Thread: Any opinions on eyepieces vs. LCD displays?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I shoot a lot of wrestling matches and live music events. For these having an lcd display that I can see when I'm lifting the camera up a few feet over my head on a monopod comes in handy. But I can understand if you're using your camera strictly for making movies the insistance on using just the eye piece as it does seem to increase your focus.But I still kind of like being able to keep an eye on both the action and the shot.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As far as I can tell, the main advantage of the eye piece is that it doesn't use as much battery power. I suppose it helps with framing the image and cutting out the ambient distraction, but you can frame pretty well with an LCD too.

------------------
    Imagination is more
    important than knowledge
    - Albert Einste

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LCD displays are very useful to see your shot, especially when doing non tripod shots and you need to be aware of your surroundings so you cna move around and still see your shot. I once flew a plane and managed to film myself doing so by using a LCD display. They're also pretty bad as you can get sunlight on them and not see your shot. I know of one instance when a sleepy cameraman (no names) was getting a shot on a LCD and didn't notice the boom in shot as the sun was replecing on the screen- doh. but I find them very useful myself

k

------------------