Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is everyone okay?

8th Man

Absolute shock. I can hardly type. My prayers go out. I just can't believe what I'm seeing;I hope there are no more surprises today.It's gonna be hard to get on a plane this Sunday, even in Asia. so far from all this.
    God bless

------------------
    PRM

Alex

I hope we can save ALL the survivors still trapped in the rubble.

Some trapped victims have made calls with their cell phones!

I hope they can be found and saved.

-Alex

------------------

penshuffler

My heart goes out to the victims, their families and friends of everyone killed or injured.

I feel traumatised by this whole thing, especially as I visited New York a couple of years ago and was in the World Trade Centre several times. I just cannot believe this has happened.

------------------

MovieStuff

I wrote a poem this morning also:

I stepped on a cockroach and it went away.
    The others learned nothing and came to stay.
    So I stepped on some more and they, too, took the rap.
    But the others are martyrs so they don't give a crap.
    They keep coming and though you may step on their brothers,
    The others say, "Thank you Allah, may I please have another?"

I realize that these are fanatics we are dealing with and that there are good people in every country as well as bad people. But how do you fight people that believe in martyrdom that have no other purpose in their miserable lives than to wipe out every American on the face of the earth? I hope they burn in hell and that the decent people of their land realize the very dangerous position these fanatics have put the rest of their population in.

Again, has anyone heard from Nigel? I am getting concerned.

Roger

[This message has been edited by MovieStuff (edited September 12, 2001).]

Dominic3
    I lived in Tribeca for 4 years, a very short distance from the World Trade Center, it is quite incredible what has happened. I may be in London now, but all my sympathies go to New York - indeed my best friends brother is currently alive but trapped in the downtown devastation.

The perpetrators of this act who hold death and sacrifice as their standard of value and who have no regard for the right of the individual to his own life & property, must not be appeased intelectually by those so say that the USA should not retaliate.

Anyone who regards it as morally acceptable to INITIATE the use of physical force against another individual, for what ever purpose, must accept the moral consequences of the use of retaliatory use of force.

------------------

chas_ucla

My brother-in-law lives in Manhatten, about a mile away from the World Trade Center -- what used to be, anyway-- he is ok, thank God. So is his girlfriend. They are trying to figure out if they know anyone who worked there. I hope everyone else from this Board is ok!

------------------

Alex

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MovieStuff:

I realize that these are fanatics we are dealing with and that there are good people in every country as well as bad people. But how do you fight people that believe in martyrdom that have no other purpose in their miserable lives than to wipe out every American on the face of the earth? I hope they burn in hell and that the decent people of their land realize the very dangerous position these fanatics have put the rest of their population in.

Again, has anyone heard from Nigel? I am getting concerned.

Roger
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In our own way, this country has it's own "quirks"...only ours produce beauty, so we don't categorize them as evil..

The Commercials for the new 2002 Ultra-Mega Stupifying SUV is awesome to look at...but look at the hidden message...

"Me drive big burly car in a country that consumes more energy than it produces"....

"But because America is a number one military might, we will get whatever energy we need and no one had better stop us"..."

We will go to war to keep all of our oil resources flowing....

So we build cars that are not fuel-efficient, than let the world know not mess with our oil supplies, wherever they may be throughout the world.

I'm angry at what has happened, but it's important to see that our squeeky clean commericals do their own insidious damage, because we don't seem them as offensive when they in fact are.

Glorifying any crap product, especially one that requires us to need worldwide resources does not make us as innocent as we believe.

-Alex

------------------

pineapplefilms

It was and is nuts!! I tell you though, New Yorkers get a bad rap(and rightly so) sometimes but I went by the Red Cross to help out and what I saw amazed me. I saw a line of over a thousand people which snaked around a block of volunteers to donate their manpower, their services and their blood. It was phenomenal. Thanks for asking folks.

------------------

[This message has been edited by pineapplefilms (edited September 12, 2001).]

Alex

I keep mulling over those minutes on the hijacked planes before the planes were crashed into their intended targets.

I can only begin to imagine those horrific minutes for the hostages while they tried to figure out what to do.

If the hijackers only used knives and paper cutters to take over the plane, then the poor hostages must have had no idea what was about to happen.

There has been no precedent of hijackers taking control of a plane, and then flying and crashing a plane into a building, so the hostages must have assumed the plane was being stolen and taken to some other location...

The lack of "real" lethal weapons by the hijackers might have frozen the hostages into intellectualizing the situation.

Paralysis of Analysis.

When did the hostages realize what was really going to happen?

Perhaps just mere seconds before impact.

Keep in mind, there were many well educated and thoughtful people aboard these planes.

We are being too critical of the U.S. government and "safety" protocol in place. It appears that guns were not used in this hijacking. So for the most part, U.S. safety protocol did it's job...that's what makes what has happened so frustrating.

Allegedly, at least one of the planes pilots left the cockpit to "help" stop a confrontation/diversion at the back of the plane.

Lesson learned is, the pilot can never leave the cockpit to assist in ANY CONFRONTATION....

.....and perhaps a special "DIVIDER DOOR CHAMBER" must be installed so any person entering the cockpit must first walk into the chamber, (complete with video camera), before they can enter the cockpit...(this would have given the remaining pilot an extra chance to lock himself in and safely land the plane).

Once the cockpit has been taken over by hijackers, the plane must be considered a flying weapon, and from this day forward the assumption must always be that hijackers are going to use the plane as a weapon.

If this criteria had been in place, than the hostages would have known to immediately try and take back the plane...a doable scenario when one considers the hijackers allegedly had no guns.

But this type of hijacking has never happened before, so the anguish felt by the passengers in trying to figure out how to respond must have been immense.

And if the hostages on the planes had known what was going to happen, rest assured they would have attacked and overtaken the hijackers.

-Alex

P.S.....Glad to hear you're alright...Madrone,Nigel and Pineapplefilms...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited September 12, 2001).]

technicolour

totally unreal.....

Even in the UK the news was here quickly, one of my freinds i was on the bus back from college with was rung by one of my other freinds and told us what had happend, a load of them had been watching it in a tv store in the town we goto college in.

It wasnt until i saw the news and the pictures myself i realised just how awful this really is, i cant begin to think what you guys from New york must be thinking.

Regarding Alex's last post, i think the divider thing between the cockpit and the cabin is a really good idea, i had some idea of my own. If i was running an airline i think giving ALL crew self defence traning and hand to hand combatt traning and maybe even arming them with batons or something. that would deal with hi jackings and act as a deterent as well, would be a good idea.
    Alex's idea of a divider is good, i thought about the pilots being locked in the flight deck, and no one being able to get into the cockpit at all during the flight so at all times the cockpit is totally unreachable to people in the cabin (obviously the pilots would be able to get out, and have facilites etc etc)

------------------
    Jim

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast