Cheers

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

Kino-
    Thank you!!!
    Really! I had no idea film grain was because of film size! See how novice I am!!

I like film quality but video is the easiest and cheapest (since you can record over and over the tape -yeah I know tape degrades-)

Thank you again for your info! biggrin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Wooooowwww. Hold ya horses there boss.
    Film grain isn't dependent on stock size. (sorry I probably didn't make it very clear).
    Grain is more evident on 16mm because you obviously have to blow it up a lot more to fill the same amount of space as a projected 35mm frame. Say a figure fills half the frame. On 16mm that is roughly 8mm. Grain doesnt get any smaller as film stock gauge goes down. The larger the stock 35mm, 70mm the less the grain is part of (if you like) the entire percentage image. On 35mm the figure would be 17.5mm across meaning a lot less magnification in projection and a lot less "perceived" grain. As another rule, fast film stocks (ie very sensitive) have more grain (bigger grain is more light reactive) and slow stocks (less sensitive) are finer and have less grain. Ten years agi this was very evident but today the newer emulsions are getting very good.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face

Having read what I have just written, I'd be suprised if you understood it. I've even confused myself!!!

Sorry

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi xtlo,
    If its video you intend to use, why not shoot on video and then capture it into your computer and use a program like premiere to edit it. Once into premiere you could apply a cinema film effect to your clips and then output the result to a vhs tape. Its a good system when just practicing and when you have learned all your mistakes then move on to film. ( for this you would need something like a pinnacle dc30+ capture card second hand ?200)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you agains ppl for letting me in o this!

Mart: I think I will take your advice and try to do video stuff before going on the film stock...

Kino: Yes. a bit confusing...but I think I wa able to muddle through it. I have got a LOT to learn!! biggrin

I plan on taking a course next summer at the New York Film Academy. They use 8mm. So i get to "write shoot and edit my own film!" I hope I get to do this like the ad says! LOL! I will definately be checking her often for advice! biggrin Who knows maybe I can teach all that i have learned to another curious passerby!