Thread: Braun Nizo Super 8 Camera--Please Help!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Greetings:

I just bought a Braun Nizo 3048 Camera from a fellow in Germany, and I am having problems getting the Camera to respond with the Six Double "AA" Batteries that I was instructed to use. The Battery Box instructions indicate that 1.2 Volt Nickel Cadmium Batteries should be used, but the Seller of the Camera claims the Camera should power up fine with the use of the Double "AA" Batteries. The insert in the Battery Box indicates the same, however, I have been unable to get the Camera to work. I have moved all of the Camera dials to the "red dots", and I am pressing on both the Electrical Master Switch and Release Button as instructed.

I do not have the Owner's Manual for the Nizo 3048, however I have used the 6080 and 6056 Manual that is on the Internet to help me with the use of the Camera. Is it possible that the Batteries are not loaded properly in the Camera? I have tried loading them several different ways. My housemate has a Nizo 801, and he was unable to get the Camera to function either. I am under the impression that the Camera just does not work, but the Seller is so positive that the Camera does function that he asked me to seek help on this site.

Is there anyone out there that can help me with this? I would really appreciate any help that you can offer!

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Scarlett
    [img]graemlins/film.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

First I would not recommend using AA batteries for the sound model Nizo's. Although they should power the camera they have a well known history of blowing out the lightmeters. Some people claim to have no problems with AA's but why risk it, I have a 3048 that is totally mint and runs perfectly (whisper quiet) but the meter is toast and now the camera is just a spiffy paperweight.

As for your camera not running, I don't know. Sounds like you have all the basics covered to where the camera should have responded. Only thing I can think of is that maybe the metal contacts inside the handle are not making a good connection with the inserted battery pack. Or maybe the wiring inside the camera is faulty where it ran for the seller but now after the trip is not working. The left side of the camera just lifts right off when the screws are removed so you can take a look to see the condition of the circuit board.

Lastly, did you happen to buy it from Alex Peters?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cameraguy:

I hope that you are doing well, and I would like to thank you for your reply! I would also like to thank you for the heads up on the Double ?AA? Batteries as far as their use in the Nizo Sound Cameras. I would hate to blow out the light meter on a Camera like this.

I have looked closer inside the handle, and the contacts at the bottom seem to look okay. There is no rust or evidence of a prior battery leak. I looked in the handle and battery box as soon as the Camera arrived due to the odd smell and dried leakage that was under the foam in the Camera?s Leather Case. Not only did the Camera arrive reeking of cigarette smoke, but also there was another odd smell that I have been unable to identify. There was also a white flaky substance on the Camera, Microphone, and the Wires that came with the Camera. I managed to clean most of it off the equipment, and I think that the white flaky substance is from the foam container inside the Camera Case. I hope the white flakes are not a sign of dried battery acid or oxidation, but I am not sure(?).

Unfortunately, I have no instructions that indicate exactly which direction the batteries themselves should be inserted inside the Battery Box, but I as well as my housemate have tried every conceivable combination or pattern with no results. I might try unscrewing the Camera to take a look at the circuit board as you have suggested. If I play around with the Camera too much, I might be accused of breaking it! The fellow in Germany offered to accept the Nizo back and refund my money, but he never answered my question as to how he actually powered up the Camera before selling it.

I waited for two weeks for the Camera to arrive from Germany, and I would hate to send it back. It is a beautiful Camera, but it is of no use to me if it is not working. It is probably best to send the Camera back considering the Camera not powering up is not the only problem. The Camera Lens is not completely clear (a little foggy or hazy), the windshield on the Microphone keeps falling off (although it appears that it was glued to the Microphone at one point), and a bright bronze colored wire is sticking out of the Microphone Cable. The windshield on the Microphone is easily replaceable, but I am not sure about the cable or the Camera?s Lens.

I did not buy the Camera from Alex Peters. I bought the Camera from a guy named Marcus. He has been really professional about the entire thing, and I appreciate him offering to accept the camera back. I would hate for Marcus to receive the Camera back and have no trouble getting the Camera to power up, so I am trying my best to get the Camera to work.

I would like to thank you again for your help! If you think of anything else, please drop me a note.

Sincerely,

Scarlett

[img]graemlins/film.gif[/img]