Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Hi im making a movie with a few gun fight scenes does anyone have any suggestions with making the gun flash when it is being fired?

Regards
    Jon

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've got a theoretical solution that I plan on trying when I get my movie onto the computer:

If you're editing on a computer (and depending on what editing program you're using), you could go to the exact frame that you want the flash to occur and split the timeline before and after that frame (maybe two - go with what works.) So take that frame into an image editing program such as Photoshop or what have ya, and add in a believable flash.

It probably wouldn't have to look too great, as it would only be onscreen for a frame or two. That coupled with the sound of a gunshot, I think, would be convincing enough. Of course, it depends on the surroundings. If the gun is being fired near other things, you'd have to take into account the flash showing up on objects near the gun.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well u could rig a camera light that flases and make it only flash when u need it to

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Does anyone have any other ideas. I am looking for ways to make a gun scene but I need it to be very easy. Any suggestions?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Export the clip as a image sequence then open up each image (frame) in paint and draw a light bolt by hand on each image so that the light bolt increases in size in each frame. Import the sequence back into the editing package and you should now have the type of result your looking for.

I'm not saying this will look great but it requires no compositing or 3d packages and is relatively simple.