Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi guys. I am in a fulcrum of a short film production. Right now, it is time to decide which camera I am gonna use. Here is my requirements:

1. Fast and strong lens - 1.8f and 8x zoom is the minimum

2. XL and variable shutter control. I like to shoot with 180 Degrees and need the option of 200+ degrees during low light situation.

3. Quiet camera- I am shooting with sync sound (DAT and Senheisser ME66) It does not need to perform like Arri 535B 35 mm camera, but it needs to be pretty quiet. I can make a barney if I have too.

4. Under $800 - more than that I might as well shoot in 16mm.

Choices:
    1. My Nizo Pro - Good: Lens is nice and pretty quiet. Bad - Maximum shutter angle of 150.

2. My Nizo 6080 - Good: XL shutter and lens is also a beauty plus it is the quietest camera I have heard. Bad- Fixed shutter angle.

3. Canon 1014/814 XLS - Good: Meets all the requirements. Bad: OK noise level.

4. Bealiue 4008 ZM series - Good - Nice lens - Very Bad: Noise level. Some of the 4008 ZM supporters will says its pretty quiet. Yeah right! Try using it with a pro shotgun mic and it sounds like an air conditioner during a hot summer night.

All your inputs would be appreciated! Currently, I am leaning towards the Canon 1014 XL-S. I don't have it so I need to purchase it. If you are also willing to sell one - contact me also. If you have an opinion about the matter and have a 1014 XL-s for sale - please be subjective with your input wink

Thanks to all.

BTW - Shooting in Plus X film stock. THE Best Film Stock IMHO for Super 8!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've heard the Schneider lens is better and the Nizo is quieter. But I think the Canon is considered more reliable. The Canon is a great camera and I would say it's a toss up between the 1014 xl-s and your 6080. Why don't you use both? At times one will have the advantage over the other anyway.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have both cameras and really love both cameras.

True the Nizo 6080 is somewhat quieter but making a blimp is so simple and even though the Nizo is quieter than the Canon, if it were me, I'd blimp either camera.

Slow motion is better on the Nizo, but I think the lap dissolve function is superior on the Canon. I've often ended a days shooting with the Canon with a half performed lap dissolve.

Over a month later, when shooting resumed, I performed the other half of the lap dissolve with no problems whatsoever.

If you really need to shoot in low light then go with the Canon.

Both cameras take an outstanding beating but I can relay one story about my 1014 XLS... I was shooting sound film (remember when?) and the mike cable got caught in the bumber of a vehicle (see what happens when friends work for free?) --then the vehicle took off... With my Canon.

Well, 350 feet later, I picked up the camera (my ONLY Super8 camera at the time) --had a few deep scratches, a few dents, even a slight dent on the outer portion of the lens. I knew that I was finished. I knew that camera wouldn't work.

To my surprise, I finished the days shooting with no more problems. Camera performed well and still does today. All the film came out great.

On the other hand... if you want to grab a camera as you're running out the door, and do some down and dirty shooting --fast and furious, I have to say that the Nizo edges the Canon out but only so slightly.

filmy

[This message has been edited by filmsmyth (edited May 28, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What a rush to find so many bargains! There are a couple of things I'd like to have. Maybe some good deals will show up on ebay. It's nice to see the prices. I don't mind helping the seller out a little [img]tongue.gif[/img] and yet still paying less than retail [img]biggrin.gif[/img] . Thanks for the list and the pic [img]graemlins/camera.gif[/img] .