Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

All True!,

The last K-40 has apparently already been manufactured, although there is supposed to be quite a bit still available there are rumors everywhere.

I have a year's worth of K-40 left and I'm hoping the transition to 64T is over before it runs out.

In the USA, Kodak is supposed to continue accepting mailers for processing until March of next year, but Dwaynes states they will process S8 K-40 as long as 16mm and 35mm K-40 is available. European mailers are supposed to continue to be accepted into 2007.

The new stock is 64 ASA Ektachrome, which means many cameras that don't notch to 64 and don't have manual exposure are soon becoming paperweights. The good news is it is an E6 process, so many more labs than the two we've had for K-40 should be able to process the film.

Apparently the driving force here is that the land the Switzerland lab occupies will be sold, and it's not economical to move the lab. Rather than leave processing of K-40 entirely in the hands of one (non Kodak) lab worldwide, they've decided to replace the stock entirely in S8. At least for the time being 16 and 35mm Kodachrome will continue.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Hi BB,

We are living in historic times, then - the last users of 8mm K40: this glorious workhorse must have been introduced way back when? [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

Also, please advise - I have a reel of s8 Eastman Kodak Ektachrome which my local shop has refused to (send off to) develop. Can I manually post this to Switzerland myself, with return postage included, would Kodak process this film ...
    [img]eek.gif[/img] because they are still processing the last batch/es of K40?

If not, I would be willing to mail it Stateside?

Thanks,

Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I believe the original Kodachrome was introduced around 1935, but if I'm wrong I'm probably no more than a decade off.

It's always amazing to find old Kodachrome that has been nicely kept. It holds up very well. Last Spring I projected a Kodachrome wedding film at the couple's 50th anniversary, and other than the clothing styles and haircuts you'd swear it was shot six months ago.

Ektachrome is a different process than Kodachrome, and from what I've heard a much simpler one. I don't think the Swiss lab handles it. However I may be speaking from ignorance since I don't personally use the stuff.

I have a feeling that there is a European lab (if not many) that can process your film. If not, here's one in New York:

http://www.pac-lab.com/mainpage.htm

I'll admit I've never used them, but I've heard good things about them.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 22, 2005 11:28 PM: Message edited by: BolexPlusx ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

been off the forum for a while, and filming in Wales - only to return to London to be told [by Widescreen company] that Kodak has stopped making K40 [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] (and S8 Ektachrome), and that when the current stocks are gone there will be no more?

Widescreen tell me that Kodak are bringing out a NEW s8 film in October this year, called Kodak T60 or something - does anyone have any more information on this subject, please?

[img]confused.gif[/img]

Thanks,

ric

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BolexPlusx wrote:

I believe the original Kodachrome was introduced around 1935, but if I'm wrong I'm probably no more than a decade off.
    It's always amazing to find old Kodachrome that has been nicely kept. It holds up very well. Last Spring I projected a Kodachrome wedding film at the couple's 50th anniversary, and other than the clothing styles and haircuts you'd swear it was shot six months ago.

&gt;do you lube/archive your footage, BB?

Ektachrome is a different process than Kodachrome, and from what I've heard a much simpler one. I don't think the Swiss lab handles it. However I may be speaking from ignorance since I don't personally use the stuff.

&gt;well, Widescreen (London) used to send it off somewhere 'to be processed', presumably to Kodak -but they said there would be a 2 month delay due to the discontinuation of the stock now; but i cannot see the logic here: if Kodak are still processing their stocks down to the last reel, why the hold up - it has made me rather suspicious?

I have a feeling that there is a European lab (if not many) that can process your film.

&gt; this must be where Widescreen sent the film?

If not, here's one in New York:

http://www.pac-lab.com/mainpage.htm

&gt; thanks; i have also emailed Martin Baumgarten -

&gt; http://members.aol.com/Super8mm/Super8mm.html

I'll admit I've never used them, but I've heard good things about them.

&gt; thanks again, BB. Ektachrome was a pale film which tended to 'bleach out' in brilliant sunshine, i much preferred K40 (and Fuji 25)

ric

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

yes, Martin says he can do it! - and i checked the Nizo reprint manual which says the camera can handle ASA 10-100 (daylight), so the new 64T should be okay?

[img]graemlins/rainbow.gif[/img]

ric