Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some interesting items to sell...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there!
    Once again I am selling some S8 and 16mm gear over ebay, everything with a special low starting price, hoping that the items will rise a lot. Especially the wonderful 200 ft drive for Beaulieu cameras would be wonderful for those, who use their baby on a triplet and work together with more people in planned projects. This drive allows to make live sound recordings on pre-striped 200 ft loads. Yes, they ARE available and produced by Kodak (K25 and K40):

Beaulieu 200 ft drive: http://cgi.ebay.de/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI....ndexURL=0&rd=1

Eumig projector: http://cgi.ebay.de/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI....ndexURL=0&rd=1

Bell&Howell-projector 16mm: http://cgi.ebay.de/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI....ndexURL=0&rd=1

Ennascop paper foto projector: http://cgi.ebay.de/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI....ndexURL=0&rd=1

Agfa automatic splicer: http://cgi.ebay.de/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI....ndexURL=0&rd=1

H?hnel motor splicer: http://cgi.ebay.de/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI....ndexURL=0&rd=1

Pedro

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

pedro - thanks for the tip off! how do you rate the eumig projector? compared to the elmos and brauns that we seem to talk about all the time?

TIA:

peter

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hey, i have one of those agfa splicers. do you know where to get tape for it? i've been looking everywhere, but germany seems to be the country to look to for super 8 stuff?

i also have one of those eumig projectors, and it's ok but nothing special. the image is sharp and bright, but you need a screen with a black frame, since it produces a *very* soft edge.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

He is referring to the 200' daylight loading spool film for use in the Beaulieu Super Drive 200' magazines and has nothing to do with the old 200' Kodak cartridges. Kodak makes the film but they are not stripping it, someone in Germany is.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face

Ahhhhhhhh.

Thats still good news though.

Thanks
    Scott

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

Wow, so many questions within a few hours!
    I will try to find answers for everybody:

1. Eumig projector
    Yes, this is nothing really special, but it are really steady machines, factured with high quality. They don?t have many features, but those that they have work 100%. The film gate is built with two boards and a parallel pressed presure plate. That simple and effective system provides a really sharp picture until to the borders of the picture, without any problems of fading sharpness. The frame is not softer as with other projectors, for my opinion. Let?s say, it is a basic working horse, nothing sofisticated like the Elmo. The 100 W light is sufficient for a 1,25...1,5 m screen. What is really interesting, is that this projector looks as it was never used, it even smells "new"!.

2. 200 ft drive and films.
    I don?t know who stripes the films, but I can buy here 2 different stocks (K25 and K40) in sound and silent version. The drive was introduced by the German Beaulieu partner Ritter in 1998 or 99, in Cooperation with Kodak, who is providing the films. Now Bavaria and Wittner are offering the films in Germany. Abroad, I don?t know. The drive costs new over $2000, without the camera modification. I am suspecting, that someone out there is very interested in it and offering the correct amount of money. I think the drive is very fascinating and well built, really proffessional, but I prever a compact camera with easy to handle 50 ft loads. I also like to edit on film, and for this, the 50 ft reel is the ideal size (for me). I got this drive from my grandfathers brother, who doesn?t use it anymore and just tested it with my camera (which acepts this drive). Really fantastic results and feeling, but for a one-man team too heavy.

3. Agfa splicer
    The tapes are available at Wittners and Rinser in Germany, via internet also world-wide. But I don?t like tape spliced films. My problem, therefore I?m selling it.

4. H?hnel splicer
    That is a very good one, with CAN give perfect results (no noise in the projector gate and no change of focus during the splice). A few years ago, when there were no spare grinding discs available, I bought every motor splicer I could get, only to have spare grinding discs. Now we have a new spare part provider and I will try to get rid of my motor splicer stock.

Thank you all for posting, and with any questions, please contact me!

Pedro

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Scott:
    The film comes on daylight reels, not in cardriges like in former times. It only can used in the Beaulieu drive with Beaulieu cameras. A lot of bucks, you know...
    So it?s a very specific sound film revival. And I even don?t know if it is Kodak that is striping. But I know, that it is NOT that old sound film with painted stripes, the stripes are like post-striped, with magnetic tape.
    Pedro

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

Pedro

What do you mean stiped film is available again thru Kodak? I thought all of it was discontinued...if it is true, is it only available for the 200 foot cartridges and not the 50 foot cartridges.
    Cool splicers, I have a Ciro, but am looking to get a cement in the future. Hahnel makes good products.
    Good luck on your auctions.
    Scott

[This message has been edited by Hanthx (edited July 20, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Hanthx (edited July 20, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pedro

I just might bid on your Hahnel splicer, but Ive never cement spliced my films before, just used tape splicers. The Ciro splicer Im using works great, but the tape is very expensive. Can you give me a few tips on cement splicing? :-D
    Does anyone know who sells tape splices for the ciro and doesn't charge a bundle.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Hanthx (edited July 23, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Scott,

how much is the tape for the Ciro splicer? Here at Wittners, it is very cheap, much cheaper than singular tapes. What?s expensive, is the splicer itself:

----------------------------------
    FILMKLEBEBAND 8mm, S8mm, 9,5mm

Klebeband f?r CIR Catozzo S8mm Stumpfklebepresse, 1 Rolle
    Bst. 1050
    3,02 EUR
    5,90 DEM

Klebeband f?r CIR Catozzo N8mm Stumpfklebepresse, 1 Rolle
    Bst. 1069
    3,02 EUR
    5,90 DEM

Klebeband f?r CIR Catozzo 9,5mm Stumpfklebepresse, 1 Rolle
    Bst. 1070
    3,02 EUR
    5,90 DEM
    --------------------------------------------

When cement splicing, you have different possibilities.

There are manual operated cement splicers, where you put in the film and move the grinder handle until one or two ends of the film stripes are grinded sufficient. There should be a stop for not grinding too much. Then one film end must be turned around, the cement must be applicated manually and the splicer must be closed and keep closed for about 30-60 seconds.
    Models which only grind one end of the film (the emulsion side) are not so good, as the film becomes thicker at the place of the splice. The best way is to grind both sides in a manner, that the ends combine which each other and each grinded surface covers the other. But using this system for a longer film with many splices, you need a lot of time!

The motor splicers ease that process, grinding the film with a rotating disc, when passing the handle by, which holds and fixes the film. When grinded, the handles locate the film ends automatically one above the other and you can applicate the cement - not too much, but sufficient, and close the splicer.

Motor splicers with automatic cement application help to find the correct amount of cement (H?hnel Thermo Kollmatik). They use a totally liquid kind of cement (maybe home made with acetone and dioxan) which is applicated with another small handle, turning from the cement bottle to the positioned film ends. The gap between the film ends pushes the goat of cement in between and the user closes the splicer. As the splicing location is heated electrically, the splice is ready after only 5 seconds and comes out perfectly smooth.

The really prof way of cement splicing is made with the Hamman system. The kit contains a splicer and a press. The splicer doesn?t grind the film, in order to avoid dust, it cuts the film ends in a way, that they combine together as they were grinded. Afterwards they are joined together using the press. But only the splicer is rated about $400. This way you really CAN splice S8 film absolutly proffessional, as it was 16 mm or 35 mm. The splices are invisible.

With all cement splicers, you will have to train the cement application in order to get good results. A splice is good, when it is running thru the projector without any noise and without any gap in sound. A problem is the dust produced during grinding. You should not blow it away, for not affecting the rest of your footage. Each splice must be cleaned immediatly, and the whole film must be cleaned afterwards.

Pedro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast