Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is everyone okay?

Alex

I don't wonder about a credibility issue, you and Matt do...but you both sure like to repeat it over and over, because you know the more times you both repeat it, others will start believing you.

Gosh, Corporate America sure would be proud of you guys....come to think of it, so would the religious fanatics, hammer that point over and over so that's all others see.

And Roger, the gist of your previous post was "love it or leave it".

You completely ignore the points I made about the energy savings associated with my driving older cars that still equal what cars made 20 years later offer in MPG to interior space.

Take your waste label and pin in it on yourself.

-Alex

------------------

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited September 13, 2001).]

MovieStuff
    Previously, Alex wrote:

"And Roger, the gist of your previous post was "love it or leave it"."

No it wasn't. The gist of my previous argument was that you're a hyprocrit for being guilty of the very things you condemn others for. I don't think I could have been ANY plainer. Even if there is someone on this list that disagrees with my position, I don't think there is anyone other than you that didn't get the meaning straight.

I think Matt is right. You have some sort of logic problem where up is down and yes means no or something. Anyway, it's always amusing to watch the constant and endless stream of illogical rationale you present. Keep it up. After the last day or so I need a good laugh. wink

Roger

[This message has been edited by MovieStuff (edited September 13, 2001).]

MikeBrantley

Trevor, obviously I did not know this when I posted my earlier message, but Gordon Sinclair is deceased. He died in 1984, I think, and his words of tribute for Americans were written in 1973.

Nevertheless, they are poignant today. Thanks for posting them.

Anyway, here's a link to more info...
    http://www.rcc.ryerson.ca/ccf/news/unique/american.html

------

penshuffler, I note your comments re a holier than thou attitude among some of us Americans. I respect and appreciate your points. Events like those that have happened this week tend to bring out the best and worst parts of patriotism.

At any rate, thank you and your family for any and all sacrifices made in causes deemed important by our nations.

From what I've seen and heard today, I fear we are in for a long, sustained war against an enemy unlike any previous foe.

I sincerely hope we all come out of this to be in a world that isn't too far worse off than it is now. Suddenly, discussions of moviemaking seem so unimportant, don't they? I fear it may be some time before such matters seem as important as they did before Tuesday morning.

------------------
    --Mike Brantley

MikeBrantley

Guys, sorry that I seem to be posting the same message over and over again. I'll stop!

I have incredible difficulty posting to the forum today, or even trying to get duplicate messages deleted. I'm only going to click Submit Now once this time, and hope that the message posts -- once!

Later...

------------------
    --Mike Brantley

crimsonson

Matt!

Thank God I misunderstood you! I know you are better than what I originally painted you to be!

------------------

Alex

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MovieStuff:
    Previously, Alex wrote:

"And Roger, the gist of your previous post was "love it or leave it"."

No it wasn't. The gist of my previous argument was that you're a hyprocrit for being guilty of the very things you condemn others for. I don't think I could have been ANY plainer. Even if there is someone on this list that disagrees with my position, I don't think there is anyone other than you that didn't get the meaning straight.

I think Matt is right. You have some sort of logic problem where up is down and yes means no or something. Anyway, it's always amusing to watch the constant and endless stream of illogical rationale you present. Keep it up. After the last day or so I need a good laugh. wink

Roger

[This message has been edited by MovieStuff (edited September 13, 2001).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There you go again, you and Matt, Matt and you....

You continue to offend me by insinuating I have done nothing to conserve energy.

My choice to drive old, fuel efficient automobiles, rather than a new car that does not even meet the fuel economy and space requirement I currently get from my 20 plus year old cars is in fact a way to conserve energy.....

So, kindly stop with the judgements, they are not even accurate.

-Alex

------------------

MovieStuff

Alex wrote:

"So, kindly stop with the judgements, they are not even accurate."

This is probably one of the funniest things you've written to date. Why? Well, aside from the more obvious issue you suddenly have with "accuracy", you also wrote the following:

"It is 100% my view that Corporate America has grown so arrogant in this country that they simply give money to the politicians of choice, and usually both sides, and then simply do pretty much as they please."

Uh, where do you think they GET their money, Alex? Or do you buy film, equipment and supplies and gasoline by trading sea shells? I agree with your opinion that corporate America is greedy. In fact, I don't think there is anyone on this list that will argue that. But the OPEC nations aren't exactly bastions of generosity and benign alturism.

So, when it comes to the point at hand, you merely make a distinction without a difference. The factor you're leaving out is that it's YOUR money that corporate America is tossing around so offensively to you. For you to complain is silly and hypocritical. It is like continuing to supply bullets to a guy that keeps shooting at you. Merely driving an old car doesn't do anything about the real problems associated with Corporate America. It just makes you feel better because, in your mind, you aren't giving the bad guy as many bullets as you used to. Some difference, considering he's still shooting at you with what you DO give him. If you want to solve the problem, stop supporting the bad guy altogether; not just where it's convenient for you. Otherwise, your sage wisdom you post here is neither sage nor wisdom; merely so much smoke for the benefit of the viewing audience.

Roger

[This message has been edited by MovieStuff (edited September 14, 2001).]

mattias

me:
    > "do you think he will like americans more, or less, if his house gets blown up by an american "revenge operation?"

roger:
    >Oh, please. I couldn't care less.

well, maybe you should. the less he likes you, the more likely it is that he will kill you in a terrorist attack.

/matt

Alex

Roger, I believe that using less resources allows for more time for our country to develop more efficient products that use less non-renewable resources.

I've owned 3 cars in over 20 years of driving, a 18 year old car, and 8 year old, and a 13 year old car....the last two cars I still own 10 years and 13 years later...

I've bought cars that others would have scrapped within a year or two of buying.

I have never bought a new car...no new cars have been manufactured because of me....and until I find a new car that is an improvement over what I have now, continued use of my old car still saves energy over buying a new car that might be either roomier, but offer less Miles Per Gallon than I currently get...or have better gas mileage than what I drive, but have less room than I need.

I drive around 10,000 miles a year, and I wish it were less.

Did you know those big TV's we all are buying don't actually turn off when you turn them off!

I don't know the technical words, but basically, they have a picture tube heating element that uses a decent amount of electricity to stay warm while the TV is actually "off".

Now, unless I unplug my TV, I am not given a choice to put my TV in a deeper sleep mode to save even more electricity.

One "off" mode fits all.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if some Electric Industry Lobbyist greased some palms with money to make sure a DEEP SLEEP mode WAS NOT put on the Remote or offered as an option....so, no matter what you do, you are running up your electricity bill even when you think the TV is off.

hmmmm...lets see....a TV that last 6 years may now have an additional electricity bill of $100-$200 dollars over the life of the TV.... I'd rather create more efficient sleeping power supply systems and pay foreign workers more per hour to make the
    TV's....a classic example of how Corporate America steals from others in a stealthful way.

Seems to me, the ones who use American Products and Gadgets are the ideal candidates to offer ideas for changes to these products.

-Alex

------------------

MikeBrantley

Roger, thank you for opening this thread. It was and is absolutely appropriate for you or any member to inquire about the welfare of any other member when there is a tragedy such as the United States has experienced. If there is any further concern about the safety of a member of our community, do not hesitate to raise the topic again.

But let's not any of us repeat what has happened with this one. Political discussions must occur in some other forum from here on out, unless they directly relate to filmmaking.

However, this particular thread has gotten out of hand. The reasons are further explained in the other thread I have closed.

Sorry, guys. I really am.

This thread is closed.

------------------
    --Mike Brantley

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast