Thread: I can't sum it up

becomedeath

gentlemen,
    What is the highest ASA reversal out there for super 8? I am very fond of the look of K40, but would like to do alot of interior shots, with interior lighting. To be more specific, I would like to do alot of interviewing at a local waffle house at night. The lighting is wonderful, but its probably too low for K40 to pick it up. Then again, I haven't tried it yet. I shot a roll of 200 ASA negative stock inside a laundromat at night with similar lighting and was very fond of the results, but the cost of transferring negative is disguisting. This leads to a couple of more questions. 1--Could you just have a place process your negative rolls and send it back to you, then import the original film into your computer via the workprinter then using a lovely editing program get the positive image? I think negative stock is wonderful, but as I said before the cost of transferring is quite high. and 2--when will the workprinter be available for macintosh?
    ignorantly yours,
    tayman strahorn

------------------

MovieStuff

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by becomedeath:
    Could you just have a place process your negative rolls and send it back to you, then import the original film into your computer via the workprinter then using a lovely editing program get the positive image?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the WorkPrinter will handle negative film just fine. However, there are two things that make transferring negative MUCH better and easier:

1) It is really best if you use a camera with manual white balance. The trick is to use a piece of unexposed, processed negative (which is nothing but orange masking) and white balance to that piece of film. Doing so will nutralize the the orange masking and leave you with nothing but negative color images. Then it's easy to invert the color on the timeline of your NLE program.

2) Invest in a cheap real time negative proc amp like a Videonics Video Equalizer so that you can view your transfer as a "positive" image. Most of these units don't have good enough resolution for doing the actual transfer but, if put "down stream" from the computer going into your video monitor, will allow you to see a positive image, even though you are actually capturing a negative image on the computer. (make sense?) This is important because it is very difficult to determine correct exposure when capturing a negative image. The videonics unit will let you see the results of your exposure adjustments while you're transferring.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by becomedeath:
    when will the workprinter be available for macintosh?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, there's been quite a bit of discussion about this very subject in a different thread. The long and short of it is that the Mac is too slow at capturing single frames to keep up with the 6fps demand rate of the WorkPrinter-2. I have a couple of clients using the WorkPrinter-3 and, even then, they have to use an intervalometer to stretch out the captures since their Macs are taking anywhere from 1-3 seconds to write each frame to the drive. Otherwise, the Macs fall behind. They don't drop frames but they do fall out of synch. Using the intervalometer gives the Mac time enough to complete each capture.

Roger

------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html