Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi, i'm nearing completion of a short film script and I think it is of genuine quality. So, I want to try and get it produced. However, I have no idea about how to go about this. Also, i am no filmmaker and so I wont be shooting it myself.
    If anyone can give any information about what I should do with the script, it would be greatly appreciated.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just popped into this board for the first time today (I usually hangout at Mike Brantley's Super 8 forum across the virtual way, and a few other non-hostboard sites) and I see no one has replied to you, so let me be the first.

First, where do you live? If you are anywhere near London, you should be able to throw a rock and hit a filmmaker. Most Metro areas of any real size have film organizations ranging from huge film commissions to aid Hollywood prods in locations, permits, etc. to intimate groups of small-gauge enthusiasts who gather at a cafe once a week and chat or screen their films. I would assume you would find at least one or two in Manchester, Bristol (Maybe), Nottingham, and many in London proper. Hang out at these places, go to their meetings. People will invariably ask what you do. You'll probably find a director you click with. Do the same thing at colleges. I have gotten tons of amazingly talented individuals to work on projects in both technical and artistic capacities (for free I might add, I mean, no ones paying these kids anyway, they just want to create, and the chance to do something "professional" - i.e. not originating at their college - is a welcome opportunity). I bet you could find a talented directing major who would love to shoot your script. It might not reach massive audiences but it will be made.

One thing I should point out is that you must keep this in mind: there is absolutely NO market for short film. It's the modern poetry of the cinema world. I know, there are tons of websites devoted to it, there are probably more short films made per year than features, but effectively no one buys it (Big Film Shorts - a short distributor - is apparently trying to get shorts back into theatres at the beginning of features, but I'll believe it when I see it.). Festivals and websites and a few independent TV stations are about your only outlet. I say this to point out that you will probably not be able to walk into a production company, pitch your script to a producer and have him pay you for the script. You will most likely produce it on your own and therefore must find filmmakers to work on it for the love of the art form, not because they want to win an Oscar. But hey, look in the yellow pages, call the local producers and production companies, check out their websites; you might find someone interested in your type of film. (Then you'll have to post a message about how to pitch a script, but that's another matter.)

Also, what genre is your script? Short comedies are slightly more sought after than other genres. But, the genre, the length, what format you envision it in, will affect who will have interest and where to find them.

Checkout these websites: www.rivalquest.com www.exposure.co.uk www.cinemaweb.com www.moviemaker.com (great magazine) www.creativescreenwriting.com (the definitive screenwriter's trade mag)

Plus, make sure the script is very finely tuned. Rewrite, rewrite, rewrite. Post a link to it on these and other message boards, and ask for critiques. There are are alot of very experienced people who troll these sites. (check out the super8filmmaking forum, even if you don't use 8mm, these guys are really enthusiastic about film and it rubs off) Don't get too attached to the script that you can't make changes, people will offer "constructive criticism" directors will say "I'll do it if we can change this..." and so on.

Anyway, I know this is long, but I've made up for everyone that passed you over. E-mail me if you need any advice. Have a great time with it, man.