Thread: Prints from movie frames

tom hardwick

I love getting out my big 16" x 12" mounted Cibachrome print and showing off the capabilities of Kodachrome 40. It can look pretty impressive, and then I flip the print over and there in the centre on the back of that big piece of cardboard I have stuck one little super8 frame.

To emphasise the incredible blow-up I've cut off the two magnetic soundtracks leaving a tiny rectangle measuring 4.1mm high by 5,4mm wide. This then is a 5573x area enlargement.

Of course this is nothing compared to filling a 6' screen with the projected image, but this is a print that you can look at from a few inches and marvel at.

Now consider this. The image on the page has been pumped through 32 glass elements on the way to the paper. How? Well, the original footage was shot in a Canon 1014E so the image went through 18 elements on its way to the Kodachrome. Then there's the beam-splitting prism and my skylight filter.

This tiny frame had to be re-photographed onto 35mm Ektachrome slide film through a 6 element macro lens and the resulting 35mm slide was projected onto the Cibachrome sheet through a 6 element El Nikkor. Have you tried looking at your garden through 32 sheets of glass? Marvel more good people.

Anyone else had big prints made from frames?

tom.

------------------

Matt Pacini

I've thought of doing this before also.
    In fact, when I get my optical problems worked out, for using my Workprinter with my digital still camera, I'm going to try doing some blowups to see how large of a print I can get, and still look good.

Man, I'd love to see your pictures...

Matt Pacini

------------------

mcarter4121

How about setting up a business making posters for yours and others movies made on film?
    I used to print silk screen prints using old window frames to stretch the fabric on. An old vacume cleaner was turned into a vacume contact frame for photo screen prints using a big black light.
    Can you print transparent negs and positive sheets? They would be needed for photo prints. Posterization of the image would look cool. Otherwise, trace and print solids.

Hmmm. that instant coffee was pretty good..

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by mykidsloveAG:
    So, is there a fee to set up a pay pal account that you can use as a seller? I already have one to use as a buyer. What (approximately) would I be spending in e-bay fees to sell the tickets if I used paypal, too? If I could pocket $50 a ticket, I think I'd be better off selling them. I paid $13 for them so I need to sell them for $63 plus fees if I wanted to do that. I'm trying to figure what a BIN price would have to be to clear that, and if it's "do-able". Would you recommend selling them as a pair or individually?

ETA: That seems like a ridiculous amount to me, now that I look at it- wanting to profit $50 off a ticket. But people are buying them- certainly they don't feel like they're getting ripped off if they're doing a BIN, right?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">First of all, don't feel guilty about wanting to make a profit on the tix if you decide not to use them. There are plenty of tickets for sale where the seller is asking waaaaay more than $50 profit -- and the most expensive ones listed are being sold by an HB member. So don't feel bad.

For the record, I hate to see great doll BIN's on eBay go to resellers because those are more about being at the right place at the right time, and not all of us have the luxury of surfing eBay all day long snatching up the best deals. But these tickets are a different deal -- everyone has the same opportunity to grab them -- so I don't feel the same way as I do about the dolls. Just wanted to state my position on that since we had a discussion about reselling for profit the other day.

Anywho, if you want to be paid by PayPal, I would upgrade the account you already have. It is free to do so. You will only have to pay a fee when someone pays you by credit card.

As for fees, here are some of the total fees I have paid recently for some auctions of mine that sold. The amount includes the eBay insertion fee, eBay final value fee and the PayPal fee.

$48 auction = about $4 in total fees
    $66 auction = about $5 in total fees
    $74 auction = about $5.50 in total fees

To list your auction with a BIN will only cost you about 45 cents -- but that will increase if you want to add more bells and whistles to pretty up the listing (which is not really necessary with this kind of item).

As for selling them together or separate, I couldn't say one way or the other -- but I'm sure someone else will have a useful suggestion on that. I would keep an eye on eBay while you are making your decision -- that might help you make up your mind as well as give you some tips on how to list your tickets.